Buzz on C string Tenor Uke

Old Timer

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum so 'hello'.

I have bought a second-hand K1 Kanile'a Tenor Uke (Gloss). It sounds beautiful, looks beautiful etc, etc.

I have just one issue with it, which is... when I play the C string on the first and second frets I get a buzz. I only get the buzz on these two frets on the C string and only when I play it hard. Otherwise it is as clear as a bell.

I've read through the buzz sticky thread and can't find this precise problem, which is why I'm posting here.

I have put new strings on it (Worths) but the problem was there when I got it (it had Aquilas on). I tried taking off the saddle and putting a strip of an old library card to raise the action but that didn't make any difference. I'm wondering if I need to raise the action even more, or whether it could be a fret issue.

Or whether I should just play it more carefully and not worry about it... :)

Has anybody had a similar problem and solved it? Any advice?

Thanks so much,

Matthew (Old Timer)

Sounds like it could be a high fret (3rd or 4th) on that side of the fretboard. If the buzz could be isolated, that would help solve the mystery.

If that's it, there are a few fix choices. They include: 1) "dressing" the wayward fret so that it is unform with the rest, or 2) raising the offended string at the nut by adding a shim under the nut, or 3) adding a very small amount of filler in the appropriate nut slot, or 4) replacing the nut in entirety.

This situation (if it's a wayward fret) is not uncommon. It often occurs when the frets have never been checked for uniformity and the action is lowered a bit too much during a custom set-up. Of all the options (have done them all) #2 is what I try first.

You have two Steves that agree. No question, you need fret work.

Thanks Steve and Steve, for your answers.

The nut is at the tuning pegs end right? I'm not sure I understand why raising the nut would make a difference. When I press the C-string down onto the second fret, how will a raised nut affect this. Won't the string be pressed down against the fretboard so how does a raised nut affect that? Excuse my ignorance.

I've been playing it a bit more and I've noticed that it buzzes when a pluck the string down with my thumb (probably a bad technique). When I pluck 'across' the string there is no buzz (or much less). Still only happens on 1st and 2nd frets of C-string. But it's very hard to tell where the buzz is actually coming from. Sometimes it sounds as if it's by the saddle, or even bouncing on one of the very high frets. I can't really work it out...

Last edited:
if it were bouncing off a higher fret then it would likely happen further up the neck as well. I think your problem is the 3rd or 4th fret. If it were my uke, I'd give the 3rd fret a tap or two with a small plastic headed fret hammer in the vicinity of the string that buzzes... try the string.... then try the 4th if that doesn't do it. If neither does it, you' ll likely need fret leveling... especially if you didn't use a plastic headed fretting hammer :D.
Full caveats in effect...YMMV, in my opinion, etc...etc...

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to this forum so 'hello'.

I have bought a second-hand K1 Kanile'a Tenor Uke (Gloss). It sounds beautiful, looks beautiful etc, etc.

I have just one issue with it, which is... when I play the C string on the first and second frets I get a buzz. I only get the buzz on these two frets on the C string and only when I play it hard. Otherwise it is as clear as a bell.

I've read through the buzz sticky thread and can't find this precise problem, which is why I'm posting here.

I have put new strings on it (Worths) but the problem was there when I got it (it had Aquilas on). I tried taking off the saddle and putting a strip of an old library card to raise the action but that didn't make any difference. I'm wondering if I need to raise the action even more, or whether it could be a fret issue.

Or whether I should just play it more carefully and not worry about it... :)

Has anybody had a similar problem and solved it? Any advice?

Thanks so much,

Matthew (Old Timer)

I would recommend that you take it to a guitar technician, there should be one in your local area. These issues are never easy to diagnose without having the instrument in hand. :D You'll end up with plenty of friendly advise here but it may not pin point the problem :D

Thanks everyone for your tips and humour. Sounds like I need to take it to someone who knows how to fix ukes. I'm fairly close to the Southern Ukulele Store in the UK so I'll head over and see them. It sounds like it's fixable, which is the main thing. Best wishes to all, Matthew (Old Timer).

Top Bottom