Kala Elite 1Koa-SG Soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
SOLD!

Minty Kala Elite 1Koa-SG Soprano, 2016 Californian made.
Beautiful chimey koa tone, good volume, amazing sustain.
All solid Hawaiian Koa, Honduran Mahogany neck, Indian
rosewood fingerboard, heel cap and bridge, Koa face plate, MOP fret markers and logo.
Upgraded (as compared to the Elite 1Koa-S) UV gloss finish on the body, same as Kanile'a ukes and Taylor guitars.
Kala uses a matte finish on the neck on this line, which I simply adore - less stickiness and feels all around better.
Nut is 1.375", tuners are open geared. Comes with really nice black faux alligator Kala Elite hard case shown.

Selling only because I have too many ukes to humidify in our MN winter. This one led me to buy the Kala Elite concert. (I am determined to learn fingerstyle so I am hanging onto the longer fretboard concert.)

Here is HMS link with all the details (note the typo on nut width):
https://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-usa-elite-series-1-gloss-soprano-1koa-sg.html

These retail for $699 at HMS and Reverb.
REDUCED here to $395, shipped Priority insured CONUS. Paypal preferred.

20180714_125521.jpg

Last edited:
Realizing how difficult this is to photograph with the glassy finish. Any noted imperfections are due to reflection.
The flamey grain shimmers if you move it in the light, impossible to pick up on my cell phone camera.
There's no cloudiness whatsoever.

20180714_162207.jpg
20180714_162207.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my, you are testing my willpower. That's a great deal.

Thx Teri. It really is a gorgeous uke, the koa is bookmatched beautifully on this one which isn't always true on the 1Koa models.

Price reduction

Thx, Brenda! I've been very impressed with these ukes for the money. They compare favorably with Hawaiian made instruments.
I'm going to throw it on Reverb when I figure it out. I see Reverb charges 3.5% commission, so UU members can subtract that $15 for a purchase price of $405.
Free shipping and Kala Elite hard case.

Last edited:
Wonderful deal!! If only I had a bit more saved up.

I agree with what Brenda said, "Excellent craftsmanship and perfect intonation. You will not regret buying such high quality product at this price," as well as what ukeinfused said, " I've been very impressed with these ukes for the money. They compare favorably with Hawaiian made instruments." I bought the same model for my wife that ukeinfused is selling, and I can say that this soprano has the best sound that I have heard from a soprano, including all four Hawaiian K brands, which I have played. This sounds and plays better than the two Hawaiian made sopranos that my wife owns. I don't think you will regret buying it, especially at this price.

I agree with what Brenda said, "Excellent craftsmanship and perfect intonation. You will not regret buying such high quality product at this price," as well as what ukeinfused said, " I've been very impressed with these ukes for the money. They compare favorably with Hawaiian made instruments." I bought the same model for my wife that ukeinfused is selling, and I can say that this soprano has the best sound that I have heard from a soprano, including all four Hawaiian K brands, which I have played. This sounds and plays better than the two Hawaiian made sopranos that my wife owns. I don't think you will regret buying it, especially at this price.

I think the light build and slightly larger, rounder body adds volume and tone.
Someone buy this before I change my mind. Playing it the last couple days, I've noted such beautiful tones - it has vibrato! (Someone explain that to me...)

Last edited:
"Someone buy this before I change my mind. Playing it the last couple days, I've noted such beautiful tones - it has vibrato!"

Tracie, I think the universe is trying to tell you to keep that lovely uke. :D

Given what you're saying about the sound (and the looks), that Kala is unique.

June

Oh, how i’d Love to pick this one up, so beautiful, but alas, I just bought a used Martin T1K that hasn’t even arrived yet and I like sleeping in my bed, not in the doghouse! ��

"Someone buy this before I change my mind. Playing it the last couple days, I've noted such beautiful tones - it has vibrato!"

Tracie, I think the universe is trying to tell you to keep that lovely uke. :D

Given what you're saying about the sound (and the looks), that Kala is unique.

June

Alotta help you are! ;^)
Honestly, I would keep it if I didn't have so many others that would be just as hard to give up...
I am looking at my THREE mahogany sopranos and going "Nooooooooooo!!"
Clearly, if I lived somewheremore temperate, I would have a couple dozen ukes. At least. ;^)

Last edited:
How would you compare it to your Kiwaya?

How would you compare it to your Kiwaya?

Totally different monsters.
The Kiwaya is the warmer, darker hog sound. It's lighter due to friction pegs and no truss rod.
The Kala Elite has the bigger, clearer, more sparkly/chimey koa tone and more sustain.
If the Kiwaya didn't have the 3K appointments (that admittedly are a little bit of a thrill), I might be convinced to let it go instead - still might, given that I still have three hog sopranos (yikes).

I think it should compare favorably with your C1K, but more focused sound due to the gloss finish. (Also prettier to the eye due to finish and wood set.)
Those nearly unfinished Martin's sound woodier to my ears than any of the gloss K ukes I've owned (Koaloha, Kamaka, Kanile'a, this one). But you sure do give up the tough skin - the T1K I once had sounded fantastic but really showed strum marks.

Last edited:
This one is now posted on Reverb.
You can buy it here cheaper: reduced to $395, shipped and insured.
Sure would like this lovely to go to a UU member...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom