Kala KA-SML-SLNG, Solid wood long neck soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
SOLD!

Finding the "catch and release" style of purchasing really difficult! I'm so attached. But I'm more attached to my vintage instruments, so:

This one is a rarity: This excellent condition Kala KA-SML-SLNG (not the KA-SLNG - totally different instrument) long neck soprano is about as simple as can be: solid Okoume - affectionately called "African mahogany" and termed "Mahogany Lite" by Kala, rosewood fretboard and bridge, geared tuners, satin almost non-existent finish. Only adornment is the inlaid side and front MOP fret markers. Still strung with the Nylguts it came with.

It the least expensive - and least fancy - solid wood instrument in my herd. But it sounds so dang good, I've hung onto it. It convinced me that I really want to eventually buy a mid-range long neck sop (but I gotta sell some first!).

Sound defies the inexpensive price on this long neck: bright, vintage jangly, and LOUD.
Plays really well up the neck. Build is really light - surprisingly so.

Almost appears these no longer exist - I dare you to try to find another one for sale.
Here is Mim's listing and description, too old to show a photo:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/171090200583

KA-SML-SLNG MAHOGANY LITE SOPRANO LONG NECK
15” Concert Scale (Nut to Saddle distance)
22-3/4” Overall body length
9-3/8” Body length
5” Upper Bout
6-3/4” Lower Bout
4-3/8” Waist
2-3/8” to 2-1/2” Arched Back Body depth
1-7/16” At Nut
Solid Okume’Top, Back and Sides
Fret position Marks at 5th,7th ,10TH and 12th frets on neck and top of fingerboard
18 Silver Nickel Frets
Rosewood Fingerboard and Bridge
Mahogany neck
Satin Finish
Chrome Open geared tuners

Mim sold these retail for $179. I'm selling for 60% of that at $108 plus $20 shipping. I can include a padded black triangle Martin gig bag (fits this long neck better than the OXK it came with).

If you require a hardshell case, I can include a like new Uke Crazy black faux alligator wooden hardshell case that fits really well for another $45 (sorry, it adds a lot of weight and dimension plus it was an expensive case).
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/172233494759

20180715_140748.jpg
20180715_140702.jpg20180715_140812.jpg20180715_141127.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. I had never heard of this one til now. Intrigued but I need to release a couple of my own.

Interesting. I had never heard of this one til now. Intrigued but I need to release a couple of my own.

I see you once had the SLNG, Jim. I really like that one for beginners - it's so nicely appointed with binding, gloss finish, etc.
But sound and volume-wise, this solid wood SNL-SLNG blows the regular all laminate SLNG out of the water.

Wondering if anyone else here on UU has one?

Last edited:
Fit and finish is really clean and well done inside and out. It doesn't have those cosmetic imperfections you tend to see with Ohana.
And while not all Kalas are as good as Ohana soundwise, this one totally competes with the best Ohana, or any other import I've heard for that matter.

Action is good, depending on how you like it. There is room to lower the saddle for tender beginner fingers.

Last edited:
I did a bit of work on the tenor model of this for a friend of a friend. I was very impressed with the sound, it is also light in weight as you mentioned.

Good luck with the sale. This is a great price for an all solid wood super soprano that is light and no doubt sounds great, if anything like that tenor I played.

I know it's a strange one, but it is convincing when it's in your hands.
If anyone here wants to give it a go, I will offer a return policy with refund of purchase price and original shipping (you pay return shipping) if for some reason you don't like it.
That's about a $20 risk (depending on where you live).

If preferred, I found a Kala black padded soprano gig bag in my attic. It's not quite as thick as the Martin bag but is shorter and more form fitting - fits this uke perfectly (just long enough).

Tracie, what is the neck profile on that? Compared to your Kiwaya or former Flea?

I briefly had a Bruko longneck soprano and I really liked it.

Tracie, what is the neck profile on that? Compared to your Kiwaya or former Flea?

I briefly had a Bruko longneck soprano and I really liked it.

Hi Teri!
I would call the neck between a 'C' and 'D' shape, smaller and much more shaped than the Flea, but larger than the Kiwaya (which as you know is REALLY slender - nearly too small for my larger than average hands).
And the low action of the Kiwaya - you'd have to lower the saddle of this Kala to have it play like the Kiwaya. Current set-up allows for hard strumming.

I think you'd really like the sound - I've not played a Bruko but the reported brightness might be comparable. Maybe more spruce like sound than mahogany (despite the name)?
The Bruko is perhaps handsomer (I love the wood combos), but this one will be lighter in weight. I just grabbed it to look at the neck - in the gig bag, it's so light I wasn't even sure it was in the case! Crazy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom