New Kala Ka-atp-ctg or used Cordoba 35t all acacia?

Which would you think is better for me?

• used cordoba 35T

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Kala cedar top, acacia lam sides

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trsarah

Reaction score
Any thoughts? I'm an advanced beginner learning fingerstyle and I'd like a nice step-up uke. Right now I only have a beater all-laminate instrument. I've plaed Cordobas before and really like the lightness and neck profile. It seems like it comes from a reputable guitar shop that has played it and checked its action. I've heard of Cordobas having some issues, and actually a 20-tm I played did develop buzzing after about a year.

Kala is a cedar top and laminate acacia sides. I haven't played Kalas but I like a thinner, flatter neck because of hand issues, and I'm looking for a sweet, bell-like sound with lots of sustain. Had an older model Pono all-mahogany and it sounded too mellow to my ears, plus I didn't like the neck. I'd buy it from Uke Republic along with some kind of case. They both end up being about mid-300s including the cases and shipping.

Smaller points: I'm clumsy and I have very young children, so the Kala may be better in terms of ruggedness, perhaps? I'd also like something that would have the best resale value.

Thank you! I would be so grateful.

Last edited:
At HMS these are currently $499 and $275 new. If the Cordoba is in good shape, I think it fits your criteria better. I wouldn't count on either being particularly rugged around young children though. ;)

I have the Kala in a tenor cutaway, it is one of the best sounding and playing ukes I've tried, comes close to even the $1000 K brands. Really good projection, resonance and sustain. The only Cordoba I've seen and played in person is the low end model, not so good.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I have the spruce topped version of the Cordoba. I really like the wider nut and it's more comparable in build quality to a Pono than a Kala. I'm not a huge fan of the 12 fret body join rather than 14 fret as standard and the action at the nut was far too high so I needed to file the slots down quite a bit. It is my most played tenor though, just so comfy and sounds great.

This is all so helpful, everyone! You guys are really the best. Thank you so much!

Generally speaking, there isn't a lot of difference in build quality and features between the Cordoba and Kala.

Hence, brand new is better than used with other things being equal.

So much to think about! Thanks, everyone. I did talk to the owner of the Cordoba, and he is a pro musician and guitar technician, and he said it's his personal instrument and plays beautifully, but that he's selling to fund a custom that is in the works. So now I *really* have a lot to think about. Thanks again, for all the great advice. I love this community!

I find the reverse to be true: brand new ukes are unseasoned and tend to sound worse, for some months at least, sometimes years; while build quality doesn't degrade quickly with time. So not only are used ukes better choices economically, they're usually better in terms of tone. The main advantages of buying new are that (1) you can buy from a vendor who does good set-ups, (2) you don't have to rely on serendipity for buying opportunities, and (3) if the uke disappoints, you can more easily return it. If you're looking at possibly reselling later, used ukes can usually be sold for the same price you paid or close to it—very cheap "rent", very little downside to try.

The quality of the Córdoba 30 line should surpass that of the Kala, which is more comparable to the Córdoba 20 line (though I have a Kala cedar/acacia tenor and frequently mention how happy I've been with it—truly good value for the price). Once you get into the $500+ retail range (like the Córdoba), most ukes should be set up well directly out of the box, making the vendor of less concern.

I really like wider nuts, so to me that's a plus for the Córdoba. The standard-width nut is the only thing I could wish different on my Kala.

But it's two fine choices, and two rather different top woods tonally: hard to advise which would be "better" for you. I don't think you can lose going either way.

It is debatable whether instruments like ukulele and guitar 'open up' or get 'seasoned' with use and time.
Most of the scientific views debunk it as mostly a placebo effect of someone owning a particular instrument longer, and becoming familiar with its nuances.

Arguably, there could have been some truth to this in much older guitars (like vintage Martins) that used predominantly nitrocellulose finishes, which break down and thin over time, inadvertently making it sound "more open" than when it did brand new with a thicker coating.
This is more-or-less irrelevant today, as most modern instruments use a different kind of finish (such as polyurethane) that is thicker and doesn't thin over time.

The notion that "vibrations" from playing the instrument over time somehow makes the wood become better at being a soundboard is mostly dismissed as a myth.
I don't think that makes any sense in terms of physics and mechanics that playing the instrument would change the structure of the wood (hardened, dried cellulose), which is extremely tough and rigid.

As for Cordoba vs Kala, from my experience, many brands including Kala, Cordoba, Lankai, Oscar Schmidt, Ohana, Caramel, etc - are all generally the same level of build quality and finish.
They are made in China and the price differences would arise from the value of the woods (laminate? solid top? all-solid?), aesthetics and whether there is a pickup.
I don't think there is inherently a quality difference between the different models within the same company, unless of course it's some kind of limited edition (like Kala Elite, which are made in USA).

You would have to upgrade to a more high-end brand (eg: Loprinzi, Pono) to notice a clear upgrade in quality and character.. and above that there are the Hawaiian K-brands and custom brands.

edit: There is of course, a low-end market (eg: Makala, Mahalo, low-end Lanikais) etc which would be a bit rougher on the finish than solid wood models. But I think if you compared any solid-wood Kala to a solid-wood Cordoba, it would be hard to say one is inherently better than the other irrespective of price.

Last edited:
Kissing, I'm not sure you're familiar with the Cordoba 30 series - designed by Pepe Romeo Jr, aiming much higher than their usual offering. I have a spruce top Pono deluxe tenor and a spruce top Cordoba 35. The Pono just shades it in terms of build quality, the Cordoba wins on sound (for me, very personal obviously). Planing to sell the Pono as it's no longer getting played.

Kissing, I'm not sure you're familiar with the Cordoba 30 series - designed by Pepe Romeo Jr, aiming much higher than their usual offering. I have a spruce top Pono deluxe tenor and a spruce top Cordoba 35. The Pono just shades it in terms of build quality, the Cordoba wins on sound (for me, very personal obviously). Planing to sell the Pono as it's no longer getting played.

Ah i wasnt aware that Cordoba had such a line. I guess that would make them similar to Kala's Elite line which are designed and made in USA

Cordoba's get a bit of a bad wrap I reckon. The 30 series in particular are a real step up. There's some great videos of that series on the HMS website. The fact that those guys sell them tells you a bit as well.

Cedar is a softer wood than acacia and so would tend to be easier to show strumming and accidental marks than acacia. Cedar tops also tend to have a softer tone than acacia's typically bright tone. Also "new" ukes in this price range can be hit or miss quality wise whereas this used Cordoba has proven to be okay. Therefore I voted for the Acacia Cordoba ukulele as the one that better meets your ruggedness and tone objectives.

Last edited:
Update

Update!

Well...I took all your advice, lol.

I bought the Cordoba, but I'm returning it. It does play BEAUTIFULLY and is an incredible instrument. I love the sound and the feel. But there were about 11 gloss bubbles around where the top joins to the sides. Maybe the seller didn't notice because he hadn't played it in a while, maybe they happened in transit. Don't know, but he's kindly taking it back. Sending it out today.

AND I just spoke to Mike at Uke Republic and ordered the Kala! Thanks again for all your support and adviec.

I got my Kala ATP CTG today from Uke Republic. I loooove it. The setup was so, so good. Action is perfect. A dream to play. Thanks so much, everyone!

Playing a guitar should not alter its tone but age certainly makes a difference. There is a reason for it. The glues harden and cure further and the wood dries out and seasons. I have two Matons, both with nitro finish, and they both have become more resonant and complex sounding. I have a number of guitars including electric and as a result, I don't play them that much. So I would say that age (two years for one and four for the other) has definitely made a noticeable difference.

It is debatable whether instruments like ukulele and guitar 'open up' or get 'seasoned' with use and time.
Most of the scientific views debunk it as mostly a placebo effect of someone owning a particular instrument longer, and becoming familiar with its nuances.

Arguably, there could have been some truth to this in much older guitars (like vintage Martins) that used predominantly nitrocellulose finishes, which break down and thin over time, inadvertently making it sound "more open" than when it did brand new with a thicker coating.
This is more-or-less irrelevant today, as most modern instruments use a different kind of finish (such as polyurethane) that is thicker and doesn't thin over time.

The notion that "vibrations" from playing the instrument over time somehow makes the wood become better at being a soundboard is mostly dismissed as a myth.
I don't think that makes any sense in terms of physics and mechanics that playing the instrument would change the structure of the wood (hardened, dried cellulose), which is extremely tough and rigid.

Bravo, I think you made a good choice. I've been playing my Kala the last couple of weeks at my weekly Sunday acoustics in the park and continue to be impressed by it.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Top Bottom