Finger picking not just the thumb

plunker

Reaction score
This must have been covered, but, I tried to search and came up with so many options.
Right now when I pick notes in a song I do it all with my thumb. I would like to learn to use all my fingers. Are there any exercises that are progressively more complex that I could use for this. A video, a book, anything that could take me from incompetent beginner to pretty good. If I practice, of course, that's the secret.

I'd start with the following patterns, (which I did). :)

Thumb, first, middle, ring fingers on 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st strings whilst holding the chord shape.

Thumb, middle, first, ring fingers on 4th, 2nd, 3rd, 1st strings whilst holding the chord shape.

I prefer a linear tuning for much finger-style uke. Here are a few patterns to start with. These are all alternating thumb (educated thumb) patterns. The thumb hits the string on the beat.

_________M__________M__ ______M________ __M__________M____ _____M___________M____
____I__________I________ _____________I__ ________I__________ ___________I___________
______T__________T_____ __________T_____ ______T_________T__ ________T___________T__
__T_________T__________ ____T___________ __T________T_______ __T___________T________

Here are some arpeggios. The first and last are 3/4 time.

_________R______ ___________R_________ ______R________R__ _____R__R___
______M____M___ ______M_________M___ ______M________M__ _____M__M___
____I_________I__ ____I____I____I_____I_ ____I____I____I___I_ ___I___I___I_
__T_____________ __T__________________ __T________T_______ _T__________

From what I have seen and learned on ukulele in my short time on ukulele is that the only time one uses only the thumb for everything is chord melodies. Otherwise all of the above information is great especially Aaron Keim.

According to the dummies books there are two styles of fingerpicking.
One finger per string or alternate.
I tend to use my index finger, when I realize I am doing that I switch to one of these styles as I use both. Just try it.
Lacole

Top Bottom