NUD: Martin Style 2

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Well, I've had this for over a week now, so time for a NUD post. I already have a late 40's Martin Style 0, but have always loved the looks of vintage Style 2 sopranos, so I couldn't pass this one up when I saw it recently for a great price. I figured I'd check it out, and keep the better of the two, selling the other. This has the Made in USA stamp inside, so it is apparently early 60's vintage.

This Style 2, despite a few back cracks that were repaired (although not particularly well done), does indeed sound better to me than the Style 0, a wonderful sweet woody sound, and equally as loud as the Style 0. It is a bit less plinky/trebly than the 0, but both are awesome little cannons; the Style 2 is just a bit richer and fuller. My Kiwaya/Famous sops are very nice, but just can't compare overall for volume, bark and complex tone, but they have their place too, and I like them alot. The Style 2 action is 2.25mm at 12th, the Style 0 is 2mm. I think higher 2.25mm is optimal for my playing style, reducing nail clicking when I strum.

Anyway, that's it, and I now realize that I want to keep both, so much for my original plan. Pics of the Style 2, and both ukes below, and video soundclip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB8Fe8yvX2Y

Martin Style 2.jpg

2 ukes.jpg

In the name of science, I think you need to find a 20's-30's vintage instrument for comparison.

In the name of science, I think you need to find a 20's-30's vintage instrument for comparison.

Yes, I'll consider that, but only in the name of science! :D

But seriously, I've heard the buzz that early Martins sound better, maybe they do, and I'll run into one at a uke gathering someday to compare. However, I imagine there are standout Martins, as well as average ones, and some duds, from all the vintage eras.

Last edited:
Congrats on a wonderful find!

Yes, I'll consider that, but only in the name of science! :D

But seriously, I've heard the buzz that early Martins sound better, maybe they do, and I'll run into one at a uke gathering someday to compare. However, I imagine there are standout Martins, as well as average ones, and some duds, from all the vintage eras.

I suspect that is the case. I have found that with other instruments as well.

After you add that you can then look for other vintage instruments- Gibsons, Washburn, etc.

Again, only in the name of scientific study!

Top Bottom