No Southcoast so what now?

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
After so many years of using only Southcoast strings on my tenors and baritones, I'm at a loss where to start looking for another high tension wound 3&4 string set. I trust many are thinking the same thing.

Suggestions for tenor and baritone string sets would be greatly appreciated. I trust i'm not the only one wondering the same thing.

I'm not looking forward searching for strings again after finding Southcoast so many years ago. I pray Dirk gets better and well enough to start up the company again.

I'm not looking forward searching for strings again after finding Southcoast so many years ago. I pray Dirk gets better and well enough to start up the company again.
I wonder if Dirk might do a Mya Moe and sell the company so someone else could carry on the tradition.

I am a HUGE fan of his wound 3rd and 4th. The 4th can successfully be replaced with a Fremont Soloist but nothing and I mean nothing replaces his wound 3rd. Because it is phosphorus bronze like the 4th it balances perfectly. I have tried many brands to replace his wound third, the best balance and there is a difference in tone is using the Thomastik CF27. I actually have it paired with Fremont Soloist on two tenors and a super concert. Hope that helps Patrick.

I hope so too Jim. It would be nice to see all his hard work and effort carried on.

That helps alot Dave. I imagine sometype of classical guitar sgtrings would work for the baritones. Thankfully, I have 4 sets of Dirks HL-WB's that'll last awhile.

What 1&2 are you using? I think last time I tried that 3&4 combo I used Oasis or had a couple of S/C 1&2.

Depending on the tone I want, Oasis warm or bright and Worth CT have all worked well. Also single strings available in many different diameters by Savarez and Pyramid from String by Mail are a great option and cost effective.

While Southcoast will be missed, other options are readily available...

There are at least a dozen different companies that offer packaged uke strings, and several different gauged sets made by each, but Worth has the most options...so LOTS of choices remain...

see here:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/ukulele-strings-684/

and here:
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ukelele.html

IIRC Living Water strings can only be had either from Ken Middleton direct or via Uke Republic...

Also, Fremont Blacklines only from HMS, Elderly and Uke Republic...

I am a big fan of both Worth Clears and Martin strings for my tenors. I find that some combination of the two will cover every tenor for me.

While Southcoast will be missed, other options are readily available...

There are at least a dozen different companies that offer packaged uke strings, and several different gauged sets made by each, but Worth has the most options...so LOTS of choices remain...
True, but other than the excellent strings themselves, what I have loved most about SC is all the research and experimentation that went into selecting gauges and materials for tensions and tunings for various scale lengths. That degree of precision and knowledge really is available nowhere else.

Southcoast always did great research to help the user make choices. They made it a lot easier than trying countless sets of strings.

Dirk has had a profound impact on the way I and many people think about strings.

I shall be playing Thomastik Infeld .30 and .27, paired with Oasis Warm G first and second strings (the Chuck Moore blend).... but I still have a set of Southcoasts left. :)

True, but other than the excellent strings themselves, what I have loved most about SC is all the research and experimentation that went into selecting gauges and materials for tensions and tunings for various scale lengths. That degree of precision and knowledge really is available nowhere else.

Yes, Jim this is very true. I have learned a lot from Dirk's info myself.

Hopefully the web site will stay up so others can read and learn from all of the great info that has been published there by Dirk.

Concur with Dave. I am now using the Thomason Enfeld chrome flat wounds on my BH Tenor and Hoffmann Bari. Not as bright as the SC or Fremont but they feel wonderful under the fingers and I think that they are going to be more durable. Also, as I alway play amp’ed nowadays, I can tweak the final sonic profile.

My husband Dirk Wormhoudt, Founder/Owner of Southcoast lost his battle against cancer on 24 July, 2018. As many of you have commented, he loved the service and product he provided to some many.

Sheldra Wormhoudt

My husband Dirk Wormhoudt, Founder/Owner of Southcoast lost his battle against cancer on 24 July, 2018. As many of you have commented, he loved the service and product he provided to some many.

Sheldra Wormhoudt

WOW. OMG. This is very sad news.

Thank you very much for coming to UU and letting us know. This must have been difficult to do during this time and is much appreciated.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Dirk will be missed by so many folks here on UU.

At least he is at peace now.

I am so sorry for your lose. Dirk was greatly loved around here and in the entire ukulele community. Thank you for sharing this news with us. God Bless

Sheldra Wormhoudt

Sheldra, I'm so sorry for your loss. I only dealt with Dirk a little bit, but I always looked forward to and enjoyed his posts here at Ukulele Underground and his newsletter emails. I hope you are able to find comfort in knowing that Dirk was loved and respected by the UU community and that our collective sense of loss at his passing is profound. Dirk, rest in Aloha.

Sheldra Wormhoudt

My sincerest condolences.

That’s what I’ve been using for a while and tuning down a half step also sounds amazing

Top Bottom