Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Irish Tuning

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Nakhonratchasima, Thailand
    Posts
    233

    Default Irish Tuning

    What is the name of the strings for Irish tuning. I always though D G B E but today I reliazed that is not correct because D G B E is Chicago tuning. Please tell me the strings name and also if there is more than one Irish tuning. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    723

    Default

    I am not aware of an irish specific tuning. Irish trad music has several instruments under its umbrella. I know a common trait for this are instruments tuned in fifths, but surely not limited to. If you are looking for a common four string tuning, I would say GDAE - which covers fiddle, mandolin, ocatave mandolin and some tenor banjo. Irish tenor banjo also sometimes uses CGDA, but more common so is GDAE. Guitar back up commonly uses a DADGAD tuning, and tenor guitar commonly uses a GDAD tuning, but there surely are others.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsfloyd View Post
    I am not aware of an irish specific tuning. Irish trad music has several instruments under its umbrella. I know a common trait for this are instruments tuned in fifths, but surely not limited to. If you are looking for a common four string tuning, I would say GDAE - which covers fiddle, mandolin, ocatave mandolin and some tenor banjo. Irish tenor banjo also sometimes uses CGDA, but more common so is GDAE. Guitar back up commonly uses a DADGAD tuning, and tenor guitar commonly uses a GDAD tuning, but there surely are others.
    I agree, and I would add that tuning a concert, tenor or baritone uke to either GDAE or CGDA would be difficult to say the least.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA (5ths) Fingerstyle

    Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

    Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I agree, and I would add that tuning a concert, tenor or baritone uke to either GDAE or CGDA would be difficult to say the least.
    Thanks DUD, but not really that difficult at all with the right string set! Aquila makes their two fifths tuning sets - the 30U Soprano for GDAE tuning and the 31U Concert for CGDA tuning. The GDAE set, players have reported about some high E string troubles with breaking if brought up to pitch to quickly, but I believe they found a fishing line that worked well - or just be patient with tuning. The 31U set (CGDA) is the set I use on my soprano scale and it works just fine. Obviously, it is marketed for concert scale, but it has been reported that they do work for tenor scale as well. For baritone scale, I have been told that the 31U set works well if tuned to octave mandolin tuning GDAE.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I agree, and I would add that tuning a concert, tenor or baritone uke to either GDAE or CGDA would be difficult to say the least.
    Sorry, but I have to correct you on that. It's not difficult at all. I've been using fifths tunings for 3 yrs on concert, tenor, baritone uke and several different scale length guitars.

    All the gory details can be found via the FAQ link in my signature below, including the easily available strings that I used...
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Upper Hale, Surrey/Hants border, UK.
    Posts
    5,962

    Default

    A lot of Irish music is in the key of D, some in key of G, & a few in the key of A.

    Low & high whistles are commonly in the key of D, as are simple system flutes.

    Hope that helps.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsfloyd View Post
    Thanks DUD, but not really that difficult at all with the right string set! Aquila makes their two fifths tuning sets - the 30U Soprano for GDAE tuning and the 31U Concert for CGDA tuning. The GDAE set, players have reported about some high E string troubles with breaking if brought up to pitch to quickly, but I believe they found a fishing line that worked well - or just be patient with tuning. The 31U set (CGDA) is the set I use on my soprano scale and it works just fine. Obviously, it is marketed for concert scale, but it has been reported that they do work for tenor scale as well. For baritone scale, I have been told that the 31U set works well if tuned to octave mandolin tuning GDAE.
    Well, I dunno. I don’t play sopranos much, and my GT banjolele is a tenor. I had it tuned to dGBE, but I didn’t like the boomy low G for strumming. I’m done with low G strings on ukuleles. I retuned it to GCEA, and I guess I’ll just play chords with it. I do use Aquila fifths on my Lanikai concert banjolele, but the low C is only okay. I talked to someone who used the shorter Aquilas on his tenors. And he was unsatisfied with the result.

    I guess people nowadays just do whatever they wanna do, and, sure it’s okay, this is America. Lot’s of people like low G on their ukes, but I don’t like them. I have one on my Luna concert but don’t play it much anymore, and, when I do, I fingerpick it. Low G is okay for fingerpicking.

    Well, that’s what I think about the subject. And I never said that it couldn’t be done but only difficult.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA (5ths) Fingerstyle

    Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

    Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Sorry, but I have to correct you on that. It's not difficult at all. I've been using fifths tunings for 3 yrs on concert, tenor, baritone uke and several different scale length guitars.

    All the gory details can be found via the FAQ link in my signature below, including the easily available strings that I used...
    Booli, I looked at your FAQ link, but it seemed to be mostly about guitars, and, just scanning it, I found it somewhat confusing. Maybe I didn’t read far enough or closely enough. If so, my bad.

    Anyway, sometimes I sing with my ukes or fingerpick them, but I’m mostly into banjos and mandolins now.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA (5ths) Fingerstyle

    Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

    Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    Booli, I looked at your FAQ link, but it seemed to be mostly about guitars, and, just scanning it, I found it somewhat confusing. Maybe I didn’t read far enough or closely enough. If so, my bad.

    Anyway, sometimes I sing with my ukes or fingerpick them, but I’m mostly into banjos and mandolins now.
    Nothing far to read, only 9 items in the list.

    Links from item #9 on the FAQ page:

    "Info about fifths tunings (CGDA & GDAE) string options on ukes, one & two"

    I dunno where you saw guitar stuff, all those links point back to threads here on UU, and related specifically to ukulele.

    Maybe it's worth another look for you?
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,353

    Default

    Naw, I was only giving my opinion about fifths tuning for ukuleles. I did it, and I’m done. My Lanikai concert is okay, my GT tenor plays “Clementine” good enough. So I’ll let you teach fifths tuning to all.

    Have a really nice day.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA (5ths) Fingerstyle

    Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

    Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •