Shipping boxes

Timbuck

Reaction score
The box making company "Fenbox LTD" that supplies me with boxes for shipping my Sopranos has disappeared from the radar ..their phone line is dead and I can't find them online...can anyone recommend another box maker in the UK.

That sounds a nightmare.
I only know Greyhound Box in Leeds. I work in the printing industry and have used them before. I don't know what they're like on bespoke box making though.

I smell a business opportunity. It won't be long before Ken emerges as a maker of superior custom made boxes!

Kenn Barnes and Mullins in Oswestry supply ukulele shipping boxes. If you don't have an account with them pm me with your requirements and I'll get them sent to you. I have mine made in Cearohilly - there must be a similar outfit up your way?

I smell a business opportunity. It won't be long before Ken emerges as a maker of superior custom made boxes!

Yes and Ken will have figured out a series of jigs and way to streamline the construction!

The box making company "Fenbox LTD" that supplies me with boxes for shipping my Sopranos has disappeared from the radar ..their phone line is dead and I can't find them online...can anyone recommend another box maker in the UK.

They must have shipped themselves away to an exotic location!

In all the years I have been making and shipping ukes all over the planet, I have never bought a box for shipping. I make my own out of recycled card board I get from recycling centers, super markets or any where that people throw this stuff away. With all the big screen TV's, etc. out there, why spend money on a box. Make a box jig, lay it on the flat cardboard, trace it, cut it, and glue it up. It takes about 5 minutes and it costs nothing.

Duane,
In all the years I've been shipping ukes around too, I have seldom bought a box either. I also never thought about making a layout and cutting template! Each box I made from scratch with a tape measure and straight edge. Duh! You always have such nice straight forward solutions. Thanks for the clarity..--Bob

In all the years I have been making and shipping ukes all over the planet, I have never bought a box for shipping. I make my own out of recycled card board I get from recycling centers, super markets or any where that people throw this stuff away. With all the big screen TV's, etc. out there, why spend money on a box. Make a box jig, lay it on the flat cardboard, trace it, cut it, and glue it up. It takes about 5 minutes and it costs nothing.

I used to do that ... But I got fed up with all the mess after cutting ..and going around searching for the right size material..Mrs T does the packing these days and I get boxes to make it easier for her.

Kev - there's a company in Caerphilly that will make to measure - Dayworth Packaging...

Here is what I do: I buy quality hardshell cases for my ukes and I just save and reuse the box the case came in for shipping. They are robust and more than adequate. Open box, open case, insert ukulele and repack. A form of recycling I suppose.

Well done Ken for escaping controversy. When I did a video about boxes and packaging years ago I got well and truly flamed. It was another forum but I learned a big lesson there. Most people accept we are different from one another while insisting that we accept their solution as being the only 'right' one. If I lived close to a B&Q (Home Depot) I still would not have access to cardboard because retail companies almost employ the last sign on to smash up the boxes for the recycling bin - you'd be lucky to get any useable cardboard. Also, music stores used to be a good source of shaped boxes but every Monday in Bangor there is a pole of smashed up boxes outside the store. I also cannot justify spending an hour bespoking a cardboard box. Maybe this ain't a skill I possess. I also like the look of a made to measure box which will hold together with old fashioned fish glue parcel tape. Everyone to his own :)

As I have read through this thread, I don't recall anyone saying others need to accept any one solution. It is simply a matter of "I do this, you do that". No big deal Pete.
s

Well done Ken for escaping controversy. When I did a video about boxes and packaging years ago I got well and truly flamed. It was another forum but I learned a big lesson there. Most people accept we are different from one another while insisting that we accept their solution as being the only 'right' one. If I lived close to a B&Q (Home Depot) I still would not have access to cardboard because retail companies almost employ the last sign on to smash up the boxes for the recycling bin - you'd be lucky to get any useable cardboard. Also, music stores used to be a good source of shaped boxes but every Monday in Bangor there is a pole of smashed up boxes outside the store. I also cannot justify spending an hour bespoking a cardboard box. Maybe this ain't a skill I possess. I also like the look of a made to measure box which will hold together with old fashioned fish glue parcel tape. Everyone to his own :)

And if you read my post carefully Dwayne that is what I say also. I was referencing that earlier post on another forum and not disagreeing with what has been said here or targeting anyone, you in particular. I conclude:
Everyone to his own
You even reference this also. I'm sorry if you think I am poking the 'BlackBear" so to speak. I am not. I just cannot justify the time, effort and carbon footprint I would generate making up my own boxes. That others like you can - great. I can't. So are we good now?

"Product packaging is the most important part of any product."

I would take issue with that statement. There are many products, like toothpaste, perfume, or chocolate, where the cost of the packaging can be greater than that of the product, but it does not apply to bespoke ukuleles.

I find your remarks deeply ironical John as you were one of those on 'cosmos' who delighted in ridiculing my packaging video that used to be on YouTube. That was in the day when anything I posted got flamed and where there seemed to be an intolerance of any criticism of the well meaning but lazy amateur who couldn't be bothered to do their research. Much like what occurred here a few years back and led to many of us full timers recusing ourselves from the 'conversation', leaving it to those with more time and energy to post what has already been posted several times before.

Not hi-jacking your thread Ken but being 'snarky' as it was called on the 'cosmos' which was nothing less than a British weasel word used to justify harsh comments and inappropriate censure from those who felt they occupied the 'top table'. Pity really because that was once a lovely place to post and share story. Interesting that it is barely alive while this forum, with its well moderated content is, despite the ups and downs and sad departure of Rick Turner and rare postings from Chuck and others, still going strong. Yes, I don't contribute like I did (every day) but I still look to all those who do share their knowledge here for inspiration and hope.

Top Bottom