Shipping boxes

Without taking sides I believe that criticism of others (constructive criticism excepted) is generally unhelpful and if not moderated does lead to folk not talking to each other. The moderators here on UU seem to have a light but effective touch and thankfully their action is rarely needed. They have removed the (advertising) post that John was referring to though and its rightful absence might have an effect on current context.

I recall a thread where I was ‘jumped on’ for making an unpopular observation that later proved to be very valid. That type of thing leads to people harbouring grudges and dulls the collaborative spirt that unites us. Suggesting that some amateur builder is lazy might, from the professional’s perspective, contain elements of truth to it. However, sitting at the other side of the table it could feel like a most unjust and unwarranted criticism. Having been criticised by a Ukulele God, and feeling the comment unfair, the victim will likely remember and snipe back at some point; and so totally unnecessary conflict commences.

This is Ken’s thread and I don’t want to divert it further. What I would say about Ken is that he’s a fine example of how to post in ways that are both helpful and (at the same time) none controversial.

As for boxes IMHO their purpose is to protect the valuable content within and as such they need to be reliable and strong enough - and at a good price too. Packaging is, I think, something different and sadly the way something is presented by expert packing can be more important to A SALE than the product within the wrapping. (In his post John too answers the comment "Product packaging is the most important part of any product.")

Last edited:
Wow, Pete! That touched a nerve, didn't it? I don't remember the discussion on "Cosmos" to which you refer, but I hope you feel better now you've got it off your chest.

John Colter

As I said John - 'snarky'. I had nothing to get off my chest. I will answer directly:

It's important to know that there are two sides to the story and you were, at the time, extremely rude about that video, suggesting strongly that I was being very patronising showing people how to properly ship a ukulele. Because of the 'respect' given to you by Cosmos, and rightly so, you are a maker extraordinaire with some brilliant myth busting ideas, particularly regarding the rule of 18 (John successfully made a Kabose using the rule of 18 instead of 17.834 for fret positioning and produced a perfectly intonnated instrument) the whole shooting match joined in the ridicule. At the time, I was in a hell of a place, struggling on all fronts to keep my life together, involved in a horrendous legal battle and with all this backdrop, trying to keep my ukulele business on track. I was in danger of loosing all and bang, another unjustified and stab at my fragile ego. It really isn't something you are going forget when a community you have served and shared your knowledge with in one pack-like move rounds on you. It was very unpleasant, regrettable and truly unforgettable. You bet it was!

That is when I recused myself from commenting as a professional, answering questions and soon after removed all the training materials I had uploaded to YouTube. Shortly after that, a number of professionals, myself included withdrew from comment here because we felt, and I think it has been proven true that all that has been said has been said. There is nothing to add. I occasionally comment as in this thread, upload what I am doing but have no longer any interest in contributing to the 'building debate'. For me, I have nothing left to say and even if I did , I doubt it would have any effect. Every ukulele I now build is an attempt to maintain a standard and improve.

Disclaimer: These comments are not intended as criticism of the ideas and work shared and expressed here. I believe firmly that the vitality this forum has been sustained because I and others have 'bowed out' leaving room and space for new talent to take the stage. Keep it up. I read with interest what you are all doing. It's time for you to get up onto the shoulders of giants and show us all a better way!

At this juncture I should say I approve of Beau's videos. There is no authoritative free stuff out there from a working professional whose principal output is ukulele and the occasional guitar..

Last edited:
Pete, why are you using Ukulele Underground to discuss something that happened some time ago on Ukulele Cosmos? I have tried to find the thread on Cosmos, without success. Can you tell me when it was? I'd like to review what I wrote - and of course, the context within which I wrote it. You make it sound truly awful.

John Colter.

UM - I was responding to your challenge. I can do that right?

If you really want to pursue this it was perhaps between 2007 and 2010. Since I deleted my videos and have had several computer crashes since then, I no longer have the original footage. It's irrelevant though isn't it? It's out there somewhere and it is what it is as is my comments above which I stand by. Cosmos at the time was changing, becoming an aggressive arena where if you weren't at the 'top table' you were somehow not considered to have any trusted opinion. I chose to leave.

The problem with Cosmos was Alli's almost 'no moderation' policy which really let things get out of hand until censure came too late. Here, the moderators clamp down and may well now start to look at this thread. If you want me to remove my comments I will. I have no problem with that. If you want me to recant them, I can't. It happened. It was regrettable. I learnt from it and realised that perhaps I was acting as 'the authority' when `I should have been posting as 'an authority'. I've grown up and don't anymore feel a need to tell people how it should be done. Others do that much better than me, have a deeper understanding of acoustics an physics than me and can explain why their ukulele work far better than me (not mine - that is a different thing altogether). My focus is my daily vlog on FaceBook and getting through the day without falling over.

The great thing about the internet - it has an off button!

Pete, we have met face to face at least twice since then. I don't understand why you find it necessary to chastise me now, on a different forum. Anyway, I'll save the UU mods from having to do anything about this futile spat. That's my last word on the matter. If you want to take it up in private, I'll give you a hearing - but I'd really rather let it lie.

John Colter.

Top Bottom