ovation applause ukulele

boidflip

Reaction score
well i was thinkin about buyin this one ukulele but im not sure if its great or what not
i really want in ukulele is deep and rich tone you know?
and i can put in a pick up
but i was rethinkin about buying this for other one
i was thinkin bout rangin from 100-200

Ive played the applause tenor uke at a local store. unplugged, it didnt seem to have a very deep tone, but the strings that were on it could have had a big impact on the way it sounded. I think my $60 uke sounds better than the applause unplugged. but then again my $60 uke is pretty bada$$. haha! But plugged in... WOW! If it wasn't for the fact that I could get the uke for alot cheaper than what the store was selling it for, I would have picked it up right there.

I don't think he meant the tenor since it is much more expensive. The tenor and the soprano Ovations are very different unplugged.
The soprano is loud, the tenor is really quiet.
The tenor sounds like a guitar in my opinion.
I can recomment the soprano for sure, the tenor is still very easy to play, but it sucks unplugged.

I own a Soprano Applause. I love its sound, it's not as loud as my solid mahagony Ukulele, but still oud enough. The active pick up is good as well. But what do you mean you can put in a pick up?

The tenor applause unplugged is not that great but as mentioned when plugged in it sounds amazing.

I own a Soprano Applause. I love its sound, it's not as loud as my solid mahagony Ukulele, but still oud enough. The active pick up is good as well.

The soprano has a passive pickup, just the tenor has an active one.

yeah i mean like those you can plug in haha but yeah i was lookin for the soprano one.
but i re think bout it comparing to a wood one cuz i think that for sure wood sounds better than the ovation ones and im not really sure bout this haha im sorry

I don't think he meant the tenor since it is much more expensive. The tenor and the soprano Ovations are very different unplugged.
The soprano is loud, the tenor is really quiet.
The tenor sounds like a guitar in my opinion.
I can recomment the soprano for sure, the tenor is still very easy to play, but it sucks unplugged.

Well do you recommend the sound quality of the soprano (since thats the one im getting) or is it still better to find ones that are made of wood?

its still up to you. depends on what you want your uke to sound like. i have a vid up on my youtube, playing a soprano applause. and it sounded real nice acoustically with aquila strings. would i recommend it? well, if youre into sopranos, yes. its inexpensive, sounds cool, and looks cool. would i buy one? nope. just not interested in a soprano at the moment. and when i do decide to get one, id be willing to pay the price for a much better sounding instrument.

i agree that the soprano ukulele has a much richer tone unplugged, but when i hook my tenor up to the amp, it's AMAZING!
if you aren't gonna use an amp, get the soprano...if you will use the amp get the tenor.

oh and only the tenor ukulele comes in koa wood...
people at local music stores tell me that it's a collectors item. They only made about 300 in the world.
I also know that Danyo Cummings has the same tenor koa as me.

Here are some videos of me playing the Ovations:

Soprano unplugged: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPAeBopG46c

Soprano plugged: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRIC4AgNM7w

Tenor plugged: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhJSxri53A8

I liked the Ovation soprano very much when I got it 6 years ago, but I hardly played it.
I just played guitar on it.
I just starting playing ukulele in 2006, but then I pretty soon wanted to try other ukuleles. And since I discovered my ukuleles in concert size I don't play the Ovation anymore.

definitely a big difference between the sop and the ten when plugged in. that tenor just sounds awesome.

and your cover of the exodus theme is awesome! i want to learn it now.

i see well thanks haha
but yeah i started comparin mitchell koa 100 to this soprano applause
which is the same price...and this other tenor (im not really up to tenors)
and i wanna know the gap between the tenor's and concert/soprano is the same?
if so then ill go for the tenor

hey WS64,
I was watching your videos you posted with the different ukes you have.....i was wondering why i recognized your style......you didnt the video with the Monk theme song. Awesome job. I love that show. I need to learn how you play that. Aloha, Dino

Top Bottom