New Godin Multiuke: Leave setup alone?

trek4fr

Reaction score
I just received a new Godin Multiuke. I love the looks, sound, and playability of this instrument. I'm new to ukuleles, but not to guitars and basses, and have always done my own setups.

It seems that most references for uke action say 1/8" at the twelfth fret. My action is a bit under that on the high G, maybe at 3/32". The action on the A is at about 1/16" or 2/32". Yet there is no buzzing anywhere up or down the neck on any of the strings. And the intonation at the 12th fret for all strings is spot on.

So seeing as there is no buzzing, should I just leave it alone? The action in this model is adjustable only by the truss rod i.e. putting more relief in the neck. Am I losing anything (volume or playability) with such low action? Should I just consider myself lucky with this neck and take a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude?

What do you all think?

I bought a used one from the Marketplace and it played so well I didn't mess with it.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

The action in this model is adjustable only by the truss rod i.e. putting more relief in the neck.

The way I see it, adjusting action is a matter of tinkering with the height of the saddle and the depth of the string slots in the nut.

Not sure about whether the bridge on a Godin is adjustable as to the heights of individual strings, but the nut is still tinker-withable.

Adjusting the truss rod dials in the amount of neck relief, and, tangentially, the string height on much of the fretboard, but it's not the best way to deal with action concerns.

Having said that, if you have no problems with action and neck relief, there's no need to tinker with the action, and/or neck relief.

Last edited:
Hiya! I have a Multiuke, and, unfortunately, I am getting a little buzz from the A string. Its saddle is a little lower than the others. Is there any way to take out that one saddle and shim it a bit higher? I'm assuming there's a piezo pickup under it. Anyone have any ideas?

Top Bottom