Curly Blackwood and Huon Pine Soprano - Photo Set

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
This combination is one of my favorites for a soprano. Looks great and sounds even better.

Back and sides - Curly Austrailan Blackwood
Soundboard - "White Bait" figure Huon Pine
Bindgins - Birds Eye Sapele
Head Plate Veneers - Ringed Gidgee
Fret Board - Ringed Gidgee with 12" - 16" compound radius
Frets - EVO Gold
Bridge - Australian Blackwood with Gidgee Veneer
Tuners - 4:1 Peg Heads
Strings - Worth Browns
Finish - High Gloss Polyurethane

Blackwood_Huon Pine Soprano0720201814.jpgBlackwood_Huon Pine Soprano0720201820.jpgBlackwood_Huon Pine Soprano0720201822.jpgBlackwood_Huon Pine Soprano0720201823.jpgBlackwood_Huon Pine Soprano0720201815.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous Allen. What would you compare the Hino Pine to sound wise? Cedar? Spruce?
Quite curious. It sure has a soft wonderful color that goes well with the Blackwood.
I must say I eagerly await seeing each new instrument you post.

Huon Pine has a different sound to just about anything else I've used. The timber can vary a lot in it's oil content. It's used in the boat building trades in Tasmania (or was as it's very rare now). Only the very low oil content material works as a soundboard.

There is a really good sound sample that HMS did of another uke I built pretty much identical to this one.

That's beautiful, Allen. I love the grain patterns.
I'm curious, why does the bridge appear to be two pieces of different colored wood?

That's beautiful, Allen. I love the grain patterns.
I'm curious, why does the bridge appear to be two pieces of different colored wood?

Because it is 2 pieces. The base piece that has the entire footprint of the bridge is curly Australian Blackwood in this case, and then there is a contrasting veneer glued on the string platform of Gidgee that carries the color of the bindings and fret board and peg head veneers. I do this as a feature on all my instruments and pick timbers to suit each instrument and it's color pallet.

Here is a selection of blanks that I made up last week for stock.

Bridge Blanks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom