Too many hits on ukulele teacher to this one guy?

There are a lot of different teaching styles and you have to go with the teacher that works for you.

The Ukulele teacher doesn't really click with my style, but in his defense, I saw a video recently and he's really been working on his singing, it's gotten better. I think the Kala deal might be over as I think he's been playing Ortegas recently - don't quote me, I only watch snippets of the occasional video of his if it's a song I like. Cynthia Lin is really great too, but doesn't really fit my style either. There's Stu Fuchs, Ten Thumbs & Bernadette too. Lots more out there, but they don't show up on my Youtube feed regularly so I'm not coming up with names. The Ukulele teacher just came out with a video sort of profiling a bunch of teachers, but it was long and I didn't watch it.

I seem to like learning the odd song from Ukulele Cheats, although his personality takes some getting used to as well.
Usually, I'm learning a finger style song from tabs and listening to the song to hear what I'm supposed to sound like.

I think it's really important to remember that ukulele has a lot of different communities. The Ukulele Teacher (and 90% of YouTube teachers) are not for me, I don't really have any interest in strumming and singing, or learning 21 Pilots or Riptide or Camila Cabello. I don't personally enjoy his videos or his style.
Lots of people out there do, more power to them, and great for him too!

On the flip side I don't really have any interest in playing at a lot of the more traditional ukulele clubs, either... which again are a lot of strumming and singing, but this time to much older songs, and with a much older group participating. I'm in my 30s, so I'm no teenager, but I've been the youngest by 20-30 years at some clubs I have been to. But more power to them as well, I'm glad they enjoy what they do.

For me, I prefer learning and playing Hawai'ian music, so I'm mostly focused on watching videos and playing along to instrumentals, or going to concerts and events (or visiting the islands) where I can listen or join in on kanikapila.

Indeed, the ukulele is very popular and there are many different ways of using. My own personal interest is also in learning Hawaiian (Hula) music and as a secondary interest the pre-war Tin-Pan-Alley style is also very appealing. It is a bit more challenging to find good instructions for these styles of music.

But I also enjoy the social aspects of my uke circle and I perform at open mics and care homes, and for these settings it's the strumming and singing that works best to entertain various audiences. So overall I think currently I am going more for the low-hanging fruit in my learning that is rewarding for the social and entertainment aspects of my uke playing. :(

I may have to check out this uke teacher site, would have been helpful to post a link.

The Uke Teacher was my gateway into the Ukulele world. His approach was endearing, and not intimidating.

He's also broken down some of my favorite songs into basic chords so that I can play them!

I'll be the first one to admit, Rebecca Sugar, and her work on Steven Universe is what initially attracted me to the Uke, and he has several videos on how to play her music.

I will say though, his product plugs are obnoxious at times, and his "make sure your uke is in tune" intro can be obnoxious if you're binging his videos.

But I like his singing, it's very disarming and makes me feel less conscious.

But I eye roll whenever I hear him plug his Uke.

His app is utter trash as well. Can't recommend anyone paying money for it.

Other than that, he's a good resource for how to play modern songs on the uke.

Barf-emoji.

Curiosity killed the, well, let's not kill cats... but made me click on link, brought up the channel, where the initial autoplay video was him taking out his invisalign braces from his #*%Y*(# mouth then put it in a green case. Then cut to playing some instruments.

File under "AYFKM?"

The waste-of-time-style editing alone = click away. That's before the grotesque part (because the invisalign thing is nothing shy of grotesque & zero value, not even entertainment, for an instrument "teaching" video).
The guy has some sort of psychological pathology... histrionic personality disorder... or something along those lines.

Right. He's a bit much, and I generally don't see a lot of teaching - just showing different Kala ukes. To be fair, I don't watch his videos very often.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ukulele+teacher

Ok so I had a look, and it seems that these are free lessons, and it looks like he puts considerable effort and time into putting them together. How does he make money this way? Anyway it was not easy for me among the large amount of obscure tunes to find something that I would be interested in learning, and even with some scrolling did not find a single tune that I had in one of my four folders full of music to compare to. I checked out a few songs that I did recognize and found his approach of going through the tunes well paced and easy to follow. So yeah his singing is off key and not performance level, but that may also make him less intimidating to others who struggle with keeping a tune. I might sneak back and check out some of these songs I have never heard of.

There are WAY better peas out there... better quality, quantity, variety... etc.

..."eat your peas, they are good for you". Even when you are 60, you still need to do some things that are good for you, even if you don't like them, if you want to learn new things.

Top Bottom