A copy of my post today on our uke forums...

S11LKO

Reaction score
I've spent a lazy morning looking at guitar & uke videos on YouTube with my brother in law.
He's non-musical and doesn't play ANY instrument at all.

He commented about the MANY 'unsigned but brilliant' players around the world and the fact that the vast majority played both instruments FAR better than I do or probably ever will be able to do.

He asked me if I found that frustrating.

I answered:
'Only in the way that I would LOVE to be able to do what they can do. But then there are many that have said to me that they'd love to be able
to play like *I* can. It's all a matter of perspective. It doesn't matter if you are a virtuoso or can just knock out a few basic chords. The main thing is that we love making music - to whatever our level of play - and that we ENJOY doing it and it gives us pleasure and that watching those more proficient inspires us on to keep practicing and becoming better ourselves.'

And enjoying listening to and playing our music is the most important thing. Innit?

Thoughts?

I dont like this guy. You've mentioned his condescending and somewhat jealous remarks before.

I find that the wealth of numerous players on YT to serve as INSPIRATION, and not discouragement.

Seems like he is a snobby pessimist. Folks like that are removed from my circle of contact due to their constant negativity.

Good on you Dave for not letting yourself get knocked down by such rude people.

For me, your music is a gift, and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Thank you for your music! :) :music: :nana:

I dont like this guy. You've mentioned his condescending and somewhat jealous remarks before.

I find that the wealth of numerous players on YT to serve as INSPIRATION, and not discouragement.

Seems like he is a snobby pessimist. Folks like that are removed from my circle of contact due to their constant negativity.

Good on you Dave for not letting yourself get knocked down by such rude people.

For me, your music is a gift, and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Thank you for your music! :) :music: :nana:

Haha! If it means anything I don't like him much either! lol
Thanks for YOUR kind words my friend - they mean a lot to me!

When I first saw your post in the other forum, my thoughts were exactly what Booli said! However, I managed to tone down my response cuz after all, he IS related to you. 😝

I've found that there are people who minimalize other's accomplishments to help them justify their own lack there of. I'm thinking that your brother-in-law is one of those people. Instead of being hurt by his comments, realize that your existence in his life is a constant reminder to him of his lack of accomplishment. You win. Be happy.

ampeep & rllink,
Thanks for your responses.
I'm afraid BIL is just one of those people.
If I got upset about the vast majority of his views and opinions (covering MANY different topics) I would've disowned him years ago. I, in general, am a quite positive thinking sort of fella and I just get on with enjoying myself.
I think Rllink you have hit the nail on the head.
Without meaning to be cruel, I have to say that despite being 60 now, BIL has acheived little in life. He's retired, lives alone, has no hobbies, and - as far as I know - no real friends. Old schoolmates he's recently caught up with have made excuses to not see him a second time after their first meet, and I feel it's because he shows such a negative attitude to everyone and everything about him. I seem to be the only one who'll give him time.
For his sake then I'll just absorb his comments and keep doing what I do.
I'm buying a kazoo once I get back from holiday.
I suspect he won't like me playing THAT either!! lol

Dave, you’re a good guy to spend time with your BIL - gotta give you credit cuz I’d have a hard time dealing with his negativity. The kazoo sounds like a great idea!! Maybe a duet?

Am curious, where are you on holiday?

I'm in Corfu and having a great relaxing time.
The duet sounds a good idea.
I just bought my BIL a souvenir T-Shirt with the words "I *TRY* to be a nice guy, but often my mouth lets me down!" written in big letters across the front! lol

Top Bottom