Nut height problems with different tunings

Wingnutz

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been discussed before...

I like to use both high G and low G tunings, but of course my nut is cut for high G. Consequently, when I use the wound G string it sits rather high on the nut, causing tuning and playing problems.
What is the solution? Cut the nut for the wound string? Will that cause problems if I switch back to high G?

IMO - the true fix is to have two nuts then swap them out as needed. If the nut slot is nice and tight and the nuts are well-crafted to fit in there properly, you don't need to glue them in place as the strings will hold them securely.

If you stick with one nut and the slot cut in the nut for the wound string is too wide, then the unwound string might buzz in the slot...

Last edited:
One size fits all for me, I just open-up the nut slot to suit the Low G :D I have no probs changing back to high g :D most of my ukes can be strung either way :cool:

Campbell, how did you cut the nut slot - did you use a special file?

Campbell, how did you cut the nut slot - did you use a special file?

One can use welding rod tip cleaners as "round files" for nut work. These tip cleaners normally come as a package of various sizes, so one can find one of the appropriate slot width in thr package. They are available in almost every hardware store for $5-9 a set. Being round, they leave a smooth groove that doesn't pinch the string while tuning.

I had a small set of files from my banjo days... can't find them, so I bought these... they'll cover any stringed instrument I'm likely to work on. They do a quick job of it, too. Mine came in a clear plastic tube with a screw-on lid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom