Broken Bridge :'(

stephiscool

Reaction score
I opened up my ukulele today to find that part of my bridge had broken off. I'm really sad, as I just got this ukulele one month ago from the ukulele site and it's been amazing. I ordered this uke in April and waited two months for it due to permitting issues to ship rosewood, so I'm really devastated.
It's a Cordoba 35-TS-CE and I had it in its hard case flat on the floor and no one touched it since I last played it. There is also a dent in the case above the position where the bridge broke off, so I guess it exploded in there.
Any ideas what might have caused this? Also any advice on how to get this repaired?

Thanks

Link for picture of bridge:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/14b9qRAphapPqzHn8

Link for picture on day of shipment arrival:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uA26i8LLR2u4fhiE9

Attachments

• IMG_20180716_133907.jpg
    IMG_20180716_133907.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 87
It looks to be the result of an unfortunate configuration of the grain in that area of the bridge. Wood is a natural product. These things happen. A sure-fire guarantee claim, I'd say.

John Colter.

What they said ^^^

The easiest solution is to remove the remaining wood where the wood has broken off and make a string through style bridge. This type of bridge design is prone to this type of break. Sorry about that.

I've done some "string though the bridge style" repairs on blown out slots on vintage Martins to the chagrin of purists. I like it, looks nice and is a more durable solution.

It is a new uke, and this isn’t a common problem...clearly not a user issue. I’d contact either The Ukulele Site or Córdoba and inquire about a warranty repair. Bridges can be replaced—and bridges popping off is a common issue.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I emailed the ukulele site, so hopefully they will get back to me soon.

I've done some "string though the bridge style" repairs on blown out slots on vintage Martins to the chagrin of purists. I like it, looks nice and is a more durable solution.
thinking of doing that to a newly acquired old timer. If I drill in the right place I don't think anyone will be able to tell. better than a new bridge that won't match. martin bridge.jpg

Top Bottom