season 336: shorts not trousers

I’m stuck in Massachusetts instead of going to NYC to see Courtney Barnett, so I wrote her a fan letter.

My goal today is 58 subscribers on [URL="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcDwyjjus8w2V4UOnmXtNjg”]my new channel[/URL]! If you like this song, please subscribe.

Hello yet again, Jon! This is getting silly, but I am enjoying exploring the possibilities of the film editor I use. Here is a song for those amongst you who have an unhealthy fascination with blood and gore (ahem!), albeit of the "cold" variety. (Expecting extra brownie points for wearing shorts ... it's hot here today!!!)

I am not a songwriter in general, but my wife has been wanting me to write a song about our dog Rayna, so here it is.

I recorded a few today. Here's my first, an original. We had arranged a meet with my sister yesterday half way across the country (she lives on the West we live on the East) and it was one of those days when we seemed to run into roadworks, get stuck behind wagons and generally get slowed down by busy traffic. We did get to our rendezvous on time and she was late - she was also held up by busy traffic!

I've tuned my 8 string down to DGBE to see how it goes. It's definitely more mellow. If I decide I like it, I'll get some more suitable strings. So far I reckon I do.

Trains on the videos this week. We're all on a journey :eek:ld:

George Harrison brought this song to John Lennon on Lennon's 30th birthday in 1970. The song appears on All Things Must Pass.

I finally found the perfect song to break in the megaphone kazoo that Randy sent me as a prize for one of his seasons a while back. Another one from H.R. Pufnstuf.

SOTU 336 - a short version of Hoyt Axton's "Saturday's Child"

I started to work on Hoyt Axton's song, "Saturday's Child" for the last Season but ended up switching to the John Fogerty tune, "Almost Saturday Night," instead. So I thought I'd try Jon's challenge for this Season to shorten "Saturday's Child" up to less than 60 seconds and see if I could still capture the essence of the song.

My shortened version:

If you'd like to compare it to the longer, orginal you can find that at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCP2zOQEt14

It's occurring to me that this Season is a great time to fish through my lyrics notebook for all the little ideas that weren't worth making a full-length song out of. This is something I wrote in 2015, and I'm surprised now that this is one I'd entirely forgotten.

Lyrics:

This song is my buddy and pal for always
It borrows money it never repays
And when it knows just what I need to hear
It goes and helps itself to my last beer

This song is just something, something that I made
And I'm just its wingman to help it get laid
Someday it may run with a better crowd
I'll be both jealous and totally proud

Last edited:
Did I just see a kazoo!?!?! I gotta get in on that action ...

Ram On - Paul McCartney

And one more. Most anything'll fit in a minute if you just gut the chorus :)

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Bob Dylan

Top Bottom