My Jet 10-20 thickness sander.

Timbuck

Reaction score
TAS has got hold of me again.....Having upgraded my band saw I'm now contemplating replacing my jet 10-20 in favour of the latest Axminster supplied Jet JWDS 16-32 ..it's a bit pricey butI don't want to be the richest man in the graveyard..and it's got lots of new features that I like such as it monitors the work load and automatically adjust the speeds and feeds to suit....and best of all Mrs T is all for it.
see it in action here https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=95&v=XlLetShGDUI
This one is now up for sale on a well known auction site.
PICT0003.jpg

Last edited:
+1

When the wife allows it strike quickly before the moment passes. Lose not a minute! Time and tide wait for no man!

Mine goes up for sale after yours has sold Ken. I've had enough it and have a furniture project that requires the capacity of that machine....

Doh ! ... bought Kens before I saw this. Yours would have been easier for me to collect Pete ..

Last edited:
Looks like some improvements over the old Jet 16-32 I have. I suppose they had to do something after the Supermax came out here in the States. Wonder if they'll still have issues with wear on the height adjusting system. The sand smart function hasn't been so great IMO. I always run it at full bore with light passes. Otherwise the papers load up on oily woods. Probably not a problem with mahogany. I've heard of some using Abranet which would cut down on the loading. Haven't tried it yet. I think you have to cut the rolls.

The controls and dust collector are quite a bit different looking than my 16-32. The only thing I don't like about mine is the conveyor. I'll replace that when I find a good replacement.
Congratulations!!
:cheers:

Mine arrives tomorrow but doubt I'll have time to unpack it until next week!

The stand is the tricky part Pete..It's easy to to put it together wrong ..Read the instructions first, not last like I did.:uhoh:
And getting the main bit out of the box is a bit of a chew make sure you have some help.
Next job is i'm fitting castors so I can move it about co's i don't have a lot of space.

Mine will be on a castor base also. CNC is working better now i have had it modified ken. I understand it also because I have to y axis facing me :)

IMG_8527.jpg

Well Ken, you've started something here. It was an offer too good to miss, so looks like there will be another 10-20 plus going on the auction site.
Please don't post anymore pictures of your new machines, I can't afford it!
Cheers Mike.

I have one to sell. It seems daft both of us posting Mikey2. When do you intend to list yours? Thanks for the tip about the stand Ken...

I have one to sell. It seems daft both of us posting Mikey2. When do you intend to list yours? Thanks for the tip about the stand Ken...

Hi Pete, you were first. Just let me know when yours has gone. Message me on your FB page if you want(Mike Bradley). Cheers Mike.

Hi all,

I've recently switched over to running abranet ceramic mesh strips rather than the standard cloth and can not recommended them highly enough. These new strips have improved and speeded up my sanding by about 50%. I send hundreds of meters of material though a drum sander every month, so this really makes a huge difference to me. I've not burned a strip yet, even when mistakenly running a 240 strip rather than an 80. I'm most impressed with the p240, as I can creep up on my near final thickness rather quickly without worrying about deep scratches or burning the paper.

From what I understand, the ceramic mesh is a new version. For the UK folks, I get mine from Southern Filters in Axminster.

Josh

Hi all,

I've recently switched over to running abranet ceramic mesh strips rather than the standard cloth and can not recommended them highly enough. These new strips have improved and speeded up my sanding by about 50%. I send hundreds of meters of material though a drum sander every month, so this really makes a huge difference to me. I've not burned a strip yet, even when mistakenly running a 240 strip rather than an 80. I'm most impressed with the p240, as I can creep up on my near final thickness rather quickly without worrying about deep scratches or burning the paper.

From what I understand, the ceramic mesh is a new version. For the UK folks, I get mine from Southern Filters in Axminster.

Josh

Josh, have you needed to cut the width of the Abranet down to match the width of the Jet paper?

Hi all,

Josh

I just looked it up on the Axminster site and found this.

Not suitable for use with a drum sander
This is an interesting new abrasive, and I think it certainly has great potential. However, I bought it specifically to use on the Jet 16-32 drum sander, and found that it is simply not suitable.
What's new about this abrasive is it's open mesh that allows dust to pass through the sheet. This is potentially a fantastic quality, but used on a drum sander, not so. The meshed nature of the sheet makes it very flexible and elastic, which again is potentially a good thing, but what it means on a drum sander is no matter how tightly it is wound onto the drum it will stretch when a working load is applied - even when used carefully. The stretching creates slackness, which causes the windings on the drum to overlap each other, ultimately leading to disintegration.
Another problem is the abrasive's impressive ability to allow the wood dust to pass through its mesh, great for an orbital sander perhaps, but on a drum sander it leaves the drum itself coated with a thick layer of sticky dust and resin, even working with hardwoods.

Further to the above..It appears that the user was not using a suitable dust extractor unit . and you do have re-tension the strip a few times at first
due to stretching...a bit like Aquila strings :)

Further to the above..It appears that the user was not using a suitable dust extractor unit . and you do have re-tension the strip a few times at first
due to stretching...a bit like Aquila strings :)

Ken, I think Josh was talking about Abranet Ace which is a newer product with ceramic particles and stronger backing. Axminster don't appear to stock it, but the company Josh quotes does.
Mike

Top Bottom