Have we become a key market demographic?

I have noticed that more folks are being exposed to the uke. I even saw the First Act uke at Walmat a year or so ago. One of the things that attracted me to the instrument was that most of the folks that played were into playing and not collecting expensive ukes. There is a kind of snobbery (is that a word) in the guitar world. I've have a few cheap guitars I set up properly that really play nice. Other guitar players would be ashamed to play a non-fender/gibson guitar like I do. I mean realy ashamed, it's so dumb. I am starting to see the same type of behaviour in the uke world now.

If Ukes get really popular I would be surprised. You still have to have some patience and focus to learn how to play. Those are two traits that are becoming very rare.

Mainstream? Hardly a threat. There will be a spike in sales, we won't see a uke at a garage sale for two years, and then something else will come along.
A threat? No, but a presence for sure, and a lot of exposure. Ukes could be the next Spice Girls in consumer popularity... And I for one want to see it happen. I want ukes in every household. In every store, featured in windows and advertising flyers. I want kids carrying ukes down the street instead of skateboards. I want ukes hung on walls and stacked in cases under sideboards.

Why?

I'm eagerly awaiting for those garage sales so I can add to my collection at a good price, when the fad has passed! :D
Personally I play for me.
Ditto. I play for the fun of it, for my own entertainment and learning, to keep my fingers supple and my brain active. I play because I like making music.

In an argument, I will defend the uke as a serious instrument voraciously, but I really don't care if the listener agrees. I do and I'm the guy with the ukuleles in my living room.

Holy Crapoley. My first real post on UU and I wind up with a serious, intellectual discussion? Where did I go wrong? :eek:

When it comes to the uke's popularity/acceptance, there's one particular level that I can't WAIT to get to: where I no longer have to say "Seriously - the ukulele." People around me know me for making snarky, funny and/or random comments, so when I mention playing the uke, I usually just get one of those "That Brian - what a kidder" looks. If I mentioned playing guitar, I wouldn't get that look.

Of course, if I played guitar, I'd be a douchebag.

Haaaayooooo! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was in Orange, CT Friday afternoon and stopped in at Daddy's Junky Music. I wandered around a bit, making my way to the back where the acoustic stuff was. Lo and behold, on the wall above the little sound-proof section were what appeared to be every model of the Lanikai LU series uke! They had a tenor, a pineapple, a concert, a soprano, a couple that were a little too high up to identify, and a couple of Hilo ukes too.

An outstanding selection not only for what I've found around here so far, but for someone who's toying with the idea of picking up a uke for the first time. Think about it - while it would awesome to have a store with Kalas and Ponos and Martins and Kamakas and all, what better way to suck in new uke players than to have reasonable priced ukes? Once they get hooked, they'll be hooked enough to seek out the expensive ones.

Hmmmm... maybe they kept those in the back somewhere. "Pssst. Hey kid. You look like you're jonesing over there. Got a custom uke in the back room - get you what you need... You're not a cop, are you?"

I want to give a quick shout out to Ron, my Hodge brother, a few posts up. Awesome to hear about your 24 years! I'll be telling the other Hodgers about you for sure - we all like hearing about the ones that have made it through, and the longer ago the better :) I was a stage IV myself. Good times. ;)

Lastly, I'm now doing my part to spread the uke influence - three videos in a row last night - woo hoo! Now people can find me out there and thing "Man, if that jackass can sort of play one of those, anyone can!"

Ditto. I play for the fun of it, for my own entertainment and learning, to keep my fingers supple and my brain active. I play because I like making music.

In an argument, I will defend the uke as a serious instrument voraciously, but I really don't care if the listener agrees. I do and I'm the guy with the ukuleles in my living room.

Same here. I also use it for mental therapy. I have some MAJOR problems with perfectionism, and the uke has worked wonders on me. Aside from being soothing and fun, it's the first thing that I've let myself be bad at with no unrealistic expectations. Any time I start getting all perfectionist & OCD-ey, I just stop and have the same little conversation with myself:

"I know you really want to get the strums and the notes in this song perfectly right, and I understand. What was the date of your big sold out concert again? Right. No concert. But the tour is starting soon, right? Oh. No tour. Then it's probably because your bandmates are tired of you screwing up? Really? Not in a band? Huh. Must be that wedding/paid gig you have coming up. Oh, I see. No one's paying you to do this? Well then, I guess you'd just better chill out about it and go back to having fun."

Sometimes I think there are a lot of folks who could stand to have that conversation with themselves :)

guitars paving the way for more uke lovers

Quote from the Los Angeles Times, May 16, 2009 :"Sales of new acoustic pianos, which peaked three decades ago, have been harmed by the crash of the stock and housing markets, Lamond said. Figures from NAMM and Music Trades reveal that in 2000, 105,000 acoustic upright and grand pianos were sold in the United States. In 2007, the total was just 54,000. (Electronic piano sales rose from 82,000 to 121,000 over the same period, and Americans bought 1.2 million portable keyboards in 2007.)

By contrast, sales for a generally cheaper instrument -- the guitar -- have risen: From 1998 to 2007, acoustic guitar sales grew to 1,348,000 from 611,000; for electric guitars, the numbers grew to 1,520,000 from 543,000.

"The guitar has displaced the piano in a lot of the music people listen to -- and not just kids," Parakilas said.

People see the guitar -- mistakenly -- as easy to master, and "kids want to see themselves as guitar players," he said.

Garrett Sullivan, the manager of Adams Music, a popular spot on the Westside for lessons, said that electric guitar lessons have been gaining ground for years. It's by far the most popular in the Pico Boulevard studio, with band and orchestra instruments and piano competing for second place.
"

I think every new guitar player is a potential ukulele player! I give just as much effort and concentration into the ukulele as I did for the guitar. For me, the experience is the same. The ukulele has the advantage of smaller size, and lower cost, which are both helpful for today's lifestyle. So, I think that this bump in guitar players will evolve into future uke players. Maybe not for another 5 or 10 years, but I think it might happen. Especially if there continues to be the great range of quality ukuleles available from the craftsmen/ manufacturers we have today.
–Lori

Top Bottom