Kimo Hussey

RafterGirl

Reaction score
Wow. I just finished a two day workshop & ukulele retreat with Kimo Hussey. The leaders of our local ukulele groups arranged for him to come and it was amazing. What a gentle, funny, and approachable man who teaches from the heart. It was a joy learning from him & listening to him play. Two days of ukulele magic :love:

How expensive was it to have him come out?

-- Gary
I'm not sure. This was a collaboration between two local ukulele groups whose leaders have met him & done other workshops with him. Participation was limited to 60 people. It was wonderful to learn from him in a small setting.

Last edited:
Kimo has a very nice book of Hawaiian songs for the ukulele. I see Amazon has the Kindle version for $25, but that's how much I paid for the large paperback version last year.

https://www.amazon.com/He-Mele-Aloh...F8&qid=1532893345&sr=8-1&keywords=kimo+hussey

This was an amazing project by Kimo Hussey and others to obtain the rights and afford arrangements in other keys for kanikapila 'ukulele groups to legally play the songs in He Mele Aloha in public song circles. Kimo's MA KE KA'I "Of the sea" "Salt of the Earth" in this Poly's book! Kimo Hussey has a great love and passion to pay Hawai'i art and culture forward. Ric Douglas USMC Retired

Kimo has a very nice book of Hawaiian songs for the ukulele. I see Amazon has the Kindle version for $25, but that's how much I paid for the large paperback version last year.

https://www.amazon.com/He-Mele-Aloh...F8&qid=1532893345&sr=8-1&keywords=kimo+hussey

I've seen this book and it's important but not really useful unless you already know the song. Trying to use a song book, without melody or measure reminds of a paleontologist tring to figure out what an animal looked like from it's fossil jaw bone. I deeply wish somebody would take the next logical step and create what amounts to a fake books for this music.

-- Gary

So glad to read this thread. Agree, Kimo is really a nice guy. Took a small workshop type meeting with him and Joe Souza from Kanila’e in Honolulu on a cruise ship stop with Mike Lynch around 3 years ago. I have the Mele book and love it. It is big to take places and trying to copy the couple of pages I need is a pain. I ordered the Kindle version yesterday and love it. I use the big IPad Pro so no problem using it. I already have both Daily Uke books in my iBooks and use OnSong for many songs. Taking one iPad is good for me. If I want to carry more, I’’ll bring 2 ukes, one high g the other low. Thanks for sharing!

I took a class from Kimo & Zanuck at Arizona State University in Tempe several years ago, in conjunction with the Aloha Festival. Those guys are magical players. I could watch them play all day. Heck, watching them play a bit would have been worth the cost of the class alone!

Also, FWIW, I maintain a Youtube playlist of everything I you can find of Kimo: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoPy3RCyjksyi2CQlAgPJtiyT9pUyj-_s

Thanks for the playlist. Awesome.

I took a class from Kimo & Zanuck at Arizona State University in Tempe several years ago, in conjunction with the Aloha Festival. Those guys are magical players. I could watch them play all day. Heck, watching them play a bit would have been worth the cost of the class alone!

I agree. He is so magical to watch & listen to. He has the most gentle teaching style & his love for the ukulele is so evident as he teaches.

Top Bottom