Kiwaya KSU-1L Long Neck Soprano - REVIEW

Yeah, if it only had friction tuners! :p

Agreed, frictions look way better on sop or concert. These are the geared tuners you see on many cheap ukes: they are unbranded, look like Grover open geared (but aren't), and don't perform as well as Grovers. In fact, when I removed the strings to install Martins, you could easily wiggle the tuner button arms quite a bit in the gears, unlike Grovers, which are much more solid. If I really like this one, I'll probably install UPTs, which are my favorite. I know, some may consider it overkill on a $119.00 uke, but I'm all about utility on keeper ukes, and UPTs are the best. We'll see.

Strings seem wimpy/cheap too. Gauges are .42 .63 .53 .38. Way thinner than the Martins being installed now, which are .56 .86 .64 .49 An easily solved problem there.

Last edited:
One thing that surprised me was that nowhere on the uke does it mention Made in China, or any other info about origin; it only says Produced by Kiwaya on the inside label.

They are made in China though - the Kiwaya distributor to the UK told me himself. They are still building in Japan too as well.

Not to hijack Baz's review thread, but I ordered the KCU-1 concert version of this last Wed. from Rakuten Global while away on vacation, and was totally amazed when I went to the post office today (Monday) to pick up my mail, because it was already there waiting for me!

View attachment 111074

View attachment 111075

View attachment 111076

Ukecastor,
Fun that you got the concert!
Was there a customs charge on top of purchase and shipping fee? (Not knowing has kept me contained.)
Where is "upper US"?

Ukecastor,
Fun that you got the concert!
Was there a customs charge on top of purchase and shipping fee? (Not knowing has kept me contained.)
Where is "upper US"?

No customs charge, just the shipping from Japan. Upper US was a joke, something a bawdy high school teacher "taught" me back in the 70s.

BTW, it ended up that there was a buzz on the first 2 frets of the C string. My tech said there is probably a high fret further up the neck, and is fixing now, hopefully he can tap it down, and it won't need more expensive filing. So, based on that, and a few finish imperfections, I'd say that this MIC Kiwaya has lesser quality than the MIJ Kiwayas and Famous ukes I've played.

Without a doubt the QC is not as good on these as the Japanese versions (everyone of which I have seen of which has been flawless).. but.... they are a small fraction of the price and have a tone that far exceeds that low price. In my opinion anyway!

Kiwaya Student model

Was this sold out on world of ukes prior to your review??
If not, it implies your reviews carry a certain weight.

I wouldn't have a KM uke without your review tbf Baz.

I should comment that the "Student" range of Chinese-made Kiwaya ukuleles are all new models. We imported our first Kiwaya shipment into the UK earlier this summer, and included a small quantity of these to evaluate them. As is often the case, demand outstripped supply and we have to wait for our next shipment (imminent) to be able to supply all the back-orders. This range of ukes will never become ubiquitous, like Kala or others - even our second shipment has presented a challenge to Kiwaya because we've ordered many more than last time. My advice if to buy one when you get the opportunity, preferably from a dealer in the UK, where we offer full warranty and backup support .

Thanks Mark - and I may well need to grab one!

everything is sold out of WoU at the moment lol

This is also out of stock at Duke of Ukes in London.

part of me not sorry ;) too much time on my hands and too like money

Thanks again for the review, Baz. This is by far my cheapest uke, but my favorite. I think I'll stop buying them now.

Kiwaya KSU-1L Long Neck Soprano Ukulele is back in stock on World of Ukes for £129.00 plus £15 to ship to the US.
I took a chance on it an ordered one.

Last edited:
Mine was ordered on a Sunday or Monday morning from World of Ukes and arrived on Thursday. I'm delighted with it.

I ordered mine at 6:00 AM Monday morning (Central) and it arrived Friday afternoon.
Matt was easy to work with via email. I had not added the internation shipping charge and we got that corrected.

The uke is just as promised. It is super light weight and rings like a bell. The fit and finish are not perfect. There are a couple of scruffy areas, but the laminate is pretty.
I am not sure about the strings that are on it. I will let them settle and see if I want to change them.

was going to get one, but then saw Bazmaz’s review of the DUKE of London brand uke ....baritone...and decided I rather have that for about same money.

Last edited:
was going to get one, but then saw Bazmaz’s review of the DUKE of London brand uke ....baritone...and decided I rather have that for about same money.

VERY very different things of course. I like both instruments.

Top Bottom