Kiwaya KSU-1L Long Neck Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I spotted this new line last week, and barely avoided buying one. Now it's going to be even more difficult to resist.

Thanks for another great review. It is a remarkably good sounding instrument, better than some solid wood instruments I have heard. Kiwaya does a terrific job.

How come this uke with glue seep around the bracing, "Inside is a touch scruffy for a Kiwaya with some glue seepage in various places. The linings are not notched and the bracing looks very simple. Once again though, I have seen much worse", and the S1 with one of the cleanest internal builds, "Looking inside and we see one of the tidiest ukulele builds I have ever seen, hands down. Really.. EVER. The kerfing linings are notched and angled into the top and back joints, the braces are delicate and there is absolutely no mess at all.", yet both get a 9 for fit and finish?

Last edited:
Because it’s not an exact science, and more about feel. I’d rather buy one of these than an S1, but in reality I rate them about the same in the big scheme of things

Last edited:
Or rather, perhaps the Martin is a 9.04, and the Kiwaya is an 8.96...

No problem Baz. I value your opinion very highly and was just wondering.

I suppose it’s also because my views change with time too. Some of the scores I gave out 8 years back I no longer agree with. But I always stuck to a policy of not going back and editing things

Was this sold out on world of ukes prior to your review??
If not, it implies your reviews carry a certain weight.

I wouldn't have a KM uke without your review tbf Baz.

No I believe they sold out today after the review... oops.

Not the first time that’s happened.. I hope they carry some weight otherwise they would be utterly pointless!

They’ll be back in stock on WOU shortly I believe

I love it when you smile like that.

Nickie - ha ha! Yes, it really did surprise me. When I knew it was coming my way for review (and bearing in mind I am a BIG fan of the higher end Kiwaya's) I must admit I was not expecting big things. Thought it would be a generic re-badging job.

Quite the opposite. This one stands up to many solid sopranos that cost more than twice this. It's remarkable.

It is fun to watch your reaction to different instruments. Sometimes it may be a tidy build with decent specs, but it seems to leave you flat. Other times you sparkle with delight like a young child on Christmas morning surprised by what you have found. Often your initial reaction in those few seconds as you start to play can (almost) say more than your full review. Thanks for all the great work!

Last edited:
Not sure what store would charge to ship to USA - you’d need to enquire with them. There are though several Kiwaya dealers in the US - HMS are one of them. I don’t see why they shouldn’t be able to order in this model as it’s in the Kiwaya line now

Pretty enticing...

How much is shipping to the US on this? Website doesn't tell... Are there customs fees to pay on this end?
Who then will carry these stateside (US)?

Well, guess I'll wait for an intrepid US dealer.
Shipping is nearly 70% of purchase price for one vendor on Rakuten. (I guess that website represents a variety of dealers?)

No - Rakuten are not a dealer in that sense - more a grey importer and exporter. Though saying that, postage costs are postage cost and they will be high.

Best bet is to speak to a US dealer, give them the model number and ask them to get stock. If enough people do so to suggest demand they would be silly not to

Wow, that was fast. And it's a very nice looking uke! It's getting difficult for me to resist buying one.

Yeah, if it only had friction tuners! :p

Top Bottom