Song Help Request Nellie McKay's "Lazybones"

jbo27712

Reaction score
I have most of this figured out but can't quite get the bridge. Both times the camera cuts off the view of her left hand! It runs into minors/flats/ a walkdown I can't get. Have googled everywhere but finding nothing even close despite many previous recordings (Carmichael, Crosby, Redbone, etc.) Note: I am not after another transposed version. I am after the chords SHE is actually playing. The walkdown from "And when you go fishin'" starts with Bm, BbMaj7, and then...?

Appreciate any ideas. Thanks --
https://youtu.be/ALEhtukKb-o

VERSE:
G C G C
Lazy bones, sleepin' in the sun
G C D7 G G7
How you 'spect to get your day's work done?
Bm B7 Am Eb D G
You'll never get your day's work done sleepin' in the noon day sun

BRIDGE:
C
When taters need sprayin', I bet you keep prayin'
G C G7
The bugs fall off the vine;
Bm BbMaj7 ? ? ?
And when you go fishin' I bet you keep wishin'
A7? D7
That the fish won't grab at your line

Mya Moe Super Soprano
Gold Tone Little Gem Banjolele
Kala Waterman
Cordoba Tenor

Last edited:
my wife has a fake book ... I transposed it to G

G C G C
lazy bones sleepin in the sun

G C D+ G G7
how u spect to get your days work done

Ebdim7 Dbdim7 A7/Db Dm/A Am
Never get your days work done

A7b5 D7 C. G. D7
sleepin in the noonday sun

D7 C. G. C. G

2. in the eve....nin shade

C. C6. Cmaj7. C6
when taters need sprayin. bet you keep prayin

G. D7. G
bugs fall offada vine

C7. Bb7. A7. D7
and when you go fishin I bet you keep wishin

A7. Am7. D7
fish won't grab at your line

I had that all spaced out proper on my tablet... but it didn't post that way.... and ignore the periods after the chords... my tablet insisted on putting them there.

I am looking for the chords Nellie McKay is playing in the video, please

I had that all spaced out proper on my tablet... but it didn't post that way.... and ignore the periods after the chords... my tablet insisted on putting them there.

I understand that there are many versions online. Even transposing them by hand, using tools, fake books,etc. they are not the chords she is playing in the video. The walkdown in the bridge at ("when you go fishin') starts with Bm and BbMaj7... then what?

https://youtu.be/ALEhtukKb-o

Near as I can tell she's actually playing a different tuning - the first chords only appear to be G and C as you have it written, but it sounds to me like she's playing F and Bb

Near as I can tell she's actually playing a different tuning - the first chords only appear to be G and C as you have it written, but it sounds to me like she's playing F and Bb

Ah-- could be. Someday I'm going to learn to think of that first. Thanks.

I can't help, but y'all made me remember how much I love the Leon Redbone version!

I love the song forum because every once in awhile I find a really cool song that I'm not familiar with. I hadn't heard Lazy Bones before & I love it. I found it on Jim's Ukulele Songbook in C, D, and G. To me C sounds best, but I can't sing it in C. G fits my feeble voice the best. I added a couple chord (Ddim in the verse, Em6 in the chorus) & a G to G7 walk down to Jim's version. The walk down is G, slide the G down a fret (can't find a chord name on Uke Buddy) then G7. Sounds good to me.

Last edited:
I’m playing 0121, not 0222. I’m taking my G shape 0232 and sliding it down one fret. When I put that in Uke Buddy chord maker it has no chord name.

Ah, in that case, you could call it or F#/G, F#(b9) or GmM7b5. I was confused because you said you slid the G down, which I assumed was a note rather than shape name. I think of a shape as including open strings, as in the movable counterparts to fixed shapes.
Thanks. I think I’ll put F#b9 on my songsheet & draw a chord diagram to remember what I did for that walk down.

Top Bottom