Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumbo Baritone Build

Default Jumbo Baritone Build

I had a parlor guitar made by George Thomas and liked it so much he is building me a "special" Jumbo baritone.

It'll be a tenor guitar sized body(17"long 13"wide lower bout, 4 1/4" deep) with a 1 3/8th nut, 21.88 scale nylon strung.

Florentine cutaway, 4A Red Cedar top, 4A walnut b&s, mahogany neck with rosewood or ebony fretboard. Thomas asymmetrical neck( centerline veers off to the lower 12th fret eliminating the need to change wrist positions going up the neck) arm rest bevel, sound port, K&K pickup and Waverly or Gilbert tuners.

He specializes in making ergonomic style guitars and ukes. I play from a wheelchair and found the changes he made provided a big difference in the comfort of holding and playing a larger instrument. One being he made the depth of the upper rear bout a 1/4" narrower to help give a better attack angle to the strings.

I was getting an impingement on the ulnar nerve so with this one, we're making a few changes. A scoop on the lower bout to lower and move the instrument body a bit forward and a larger arm bevel to help with the impingement and lower the shoulder to a more comfortable position. He made a foam copy of the body to finetune the angle of the scoop and bevel to correspond with how I hold it. The scoop will also help anchor the body to my thigh.

I alway say, this is the last one. It will be.... until the next one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 07-30-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Yep Campbell, this is a truly custom instrument. And to think, this guy lives only 20 minutes away from me. I love his asymmetrical neck and how easy it is to play up the frets.

Hey Patrick,

Congratulations on the new ukulele. I remember that you like baritones and I'm happy to see that George is able to build you an ukulele that will have a big baritone voice but will accommodate your needs for playing it. I can't wait to hear you play it!

Here's the latest photos so far with the larger angled bevel on the front and scoop on the back lower bout. The one with the red line going down the center is a laser for lining up the neck with the body.

Another month and should be done... hopefully. I think it's gonna be a great instrument with the larger body and 21.8" nylon strung scale. Looks like he used bloodwood for the binding.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 09-25-2018 at 07:05 AM.

Patrick, I have been anxiously awaiting pictures and an update on this. Thanks for posting and sharing. I really like this instrument a lot, the wood choices the ergonomic shapes, colors of trim. Everything is coming together beautifully. That is gonna big one great sounding baritone, the grandaddy of all baritones.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Looks great, Patrick. I am a committed Baritone player. I think this will be a great sounding instrument.

Oh gosh, it is coming along quite nicely. Can’t wait to hear it and see it at completion.
    Congratulations on a gorgeous Baritone.

Patrick, I love the design and overall look. Looks like lots of thought went into it. Well done! Thanks for the pictures.

-Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Way to go!

Thanks guys, it's coming along nicely. Thanks Doc for blowing up the two photos.

The scoop was my idea to drop it a bit and also have it sit forward a bit to get a faster attack on the strum. I'm mostly using a Bill Stokes flat pick to get that old tortoise shell sound. Deciding on the strings to use. I have a set of the light heavy gauge Dirk suggested a while ago or perhaps the T-I. 3&4 with Savarez trebles.

I gave him full freedom to do as he pleased with the esthetics. He's well known for the end grafts he makes. This is on the parlor he made for me recently named after my brother. The small dot on the bottom triangle is his mark to honor my brother.

He named it Kaona. Means multiple or hidden meanings in Hawaiian mele(songs) or poetry.

Thread Information