Gluing the ends of frets to binding strips.

I did have some squeeze out in the front slots. Didn't see a real good way of cleaning that out, although I got some of the worst cleaned up with a hacksaw blade cut off at an angle. One by one I inspected each fret slot end and reduced the tang width accordingly. That seemed okay. I will certainly do a better job cleaning those slots up next time!

Once again, I thank you for your observations and encouragement!

Stew-Mac has a hooked blade that fits an Exacto handle. Works best on fresh glue though.

I have found that the CA glue keeps better if put in an airtight container and then in the fridge.....It seems to last a bit longer anyway.....

Good job being persistent Chuck...one more hurdle behind you...
You will reap the rewards soon!

A good trick! I think that the worst slot-end on this fretboard may have to mm of hardened Titebond. Many of them are much better than that.

My second 4 feet of fretwire arrived and I have cleaned up this fretboard by sanding incrementally to 400 grit. John Hall of Blues Creek Guitars suggests using Titebond to help with fretting. He's doing a Rosewood fretboard in his video. I am working on bird's-eye maple. Once again, I pulled the frets I installed the first time so that I could do it right the second time. 😉

Someone suggested to glue these in and I'm willing to do that. I'm a little concerned about cleaning up glue at the edges of the frets. I've seen video from others who use CA glue by running a fine bead along the front on the nut side. I'm open to suggestions and opinions on this. Don't plan to do this a third time... :)

My second 4 feet of fretwire arrived and I have cleaned up this fretboard by sanding incrementally to 400 grit. John Hall of Blues Creek Guitars suggests using Titebond to help with fretting. He's doing a Rosewood fretboard in his video. I am working on bird's-eye maple. Once again, I pulled the frets I installed the first time so that I could do it right the second time. ��

Someone suggested to glue these in and I'm willing to do that. I'm a little concerned about cleaning up glue at the edges of the frets. I've seen video from others who use CA glue by running a fine bead along the front on the nut side. I'm open to suggestions and opinions on this. Don't plan to do this a third time... :)
I quick bead with thin CA and wipe off with a rag soaked in acetone.

I actually never glue in my frets and have never had a problem (yet). I like to think of the repair guy (gal) down the line after I'm gone will not have to pull glued in worn frets. Be kind to the repair person. I figure this is why frets have tangs. My frets go in tight and need no stinking glue. If I did use a glue, I would not use Tightbond. Aliphatic glues to not glue to metal. A drop or two of CA and you are glued. Good luck getting them out without tearout. This is where a soldering iron comes in handy.

Ken Franklin suggested I might consider gluing them in given that I had pulled the first batch out. That might have made the slots a little bit sloppier.

I actually never glue in my frets and have never had a problem (yet). I like to think of the repair guy (gal) down the line after I'm gone will not have to pull glued in worn frets. Be kind to the repair person. I figure this is why frets have tangs. My frets go in tight and need no stinking glue. If I did use a glue, I would not use Tightbond. Aliphatic glues to not glue to metal. A drop or two of CA and you are glued. Good luck getting them out without tearout. This is where a soldering iron comes in handy.

A lot of repair guys do heat the frets with a soldering iron when pulling frets. Pretty easy.

The Titebond doesn't stick so well to the metal but it does stick to the wood making it harder for fret tangs to loosen when the humidity changes. I thin it which helps the wood swell a bit and doesn't leave a lot in the slot. I've used CA too with the acetone wipe. Works fine if you have pipettes.

Got frets in successfully and ran a bead of thin CA glue along each and wiped best I could with a paper towel and acetone. I filed the tang nearly away meaning I didn't take off material from the underside of the crown. I figured a little pounding into the binding at the feet ends is better than having a void of any sort between binding and fret ends as before.

Now to address flattening them and shaping -yet another new and scary thing. :)

Attachments

• 20180807_215011.jpg
    20180807_215011.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 22
Before I set my frets I will wax the board with Renaissance Wax. After I press the frets in I will prop the board against something at a 45 degree angle and touch the tip of a pipette to the upside of the fret and release a couple of drops of thin CA to it. The wax repels any residual glue there might be and if there are a few beads of glue leftover they are easily removed by dabbing with a paper towel.

Top Bottom