Klos ukulele anyone? Feedback?

Following and appreciate all the reviews and commentary. I always go to school with this group when new ukes are coming in. I am very interested in this instrument but for the price tag, I am waiting to see what adjustments are being made.
Thanks everyone!
GPC

Just read a post from Adam Klosowiak that my DelxElecAcoust is being made right now! Should have it in a week! Pics to samples to come. I might swing by the shop and have Jason Arimoto check it out and make adjustments and string change first however.

I got mine at the end of September, and it's just as nice as I thought it would be. I got the stiffening rods, strap buttons, and strap. If you find it too slippery to hold comfortably, these pads work very well. The woman who came up with the idea was selling them at the Funky Frets Uke Fest last week. Three people in our group bought them, and I ordered two more.

https://www.stickinwithmyuke.com/

Last edited:
One thing that bugged me was the chrome washers that sit under the hex bushings. Since the headstock is smaller than normal the washers look enormous; like 4 big buttons. I couldn't find any black metal washers that would fit, so I picked up some nylon washers at Ace Hardware. I used a dremel and a round file to get them to the right ID. I know it is personal taste, but I like the cleaner look.

I am also not a fan of the plastic pearloid tuner buttons on this uke, so I used some chrome guitar buttons I had laying around. They might be a little big, and I may one day swap them out, but for me it gives a nice beefy look.

View attachment 111704

John

Hello, @70sSanO, I know this is probably a terribly "newbie" question but can one just swap out the "tuner grips"? (Is that the right term? If not, please let me know!) That is what I understood that you did. I never liked the white tuner grips and, like most everyone else here, I thought that the black ratio tuner upgrade was well overpriced. Plus, I was already a little perturbed at the costs of all the little "extras" ($20 for Low-G, $20 for strap buttons, $30 for TUSC Nut, $30 for stiffening rods, nylon vs fluoro strings, etc) and didn't feel like an extra $75 for what, for me, would have been a purely aesthetic upgrade. Having said that, I'd love to switch them over to black, if that's possible!

I believe I was in the low 80's for my Indiegogo backer number, so, my understanding is that my KLOS was shipped after they decided to make the switch to lower the action from 3.0mm to 2.5mm. However, I still find it more difficult to play than my Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Soprano, who's action is lower. In fact, I've had enough difficulty that it's been discouraging me about my playing. But once I tried the OU again, I realize it's dealing with getting used to the new uke. For instance, on my OU, I can do barre (bar?) chords without any trouble but trying with all my might, I cannot get a good bar on the KLOS.

I'd love to hear suggestions from anyone as to things I could easily do to make the KLOS easier to play. I'm a little worried about trying to lower the action further because KLOS said something about how they felt this was the most they could lower the action without causing significant buzzing - and indeed, I do get some buzzing as it is occasionally. However, I read earlier in this thread that people felt that the included (nylon) strings were incredibly thick. I'm curious if switching out strings might improve things. I thought I read that different type strings (even on a tenor) have different string tension so that there may exist a type of strings that also have lower tension in addition to being "thinner". Did I dream that up? Would this also help make it easier to play? I'm open to considering most any strings. It's not a huge cost difference to swap them out. Oddly, I'm not having much trouble with the wound Low-G but the other 3 nylon strings, I'm having a great deal of trouble with. Is there anything else you can think of that might help? I don't have any real skill re: working on a uke, which is why I'm asking about simple things to begin with. :)

Just to give a bit of extra info, I have a rare genetic disease that causes my collagen to be faulty (and have literal head to toe significant health issues as a result). One of the effects are hypermobile, weak joints across my body. One of the reasons that I decided to try uke (other than falling in love with it) was that it would help my hands to be a bit stronger. Having said that, as much as I try to work on my hand strength, there is simply no way they will every be "normal" strength. I only say this because I'm not trying to avoid "putting in the work" to get my hands better, it's just a realistic fact that my finger joints will dislocate and always be loose. This is why I'm trying to seek ways to make the KLOS more easily playable, like my OU. I have to say, I personally love the intonation and the resonance of the KLOS so I really hope I can make it easier for me to play. :)

Lastly, I want to get one of the D'Addario Micro Tuners for the KLOS but I'm not liking the clip-on version on the high gloss finish (I'm borrowing it from my spouse for the moment). I'm considering the D'Addario NS Micro Soundhole Tuner or the D'Addario NS Micro Clip-Free Tuner. Any thoughts as to which one might work best? I think either will be OK on this uke in terms of fit, but I'd love to hear opinions on which might be better and why. I'm including links to both below.

D'Addario NS Micro Soundhole Tuner:
http://www.daddario.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=1073

D'Addario NS Micro Clip-Free Tuner:
http://www.daddario.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=1156

.......I believe I was in the low 80's for my Indiegogo backer number, so, my understanding is that my KLOS was shipped after they decided to make the switch to lower the action from 3.0mm to 2.5mm. However, I still find it more difficult to play than my Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Soprano, who's action is lower. In fact, I've had enough difficulty that it's been discouraging me about my playing. But once I tried the OU again, I realize it's dealing with getting used to the new uke. For instance, on my OU, I can do barre (bar?) chords without any trouble but trying with all my might, I cannot get a good bar on the KLOS.

I'd love to hear suggestions from anyone as to things I could easily do to make the KLOS easier to play. I'm a little worried about trying to lower the action further because KLOS said something about how they felt this was the most they could lower the action without causing significant buzzing - and indeed, I do get some buzzing as it is occasionally. However, I read earlier in this thread that people felt that the included (nylon) strings were incredibly thick. I'm curious if switching out strings might improve things. I thought I read that different type strings (even on a tenor) have different string tension so that there may exist a type of strings that also have lower tension in addition to being "thinner". Did I dream that up? Would this also help make it easier to play? I'm open to considering most any strings. It's not a huge cost difference to swap them out. Oddly, I'm not having much trouble with the wound Low-G but the other 3 nylon strings, I'm having a great deal of trouble with. Is there anything else you can think of that might help? I don't have any real skill re: working on a uke, which is why I'm asking about simple things to begin with. :)......

All it needs is a good setup. Mine (#11) came with about 3.2 mm action at the 12th fret, and I lowered it to 2.2 mm (~0.090") at the 12th. I also lowered the action at the nut from between 0.030" and 0.040" down to 0.020" on all strings. No buzzing, using Living Waters low G fluorocarbon strings. And when he tried my Klos out Choirguy commented about just how low I had the action. So really you just need to take it to a good tech and suggest these sort of values as a goal. An alternative would be to take both your Klos and your OU to a good tech, and tell him to set up the Klos to be as low as the OU. (All of which serves to point out just how good the Outdoor ukuleles are, for just $150!)

The tuner "grips" are called buttons, sometimes knobs. They are not all the same. I'm guessing Gotoh compatible tuner buttons, would work, but I'm not positive. This is based on most import tuning machines seem to look more like Gotohs than Grover's.

In a nutshell, as mentioned above, the ukulele needs to be setup. After tuning down to B instead of C, I occasionally get a slight buzz on the B (3rd) string. My action is set at .095". I will probably lower it a bit more and see how it is. I don't really want to do any fret work, but that might be unavoidable. After taking it on a week long vacation, I found it a bit challenging at times, compared to my wood tenors, but overall it fit the situation. It does lack a bit of volume.

For you, the obvious issue is having to pay for a setup on a new ukulele, but it is what it is. Unfortunately for the buyers of the early production units, the newer ones should have incorporated some improvements. Whether that results in improved playability, I can't answer.

John

I'd love to hear suggestions from anyone as to things I could easily do to make the KLOS easier to play. I'm open to considering most any strings. It's not a huge cost difference to swap them out. Oddly, I'm not having much trouble with the wound Low-G but the other 3 nylon strings, I'm having a great deal of trouble with. Is there anything else you can think of that might help? I don't have any real skill re: working on a uke, which is why I'm asking about simple things to begin with. :)

Lastly, I want to get one of the D'Addario Micro Tuners for the KLOS but I'm not liking the clip-on version on the high gloss finish (I'm borrowing it from my spouse for the moment). I'm considering the D'Addario NS Micro Soundhole Tuner or the D'Addario NS Micro Clip-Free Tuner. Any thoughts as to which one might work best? I think either will be OK on this uke in terms of fit, but I'd love to hear opinions on which might be better and why. I'm including links to both below.

I have a couple of micro tuners, but it isn't like either of the ones you linked. Mine is more like the second one, but without the screw. I'd never screw a tuner into a uke. This tuner works very welly, and is definitely out of site. I put is on the bottom of the headstock. I know what you mean about the scratch potential, though, A bit of rubber on the grips might help.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LL2ZAM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My favorite tuner is the Snark. It's big and obvious, but it responds quickly. Tuners are like pens. I have lots of them spread all over the house.
https://smile.amazon.com/Snark-SN6X...539687392&sr=1-3&keywords=snark+ukulele+tuner

There must be a good music shop within driving driving distance. Doing a custom setup should be easy for a professional. If you get the strings down to 3 mm or less, it should be more comfortable. Be aware that going too low can mess things up.

As for the "tuning machines," a search on Amazon showed 274 items. I don't find the standard Klos tuners offensive, nor do I mind the action as the instrument came from Klos. Half a mm one way or the other is okay with me.
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_s...ias=mi&field-keywords=ukulele+tuning+machines

Howdy - I just got mine yesterday, and besley, your post from 8-17 pretty much described my experience. High action, and the low g slot on the nut was too small. I'm planning on swapping out the strings too. How did you adjust the height in the bridge? Did you just sand it on the ukulele?

Howdy - I just got mine yesterday, and besley, your post from 8-17 pretty much described my experience. High action, and the low g slot on the nut was too small. I'm planning on swapping out the strings too. How did you adjust the height in the bridge? Did you just sand it on the ukulele?

Oh dear, I hoped they would have improved things by now - and we are probably scaring off potential buyers with all of our stories of required setup work. Anyway, as part of my initial setup up I first adjusted the string height at the nut, and then sanded down the saddle. Seeing there wasn't much of the saddle left standing proud of the bridge I removed the strings and saddle, and covered the top with masking tape. Then I just used a sanding block directly on the bridge with 80 grit paper until I had lowered it enough (stopping frequently to measure the height with a digital caliper). I then followed up with finer grits to tidy up, and finished up with oiling the bridge with fretboard oil (and did the fretboard too while I was at it). I'm very pleased with the result, and the uke is well worth the effort to get the setup just right.

Received mine and am selling it. I bought it because all my friends were all doing it, and yes, I would jump off a bridge if they were doing that, too. I got the electric version with all the bells and whistles. The uke sounds better than I thought it would. Fun to plug in and play. Has the built in tuner, which is handy. It’s a looker, too, with the black tuners. I’ll be selling it because while I was waiting for it I acquired 3 more ukuleles. So the Klos is a bit redundant for me. I got a baritone and really dig that right now. I am offering the Klos to my local ukulele groups first to avoid shipping. If no one bites, I’ll try selling it on the UU marketplace.

Yah, I think the neck and frets feel good, and the overall quality feels solid. The action just needs to be adjusted...

I had the slots filed down on the nut, and it plays WAY better. I’m thoroughly enjoying playing it now. #happycamper

I'm not exactly a Uke newbie, but I've never had a uke "set up" but feel that my Klos needs some professional attention. How can I find a place in S. California that can be relied upon to do that well? Any recommendations?

I'm not exactly a Uke newbie, but I've never had a uke "set up" but feel that my Klos needs some professional attention. How can I find a place in S. California that can be relied upon to do that well? Any recommendations?

You should contact McCabe's in Santa Monica and see if they'll do it. I'd be shocked if they don't have a luthier.

Solarbuddy, I recommend George Kaye (Kaye's Music Scene) 19369 Victory Blvd. Reseda CA 91335 (818)881-5566 I visited his amazing store today and we talked for a while. This guy is for real. There is another place in Downtown Los Angeles is U-Space Ukuleles. Jason Arimoto is the owner/operator. He has worked on all my ukuleles and is a wonderful uke artist. 244 San Pedro St, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (323)577-5567

Solarbuddy, I recommend George Kaye (Kaye's Music Scene) 19369 Victory Blvd. Reseda CA 91335 (818)881-5566 I visited his amazing store today and we talked for a while. This guy is for real. There is another place in Downtown Los Angeles is U-Space Ukuleles. Jason Arimoto is the owner/operator. He has worked on all my ukuleles and is a wonderful uke artist. 244 San Pedro St, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (323)577-5567

I'm sorry to see this new ukulele getting so much bad publicity. Mine was fine right out of the box, but maybe I'm nut as particular as some people. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again if something happened to mine. Three people in our group have them, and they always get compliments on the appearance and the sound.

Some of the nut issues have to do with the thick nylon strings that are used on the basic uke. In my conversation with KLOS, I was told that the nut slots are cut in a "V" shape to accommodate both the thicker nylon and thinner fluorocarbon strings. The problem with this is the thicker nylon strings sit higher in the nut (V shape) and make the uke more difficult to play; even when I swapped out the nylon with with fluorocarbon string it was better, but the nut slots needed some work to suit my preference.

A one size nut slot fits all approach doesn't make too much sense. Nor do the nylon strings to save a few bucks. It is a very good ukulele, it should have decent strings and be shipped with a playable setup that will allow for some additional lowering of the action. In my opinion strings set at 2.5mm at the 12th fret and a .2mm at the first fret (while fretting the string at the 3rd) is playable and still allows the strings to be brought down to 2.25mm or less (12th) and just touching the first fret (fretted 3rd).

John

Ok, so just received my Deluxe Acoustic Electric with Low G and stiffeners. OH BABY, It is beautiful!!!! It feels so good in my hands. It is a fabulous instrument. It weighs just a bit more than my Tiny Tenor. I just plugged it in and I am thoroughly impressed with the Fishman Kula. The setup is on the money. Action and intonation is great across the neck from top to bottom. So, they got the messages from you all. Ok, I agree it could use better strings. The more I play it I realize that C string is enormous. And booms a lot from the 7th to 9th fret. But, they are fairly decent. I'll leave that up to Jason Arimoto when I drop it off to him. The neck is thicker than my Tiny Tenor (thicker not wider) I'll have to get used to it.

Is the KLOS considered a long neck Tenor?

Anyway, without a strap, it feels out of balance with most of the weight towards the neck. But the wide grippy strap makes it feel balanced.

Time will tell if this become my favorite. It most certainly will be the one that travels with me. And the only electric that I currently have.

Top Bottom