Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Klos ukulele anyone? Feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    I will be reviewing one on Got A Ukulele in about 3 weeks time. I think they are about to close the Indigogo and launch their own website to launch the uke proper (as it were).

My review model arrived a week or two ago - it looks promising!
    Looking forward to this. They look brilliant I have to say. Hopefully someone in the UK or Europe will look at stocking them.

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    I have to say this is the best this ukulele has ever sounded. I don’t know if it is because the bridge is now more solidly attached, or if it is the through bridge string setup, but it is so much louder than it was before. Even my wife commented that it sounds so much better and louder. I think the buffalo horn saddle improved the tone, but being softer than graphtech, it should not be louder.

The ukulele came back strung with .022, .031, .026, .020. I changed the strings, and added beads, using .024, .031, .026, .022 and tuned to re-entrant B. The .031 is thicker than what I normally use and it really surprised me on how nice it plays and sounds.

John
    Very interesting. I like the idea of going right through the soundboard.
    Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. Low-G. I named it "Lumière"
    Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol. High-G I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele wound Low-G
    Cynthia Lin Performance uke. Concert scale with a cutaway Low-G
    Kala Soprano KA-KCT-S Ziricote fitted with Ernie Ball clear High-G
    Just ordered a tenor sized custom electric uke from Brian Fanner . . . wonder how long ETA. . .

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    Very interesting. I like the idea of going right through the soundboard.
    I do too, but the downside of just drilling holes is not having a bridge plate. A bridge plate distributed the string tension (pounds per sq in) over the surface area of the soundboard the same way the bridge does where it is attached. The string tension on a tenor ukulele is around 40lbs. I don’t know how that translates to the actual amount of string pull on the soundboard in pound per sq, using just beads.

If the KLOS soundboard is a sandwich with foam between inner and outer carbon fiber sheets, then the risk is not the carbon fiber failing, but the foam compressing. I have no idea what the impact might be. I am hoping the Prius experiment would also test the sandwich soundboard, to some extent, and not just the edges and ukulele sides. For now everything seems to be fine.

John
    Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-18-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    You can't say "never" in all cases. I was the 26th person in line for the Indiegogo campaign for the deluxe electric acoustic version and it is a great uke. The only caveat is the setup. I had to lower the 2nd fret and mirror polish all the frets. The intonation is spot on, the neck has no warpage, no frets had sharp ends, the strings were Fluorocarbon with the exception of the low G which was wound. I did change out the C string to balance the string set. The Fishman Kula gives me accurate readings for all the strings when tuning. The uke is relatively heavy. Especially compared to my solid mahogany Tiny Tenor. But, the fit and finish of the KLOS is outstanding. I play it more than any of the others. And it is incredible that I can shred on it as well as fingerpick classical. Not a rattle, not a mistune.
    This is really interesting. I'm not sure when they changed the neck angle but I'm pretty sure the one I got had the lower action from user feedback - which is good because I still find the action high (for me) & harder to play. I was backed#81 overall including regular and acoustic/electric sales.

However, mine already buzzed with almost any playing. Got quite annoying and made me work my hands crazy hard to try to see if I wanting fretting "hard" enough but breaking my fingers this way really made no difference on the buzz sound. Also, I have a lot of trouble barring anywhere on this uke whereas I don't have any trouble on my other uke. That had me quite down. All in all, I really like it but it's not as easy to play as I anticipated or expected, which is sad. Of course now, I can't play it at all since my bridge also fell off like @70sSanO did. Gonna reach out to Klos tomorrow & see what they can do to help me get this sorted out. Really not cool to have a 4 month of old uke with just a couple of hours of play on it (between us, we've have 9 surgeries in the last year so less time to play then I'd hoped) break like that.

Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by lifereinspired View Post
    This is really interesting. I'm not sure when they changed the neck angle but I'm pretty sure the one I got had the lower action from user feedback - which is good because I still find the action high (for me) & harder to play. I was backed#81 overall including regular and acoustic/electric sales.

However, mine already buzzed with almost any playing. Got quite annoying and made me work my hands crazy hard to try to see if I wanting fretting "hard" enough but breaking my fingers this way really made no difference on the buzz sound. Also, I have a lot of trouble barring anywhere on this uke whereas I don't have any trouble on my other uke. That had me quite down. All in all, I really like it but it's not as easy to play as I anticipated or expected, which is sad. Of course now, I can't play it at all since my bridge also fell off like @70sSanO did. Gonna reach out to Klos tomorrow & see what they can do to help me get this sorted out. Really not cool to have a 4 month of old uke with just a couple of hours of play on it (between us, we've have 9 surgeries in the last year so less time to play then I'd hoped) break like that.

Ugh.
    You know, this is the third KLOS whose bridge has come off that I know of. You, 70sSanO, and a woman on a FaceBook group. Make some noise for sure with KLOS. Tell them straight up they should make it good. Words and reputations = sales and word spreads fast on social media. But, say it in a nice way, of course. Most of their ukes have not had problems. But, three with the same problem is alarming considering the relatively low numbers made so far.
    Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. Low-G. I named it "Lumière"
    Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol. High-G I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    Just ordered a tenor sized custom electric uke from Brian Fanner . . . wonder how long ETA. . .

Quote Originally Posted by lifereinspired View Post

Ugh.
    You know, this is the third KLOS whose bridge has come off that I know of. You, 70sSanO, and a woman on a FaceBook group. Make some noise for sure with KLOS. Tell them straight up they should make it good. Words and reputations = sales and word spreads fast on social media. But, say it in a nice way, of course. Most of their ukes have not had problems. But, three with the same problem is alarming considering the relatively low numbers made so far.

They look cool, but if you're going for a GO ANYWHERE uke, a wood fingerboard and bridge might be questionable. Personally, I went with a Carbon Outdoor Uke. No wood at all. Heck, I can paddle a boat with it. Sounds plenty good enough for the trail. Better than good enough, actually. A little like a resonator in timbre. $499 for a KLOS versus <$200...FOR THE TRAIL? One cannot overlook the steal factor. For the money I'll take 2 Outdoor Ukes in hi and lo. for less $. But WTH we want what we want.

Thread Information