Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Klos ukulele anyone? Feedback?

Yah, I think the neck and frets feel good, and the overall quality feels solid. The action just needs to be adjusted...

Quote Originally Posted by Martinlover View Post
    Received mine and am selling it. I bought it because all my friends were all doing it, and yes, I would jump off a bridge if they were doing that, too.
    Oh, how sweet of you! I must admit, we do have two nice groups.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

I had the slots filed down on the nut, and it plays WAY better. I’m thoroughly enjoying playing it now. #happycamper

I'm not exactly a Uke newbie, but I've never had a uke "set up" but feel that my Klos needs some professional attention. How can I find a place in S. California that can be relied upon to do that well? Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Solarbuddy View Post
    I'm not exactly a Uke newbie, but I've never had a uke "set up" but feel that my Klos needs some professional attention. How can I find a place in S. California that can be relied upon to do that well? Any recommendations?
    You should contact McCabe's in Santa Monica and see if they'll do it. I'd be shocked if they don't have a luthier.
    Martin C1K • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by Solarbuddy View Post

Solarbuddy, I recommend George Kaye (Kaye's Music Scene) 19369 Victory Blvd. Reseda CA 91335 (818)881-5566 I visited his amazing store today and we talked for a while. This guy is for real. There is another place in Downtown Los Angeles is U-Space Ukuleles. Jason Arimoto is the owner/operator. He has worked on all my ukuleles and is a wonderful uke artist. 244 San Pedro St, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (323)577-5567
    My pride and joy is a Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. I named it "Lumière"
    I also have a Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol which I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    And another soprano by Kanilea. The Islander AS-4 Acacia that I call "Little Bear"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele - no name yet

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    Solarbuddy, I recommend George Kaye (Kaye's Music Scene) 19369 Victory Blvd. Reseda CA 91335 (818)881-5566 I visited his amazing store today and we talked for a while. This guy is for real. There is another place in Downtown Los Angeles is U-Space Ukuleles. Jason Arimoto is the owner/operator. He has worked on all my ukuleles and is a wonderful uke artist. 244 San Pedro St, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (323)577-5567
    I'm sorry to see this new ukulele getting so much bad publicity. Mine was fine right out of the box, but maybe I'm nut as particular as some people. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again if something happened to mine. Three people in our group have them, and they always get compliments on the appearance and the sound.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Some of the nut issues have to do with the thick nylon strings that are used on the basic uke. In my conversation with KLOS, I was told that the nut slots are cut in a "V" shape to accommodate both the thicker nylon and thinner fluorocarbon strings. The problem with this is the thicker nylon strings sit higher in the nut (V shape) and make the uke more difficult to play; even when I swapped out the nylon with with fluorocarbon string it was better, but the nut slots needed some work to suit my preference.

A one size nut slot fits all approach doesn't make too much sense. Nor do the nylon strings to save a few bucks. It is a very good ukulele, it should have decent strings and be shipped with a playable setup that will allow for some additional lowering of the action. In my opinion strings set at 2.5mm at the 12th fret and a .2mm at the first fret (while fretting the string at the 3rd) is playable and still allows the strings to be brought down to 2.25mm or less (12th) and just touching the first fret (fretted 3rd).

John

Ok, so just received my Deluxe Acoustic Electric with Low G and stiffeners. OH BABY, It is beautiful!!!! It feels so good in my hands. It is a fabulous instrument. It weighs just a bit more than my Tiny Tenor. I just plugged it in and I am thoroughly impressed with the Fishman Kula. The setup is on the money. Action and intonation is great across the neck from top to bottom. So, they got the messages from you all. Ok, I agree it could use better strings. The more I play it I realize that C string is enormous. And booms a lot from the 7th to 9th fret. But, they are fairly decent. I'll leave that up to Jason Arimoto when I drop it off to him. The neck is thicker than my Tiny Tenor (thicker not wider) I'll have to get used to it.

Is the KLOS considered a long neck Tenor?

Anyway, without a strap, it feels out of balance with most of the weight towards the neck. But the wide grippy strap makes it feel balanced.

Time will tell if this become my favorite. It most certainly will be the one that travels with me. And the only electric that I currently have.
    My pride and joy is a Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. I named it "Lumière"
    I also have a Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol which I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    And another soprano by Kanilea. The Islander AS-4 Acacia that I call "Little Bear"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele - no name yet

The KLOS is a standard 17" tenor scale.

John

Thread Information