Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Klos ukulele anyone? Feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    Ok, so just received my Deluxe Acoustic Electric with Low G and stiffeners. OH BABY, It is beautiful!!!! It feels so good in my hands. It is a fabulous instrument. It weighs just a bit more than my Tiny Tenor. I just plugged it in and I am thoroughly impressed with the Fishman Kula. The setup is on the money. Action and intonation is great across the neck from top to bottom. So, they got the messages from you all.
    That's great to hear. Enjoy!

Having had my KLOS uke for a few days now. I really love it. It certainly is becoming my daily player. What I really like about the uke is I don't have to mess about with humidifiers and can toss it in the back of my car without heat worries. Plus it is electric (the only electric/acoustic I have) and that is a world of fun.

It is a different animal from my solid mahogany tiny tenor. So, it's not like I'll be selling the TT. It sounds and plays differently. At this point if I were to characterize it's personality I would say it is a great all around uke. Finger picking classical to strumming to shredding it can play soft and it can play loud. I doubt it will ever display the subtleness of my TT. I think that is just the character of Carbon Fibre. CF is categorized as an advanced plastic. I'm actually quite happily surprised it plays and sounds as good as it does. As the strings settle in and I adapt my playing style to get more out of it the fun will ensue. BTW, I did switch out the C string (D'addario fluorocarbon) with a Living Water fluorocarbon and it has helped.
    My pride and joy is a Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. I named it "Lumière"
    I also have a Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol which I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    And another soprano by Kanilea. The Islander AS-4 Acacia that I call "Little Bear"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele - no name yet

Hello everyone. I just received my Klos Deluxe Acoustic Electric ukulele with Low G. Beautiful looking, feels great, plays well up and down the neck. I would call the tone full but mellow. Sounds especially nice when plugged in to my Fishman Loudbox Mini amplifier. I'll be playing on some holiday gigs in Houston with the electric setup.

Question: Does anyone know what size batteries the Fishman Kula pickup system takes? The aftermarket version of the Kula sold by Fishman has a door/tray for a "button" battery that is accessible on a plate by the input jack. The version that Klos is installing has no plate with battery access by the jack. It looks to be custom developed based on the placement of the pre-amp controls and what appears to be the battery housing inside the body. No clue on what's inside there though.

I haven't messed with it yet, but since the instrument did not come with any instructions, I wonder what the recommended procedure to change out the battery might be? Maybe shove the strings aside... or loosen or take them off completely in order to gain access? It also would be nice to know how long the batteries are expected to last, seeing as the process does not appear to be very friendly.

Thanks to anyone who can help shed some light on this mystery.

Thanks for that link... but the pictures seem to illustrate the after market version with the battery door and jack in one housing (the third and fourth pictures show the jack and door clearly seen together.) I don't think that's the Klos setup. The "bag" inside the Klos ukulele may have something similar that holds two CR2032 batteries or even a different configuration... could it be that there is an unused jack also parked in there? I'm still not ready to start messing around and shove my big mitts inside the body to pull thinks apart not knowing what to expect. Still looking for a more definitive answer... I wrote an email to Klos hoping they can provide the facts... but of course if anyone here has already dug in please share...

I'm sure KLOS will get back to you. While you are waiting you could pick up a cheap inspection mirror from Harbor Freight and take a flashlight and have a look. It should be pretty to find the battery box.

John

The reply came from Adam at close:

Sorry for the late response. We actually have it in our pipeline to make a video for that. You have to reach in to grab the velcro bag, open the velcro cover, take out battery, replace it (normal 9V) and then velcro the bag shut again. The battery should last 100 hours of continuous use and is located just above the soundhole.

I wanted to post this because there is probably a perception that the KLOS is not a good instrument. After everything I have posted about my KLOS ukulele, I will say that it is one of my favorites and gets a lot of playing time. It is really fun to play. I am really amazed at how well it responds to fingerstyle attack and volume. It seems hard to imagine that for around $500 I can get a ukulele that is nearly impervious to the elements and still sounds really good. I never worry about leaving it in the car.

It may not rival a high end solid wood ukulele, but the sound is clear, balanced, and has a nice ring and sustain. I have mine tuned to B.

John

I made a cheapo cheapo productions video on changing the battery.

My pride and joy is a Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. I named it "Lumière"
    I also have a Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol which I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    And another soprano by Kanilea. The Islander AS-4 Acacia that I call "Little Bear"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele - no name yet

Thread Information