Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 68

Thread: Klos ukulele anyone? Feedback?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    West Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    One thing that bugged me was the chrome washers that sit under the hex bushings. Since the headstock is smaller than normal the washers look enormous; like 4 big buttons. I couldn't find any black metal washers that would fit, so I picked up some nylon washers at Ace Hardware. I used a dremel and a round file to get them to the right ID. I know it is personal taste, but I like the cleaner look.

    I am also not a fan of the plastic pearloid tuner buttons on this uke, so I used some chrome guitar buttons I had laying around. They might be a little big, and I may one day swap them out, but for me it gives a nice beefy look.

    Attachment 111704

    John
    Very cool. You've got me thinking about how to customize mine when it arrives!
    * * * * * * * * *
    My pride and joy is a Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. I named it "Lumière"
    I also have a Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol which I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    And another soprano by Kanilea. The Islander AS-4 Acacia that I call "Little Bear"
    Soon to arrive: KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele !!!

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    316

    Default

    From a couple of the videos I've seen I think the all black Graph Tech Ratio Tuners that were offered as an option look much better than the silver and white standard tuners, and I now wish I'd gone with them instead. But I still feel the $75 upcharge was a bit much, and the standard tuners work just fine. I also wonder if they would have changed out the G string tuner for a different ratio if you were going with low G instead of high G?



    Last edited by besley; 09-04-2018 at 06:30 AM.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    I saw there was a option, but never checked them out. Black looks really nice. But $75 for 4 sealed ukulele tuners for such a low string tension is too much for me. I might swap mine out for black one day. You can get black Grover or Gotoh 3R+3L for around $50. Used for less or a new no name set for $20.

    John

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    I saw there was a option, but never checked them out. Black looks really nice. But $75 for 4 sealed ukulele tuners for such a low string tension is too much for me. I might swap mine out for black one day. You can get black Grover or Gotoh 3R+3L for around $50. Used for less or a new no name set for $20.

    John
    The cheapest I could find were $60 delivered for three used tuners on Reverb. They look nice, but they're a bit pricey. I'll stick with the silver tuners, if my Klos ever arrives.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    The cheapest I could find were $60 delivered for three used tuners on Reverb. They look nice, but they're a bit pricey. I'll stick with the silver tuners, if my Klos ever arrives.
    If price is the major concern, go to eBay. No name new black 3R+3L from China for $10; obviously not going to be the smoothest operating but neither are the stock silver ones. New Gotohs Minis for around $40.

    John

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    If price is the major concern, go to eBay. No name new black 3R+3L from China for $10; obviously not going to be the smoothest operating but neither are the stock silver ones. New Gotohs Minis for around $40.

    John
    Thanks. I've never seen Gotohs priced that low. I've bought them from HMS for $59. I can live with the silver on the klos.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    So... the bridge slots on my KLOS are all the same length from the end of the bridge, not from the saddle. This reduces the break angle of the 2nd and 3rd strings. I can't tell if this was by design or for aesthetic purposes, but it has bugged me. I decided to see how deep the string recesses went into the bridge. They appear to all go to the same depth. I decided to take a couple of nut files and painstakingly lengthen the string slot length on the bridge. It is basically a 1/8" stroke of the file.

    Some days later I arrived closer to the 1st and 4th strings on the on the C string slot. I tested the string a couple of times and stopped a little short of making it the same depth, just in case there was some forethought on the original slot length resulting in too much tension. It does improve the volume, but maybe some care should be taken, or not, in cutting too much so that the increased angle (tension) causes a boom or choke the sound, hence the sneaking up on the slot length.

    Here is a comparison of the 3rd (C) string slot to the original slot length (Ref 2nd, E, string). FWIW... I did send the pic off to KLOS. But I cannot imagine anyone intentionally designed this from an engineering perspective.

    KLOS Bridge.jpg

    I also replaced the nut to widen the string spacing to the standard .375"/10mm. It is held on with CA (superglue) and comes off easily with a slight tap using a block of wood.

    John
    Last edited by 70sSanO; 09-17-2018 at 05:20 PM.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    I talked to Ian at KLOS today. They are in the process of evaluating and incorporating some of the things I sent off to them. They are changing the neck angle slightly so there will not be a high bridge/low saddle issue. They are looking into the narrow string spacing at the nut.

    They had rationale for the string slots based on piezo pickups in their guitars and from their ukulele testing there was no sound difference, but they may just make them the same distance from the saddle. I told them to do what they thought best, but since most of my ukes are tie and the saddle break angle is the same, I thought it was odd. They said it was typical of other slotted bridges. I can only recall the Kamaka slotted bridge, but I imagine there are others. We talked a little about strings. All-in-all a good discussion.

    I recommended he talk to others since everyone has personal preferences; which he is already doing.

    John

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    West Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    I talked to Ian at KLOS today. They are in the process of evaluating and incorporating some of the things I sent off to them. They are changing the neck angle slightly so there will not be a high bridge/low saddle issue. They are looking into the narrow string spacing at the nut.

    They had rationale for the string slots based on piezo pickups in their guitars and from their ukulele testing there was no sound difference, but they may just make them the same distance from the saddle. I told them to do what they thought best, but since most of my ukes are tie and the saddle break angle is the same, I thought it was odd. They said it was typical of other slotted bridges. I can only recall the Kamaka slotted bridge, but I imagine there are others. We talked a little about strings. All-in-all a good discussion.

    I recommended he talk to others since everyone has personal preferences; which he is already doing.

    John
    You're an awesome dude John!
    * * * * * * * * *
    My pride and joy is a Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. I named it "Lumière"
    I also have a Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol which I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    And another soprano by Kanilea. The Islander AS-4 Acacia that I call "Little Bear"
    Soon to arrive: KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele !!!

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Hey, hasn't anyone else received a Klos Uke lately? Seemed as if a few folks mentioned they were waiting, so I thought there would be more feedback by now. Are they doing a better job on the setup now?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •