How do I remove dried glue?

kitsunegarcia

Reaction score
So i bought an old Decca beater ukulele for the purpose of stringing it left-handed to be used for teaching. It sounds lovely, nothing wrong with the sound or how it plays. I can see that part of the body was repaired sloppily and has dried glue off the edges. How do I remove this glue without hurting the rest of the finish? Picture of dried glue image.jpg

It is difficult to say without knowing what kind glue it is. It looks like White wood glue, like Elmers or Titebond. You could try hot water on a rag in a small area to see if it softens. You could also try using a shape flat chisel and prying it off carefully. Heat might also work but if you use too much it could cause the sides and back to come apart. Whatever you try, the finish on a cheap uke could be damaged easily. Good luck.

So i bought an old Decca beater ukulele for the purpose of stringing it left-handed to be used for teaching. It sounds lovely, nothing wrong with the sound or how it plays. I can see that part of the body was repaired sloppily and has dried glue off the edges. How do I remove this glue without hurting the rest of the finish? Picture of dried glue View attachment 110892

Thank you for the suggestion! I tried regular water and it did not soften but i will try hot water next.

BlackBearUkes's answer is 100% correct.

Michael describes the effects of vinegar well, but doesn't (as does BlackBearUkes does) warn you of the potential damage you might do when using it. As you allow the vinegar to dissolve the glue on your finish, it will work its way into the glue joint.

Last edited:
might have to pop back in when my new to me regal arrives, had a bridge repair and while it holds well apparently the residual glue wipe is pretty ugly. Could be hard to do as it is painted. Will post some pics when it gets here.

So I haven't logged in for a bit! The hot water worked amazingly well! It looks like there was never glue there to begin with and wiped perfectly clean. wow!
I didn't get a chance to try the vinegar.

Thank you all!

And @Weebeastie Heck yeah post up your pics!

Top Bottom