NGD: Yamaha GL1 Guitalele

Camsuke

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Yamaha GL1 Guitalele for my granddaughter. At under $100 delivered they represent great value for money & real bang for bucks. The 17" scale length is a little bit cramped for an adult but should be well suited for youngsters to learn the basics on. I fitted some new Savarez 520 R strings, gave it an expedited setup and installed an LR Baggs Five.0 pickup, then decided to modified the bridge to a "string through" design & buffed & polished the fingerboard to make it nice and smooth :D It's now a great little instrument & lots of fun to play :D

Attachments

• DSCN1902.jpg
    DSCN1902.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN1906.jpg
    DSCN1906.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN1905.jpg
    DSCN1905.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN1901.jpg
    DSCN1901.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 39
Hi Cambell, it looks like we are all get guitaleles this week. I don't suppose you have the tabs for that tune handy do you? It would be a good one for me to get my head around the extra two strings (don't go out of your way, though. I feel bad because I've put your beautifully tabbed Westworld Theme on the back-burner for a while).

Thanks. I was watching the embedded video, so I missed that. This is exciting!

Great playing Campbell! I just ordered a Kinnard Kiku and bought a Cordoba Mini O CE to hold me over while I wait. I have it tuned in C and am thinking I will do the same with the Kiku. What tuning and strings did you use on your Kiku?

Mitch

Lucky granddaughter!

That's the thing with strong playing, you can make it all sound sooo good. Well done!

I fitted some new Savarez 520 R strings, gave it an expedited setup and installed an LR Baggs Five.0 pickup, then decided to modified the bridge to a "string through" design & buffed & polished the fingerboard to make it nice and smooth
Sweet! How much do you charge for that service, Campbell? :p

Nice!

I've subscribed your YouTube channel. Please keep posting the good stuffs.

I bought the Donner Guitalele, the strings it came with were poor so I swapped them out for a set of D'dario classical guitar strings, sounds lovely now, I paid £52 for it and I think £6 for the strings, it came with a plethora of freebies, a decent case, a cloth, a tuner and a few other bits and pieces, great buy
Also if you type Jim's Guitalele Songbook into Google there is a 2000+ songbook there already transposed for Guitalele, he has Ukulele, Guitar and Mando as well, all for education purposes of course

Last edited:
Soon you'll be building an instrument from scratch :) Excellent playing as always Campbell ~

Great playing in both videos!
I absolutely love the Yamaha GL-1 guitalele. The cramped fretboard takes some time getting used to, but then it's a piece of cake...almost..
The instrument is a pretty solid little beater, and I find it to be just great for blues playing, especially with those favourite Southcoast EFS strings...a treat, indeed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom