Finally wimped out

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I started out making ukulele with slotted headstocks in 1994... I have used at least 6 different methods to do this and the latest 'analogue' version took just 10 minutes to do all slotting and profiling prior to cutting by handt he string ramps.. However a comment Beau made inspired me to have a "me day" and see if I could do this only using my CNC.

When doing stuff like this you can exploit the matter of the head being able to travel at least 4 inches past the bed on the Y axis... Anyway here is a very crude and shaky video. I'll set the camera up properly tomorrow and do a walk through in real time.

Will still have to do the ramps by hand until my mate Des can help me program in the 4th axis so to speak... I haven't the software to model the 'sliced' cylinder that is produced by hand filing with rasps... It costs about £1000 and I don't have enough ukulele left in me to justify that capital expenditure :)

Pete - thanks for sharing the video and your thoughts here.

I started out making ukulele with slotted headstocks in 1994... I have used at least 6 different methods to do this and the latest 'analogue' version took just 10 minutes to do all slotting and profiling prior to cutting by handt he string ramps.. However a comment Beau made inspired me to have a "me day" and see if I could do this only using my CNC.

When doing stuff like this you can exploit the matter of the head being able to travel at least 4 inches past the bed on the Y axis... Anyway here is a very crude and shaky video. I'll set the camera up properly tomorrow and do a walk through in real time.

Will still have to do the ramps by hand until my mate Des can help me program in the 4th axis so to speak... I haven't the software to model the 'sliced' cylinder that is produced by hand filing with rasps... It costs about £1000 and I don't have enough ukulele left in me to justify that capital expenditure :)

Pete "Solidworks" is the software you need ... Only 3 axis needed to do those ramps. pirate versions are available on the web for free. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNuq0ssQsM0

Last edited:
Top Bottom