Special Needs Student questions

surfink

Reaction score
I have been contacted by a woman whose daughter is interested in playing the ukulele. She is left handed and has had nerve and muscle damage in her left arm. Apparently the strum motion and a hand position to strum are an issue with her. I have not met the young girl yet and her mother is going to send me a video showing the motion she is able to do..
If anyone else has dealt with similar type challenges please contact me or post here..

Thanks in advance,
Casey Morgan

There is a woman who develops systems for letting people with all sorts of handicaps play the ukulele. I've seen her at a couple of uke events. I'll see if I can find the info.

EDIT: Email Mike. He runs the Allegheny Ukulele Soiree, so he should know.

AlleghenyUkes@gmail.com

Last edited:
I’m not an expert in the field, but I have had a number of students with various levels of physical disabilities come through my program. I also have a few kids that break arms or fingers during the school year—which becomes a challenge for playing, too.

It is hard to know what might work without seeing the issue...but Ukulele Kids Club posted a video with Wesson, who is able to play thanks to a prosthetic pick holder.

I would also direct them to Autumn Best—I’m not quite sure how old she is—who was born without fingers on her left hand...so she just flips her ukulele over and plays that way.

Again, not knowing the details of the situation, these videos just go to show that where there is a will to do something, there is often a way to make it happen. If the person hasn’t seen these videos, maybe they can be shared to give them hope and inspiration, too.

These are some truly awesome & inspiring videos. Thanks Choirguy

I’m not an expert in the field, but I have had a number of students with various levels of physical disabilities come through my program. I also have a few kids that break arms or fingers during the school year—which becomes a challenge for playing, too.

It is hard to know what might work without seeing the issue...but Ukulele Kids Club posted a video with Wesson, who is able to play thanks to a prosthetic pick holder.

I would also direct them to Autumn Best—I’m not quite sure how old she is—who was born without fingers on her left hand...so she just flips her ukulele over and plays that way.

Again, not knowing the details of the situation, these videos just go to show that where there is a will to do something, there is often a way to make it happen. If the person hasn’t seen these videos, maybe they can be shared to give them hope and inspiration, too.

Remarkable and quite inspiring. Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom