Season 338: Willie

Thank you for a wonderful week, Linda. You may be surprised to hear me say that, as I’m not a big fan of WN. But I have learned an important musical lesson here, which can probably be applied to other areas of my life too. Basically, I’ve allowed my musical tastes and listening to narrow over the years in a way that can best be summed up by the phrase: “I know what I like and I like what I know!”
I could very easily have given it up as a bad job at the start of the week and gone off to do my own thing until Sunday. But with your understanding and encouragement, along with other kind and helpful seasonistas, I was persuaded to stick with it. And I’m so glad I did - not because my opinion of WN’s own music has changed significantly, but he did open his mind and his heart to other genres, which in turn allowed me to participate in a way I never expected to be able to this week. For example I never expected to be playing a Coldplay song in Willie Nelson week! And I loved doing it!
So I too need to open my mind and my heart to new things if I’m going to progress - both as a “musician” and as a human being. Starting here and now! It’s a lesson that’s long overdue for me!
Thank you again! :cool:

Greetings,

Sorry I missed this wonderful week. Had to take a short break for family reasons, but will be back.

Ciao,
Gina

A great season, Linda ... I've enjoyed a lot of Willie songs and covers, and learnt from you all sorts of facts about him that I didn't know. Thank you!

Thank you so so much, Val, for giving the theme and music a chance and your kind thoughts here. I loved each and every one of your performances. :)

Thank you for a wonderful week, Linda. You may be surprised to hear me say that, as I’m not a big fan of WN. But I have learned an important musical lesson here, which can probably be applied to other areas of my life too. Basically, I’ve allowed my musical tastes and listening to narrow over the years in a way that can best be summed up by the phrase: “I know what I like and I like what I know!”
I could very easily have given it up as a bad job at the start of the week and gone off to do my own thing until Sunday. But with your understanding and encouragement, along with other kind and helpful seasonistas, I was persuaded to stick with it. And I’m so glad I did - not because my opinion of WN’s own music has changed significantly, but he did open his mind and his heart to other genres, which in turn allowed me to participate in a way I never expected to be able to this week. For example I never expected to be playing a Coldplay song in Willie Nelson week! And I loved doing it!
So I too need to open my mind and my heart to new things if I’m going to progress - both as a “musician” and as a human being. Starting here and now! It’s a lesson that’s long overdue for me!
Thank you again! :cool:

Del, I can't thank you enough for your kind thoughts here and the way you have shared what this Season has given you. I, too, have found myself learning important lessons through my own participation. Before the Seasons, I participated in no social media and I had not sung in public since I was a kid - and trust me, back then public meant in front of some people I knew. The Seasons taught me much and I'm grateful for each and every lesson that has helped me to see myself not in terms of who I am, but rather in terms of who I can be. It's a long road with ever-shifting views and shadows. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Thank you very much, Del!

Great wrap Linda - how do I follow that?
Well done to the ‘top 10’ - brilliant stuff!
And Bruce - you’re probably in for a treat - Linda does the best and most thoughtful gifts! :cool:

Big huge hug right back Linda.
Thank you for your truly wonderful hosting style, thoughtful comments and terrific wraps.
And I join you in in thanking all the seasonistas who bring and share their music every week.
One of things I admire about Willie is that he still has Trigger. Shows an admirable trait imho.

Special thanks, Del, Brian, Trent and Lynda - I'm just so happy that each of you enjoyed making music this week and I greatly appreciate your kind thoughts on the Wrap!

And, Del,don't worry one bit about your Wrap!!! You'll wow us all; I'm sure of it! :)

Linda, I find it slightly ironic that a girl on Long Island sponsors a Season of the Ukulele based on Willie Nelson, my fellow Texan, and that TAKE THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD impresses you as a Willie Nelson-type song. I admire everyone you mentioned in this wrap, and I'm coming around to listen to everyone I missed. Willie Nelson worked as an encyclopedia salesman in my hometown of Fort Worth before he finally broke thru in the music business, and he sometimes had his annual Fourth of July Picnic here at Billy Bob's Texas, billed as the world's biggest honkytonk. I have a New York connection. I was stationed at Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn for almost a year during the Vietnam War. Nope, I did not go to Vietnam. Linda, I humbled and happy that you have mentioned me, and I'm very proud to be among such good friends and fellow lovers of the ukulele. Peace and Blessings to you and everyone in this SOTU.
BRUCE

Last edited:
Linda, I find it slightly ironic that a girl on Long Island sponsors a Season of the Ukulele based on Willie Nelson, my fellow Texan, and that TAKE THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD impresses you as a Willie Nelson-type song. I admire everyone you mentioned in this wrap, and I'm coming around to listen to everyone I missed. Willie Nelson worked as an encyclopedia salesman in this city before he finally broke thru in the music business, and he sometimes had his annual Fourth of July Picnic here at Billy Bob's Texas, billed as the world's biggest honkytonk. I have a New York connection. I was stationed at Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn for almost a year during the Vietnam War. Nope, I did not go to Vietnam. Linda, I humbled and happy that you have mentioned me, and I'm very proud to be among such good friends and fellow lovers of the ukulele. Peace and Blessings to you and everyone in this SOTU.
BRUCE

Bruce, thank you so much for your kind thoughts here.

The one thing that the Season does for sure is make the miles between us disappear. And so, we celebrate Willie Nelson with a song about the LIRR. It all works for me! :) (Now go on and edit that post of yours to delete your address specifics; I've got them now. :) )

Thank you very much, Bruce, for your presence in the Season - a Season of terrific songs by terrific musicians. :)

Last edited:
Today is the first time I've come around to see whats happening on the threads. I only have but a minute. It's 5:30 pm and I haven't had a second to eat today or look in the mirror! Scary, I know!

What a fabulous wrap-up Linda. I was listening intently with the laptop held to my ear and believe me when I say I was shocked when you said my name. I completely forgot the song I did. It was as if I did it last year or something. BRAIN OVERLOAD!!!! Just so darn busy. I'm so glad you liked what I brought to the Willie week. He is terrific and I was so happy to have this theme finally come along. I feel very flattered and honored to be mentioned. Thank you so very very much!

And here is my HUGE HUG right back!

Today is the first time I've come around to see whats happening on the threads. I only have but a minute. It's 5:30 pm and I haven't had a second to eat today or look in the mirror! Scary, I know!

What a fabulous wrap-up Linda. I was listening intently with the laptop held to my ear and believe me when I say I was shocked when you said my name. I completely forgot the song I did. It was as if I did it last year or something. BRAIN OVERLOAD!!!! Just so darn busy. I'm so glad you liked what I brought to the Willie week. He is terrific and I was so happy to have this theme finally come along. I feel very flattered and honored to be mentioned. Thank you so very very much!

And here is my HUGE HUG right back!

Linda, I'm so happy that you grabbed a few minutes for a listen to the Wrap. :) Congratulations again on your terrific contributions to our week. Go listen and watch that vid of yours again - it's really brilliant, Linda. I'm honored and humbled that you brought it to the Season! Thank you for that and your kind thoughts here! Linda :)

Yes Linda, it was a fun Season, thanks for hosting it so well. It was fun learning a couple of new songs. If you'd asked me 18 months ago when I started on uke, I never would have thought I'd be playing and singing Willie Nelson tunes!

Top Bottom