Season 338: Willie

turtledrum

Reaction score
Season 338: Willie

Welcome to Season 338 and a - ‘bout time, let’s do it up right – celebration of Willie Nelson! Time to celebrate all the songs we’ve loved before and get back on the road again.

This Season will run from (Hawaiian time) 12 a.m. Sunday, August 5th, until midnight Sunday, August 12th.

The Challenge: Please celebrate Willie Nelson’s iconic role in contemporary music by bringing songs that include:

Songs Willie has covered solo. (Don’t forget all those American Songbook tunes! Check out his Stardust, Over The Rainbow, and Gershwin albums.)

Songs Willie has written. (You can go “Crazy” in this category for sure!)

Songs that were Willie’s collaborations. (Waylon, Merle, Cash, Norah Jones, Sheryl Crow, Cyndi Lauper, etc. Don’t forget those family collabs with his sister Bobbie, and sons Lukas and Micah.)

Instrumentals that featured Willie’s guitar, Trigger. (Check out that Spirit album. “Matador” is my favorite instrumental on that one!)

Songs by artists who, like Willie, hold a singular place in the hearts of another country’s listeners. (Smoky Dawson songs would be oh so welcome, as an example.)

Songs about subjects dear to Willie’s heart (the road, saying goodbye, falling in love, etc.)

Original songs (no restrictions – exactly the way Willie would want it!)

***** And so, please not only bring us his songs, but also bring us his spirit – in whatever songs or performers you find it. It would be greatly appreciated if you could tell us a bit about why you’ve chosen songs you’ve chosen – especially if they are by other artists.

Originals – Yes! No restrictions – exactly the way Willie would want it!)

Parameters – Two posts per day per person please. **Final Sunday (August 12th) – unlimited entries!

If you’ve sung a Willie song before and want to sing it again, go ahead! But please only post songs newly recorded this week. (Please do not repost old videos.)

Please let others know that their participation is valued via your listening and comments.

My comments will be placed on the Tube. Thank you! Linda ☺

Reminder: Dave’s Season 337 welcomes you for dessert until midnight Sunday (Hawaiian time)!

PLAYLIST:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGoYd7qUIo5b3I9HAfgAeqhRnT-5IJKnM

Last edited:
Excellent, Linda! (I really like some of Willie's stuff ... I had no idea until recently how prolific he was/is.)

Yay! Great theme!

This will be my interesting. I know so little of Willie Nelson’s stuff, other than the really well known songs, it will be fun “discovering” him. I am familiar, of course, with his beautifully battered guitar, I saw a video of Willie’s guitar tech talking about some of the repairs that have had to be done over the years. Trigger you say it’s called? Wonderful name for a guitar.

A really big smile just washed over my face. Going to be fun bringing some of these around this week!

It'a a YES from me.A wonderful scope available - beautifully outlined by Linda.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I've been waiting for this theme for so long. He is one of the most prolific artists. For those of you that don't know Willie, do some digging. you will find something that will surprise you every time. One day I was so intrigued watching this video of him and his family that I had to buy the disk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA21fkcUKh4&frags=pl,wn

Hoping to get more than one done Linda.

Fantastic theme Linda! Thanks for hosting again!

When I think of Willie there are so many classic songs that come to mind. One of the simplest songs he ever wrote, seems to sum up his love for what he has been doing most of his life. I had been wanting to learn this one and so this season provided the perfect stimulation to do so. "On the Road Again"

Ha Wee Rob! Willie does Hoagy again."The Nearness of You". from the American Classics album.

An original.Inspired by a poem of the same name by Rita Dove.The poem revolved around the metaphor of a fossil.Hence the title "The Fish in Stone".Thanks Linda for the unrestricted original hall pass.Maybe it's not so far from some of Willie's Red Stranger type songs.

Here he lies that fish in stone
Convicted now to lay alone
tired of the analysis
Too close to the bone
Profiled , well lit under white light dome

Do you wonder where lost love goes
To the bottom of the ocean for all I know
maybe it’s in a blood red rose
Or just a thorn that comes and goes

Rain on Rita, rain on down
Erase erode evolve me
From the burying ground

Cool heads and cooler hearts
Combined together to keep them apart
He’s inside out , she’s outside in
Whose got the first stone
Whose got the first sin?

Do you wonder where lost love goes
That icy wind snapping at your clothes
Sometimes I smell it from my head down to my toes

Erase erode evolve me
From the burying ground

Cradle rocks and baby sings
Fallen angel hands in his wings
Takes the walk like everyman
That’s loved and lost as best he can

And he wonders where lost love goes
Not in God’s heaven maybe down below
The abandoned field where nothing grows

Erase erode evolve me
From this burying ground

Erase erode evolve me
From this burying ground

great theme! i picked this song a. because i wanted to start the week by looking at his own original songs, and b. because it's bluesy, and i really seem to be liking bluesy songs right now!

"rainy day blues"

an original song for the week.
thank you Linda for hosting - you've barely had time to draw breath!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I've been waiting for this theme for so long. He is one of the most prolific artists. For those of you that don't know Willie, do some digging. you will find something that will surprise you every time. One day I was so intrigued watching this video of him and his family that I had to buy the disk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA21fkcUKh4&frags=pl,wn

Hoping to get more than one done Linda.
i like those family rules!!!!!!!!!

Good morning from Long Island which will be under a heat alert through tomorrow, with the heat index putting us well, well into the upper 90Fs. (I know some of us are in the midst of winter, but the rest of it? It's been a long, HOT summer. Today special thoughts are with those impacted by the devastating fires in California and those in southern Europe facing high, high temps.)

But here, it's Willie time. I simply cannot thank everyone enough for your wonderful thoughts on the theme and all the possibilities it brings for the week. (Swoon away, Randy! Smile away, Dave! And yes, BDU, I'll take that hug! :) And thank you, Linda, for that Tube link, which I'm sure a number of folks will greatly enjoy.)

Special thanks to those who have already posted their songs. Each and every one is EXACTLY what I was hoping for: songs that celebrate that place where Willie's spirit touches your love of music and own personal preferences. I couldn't have been happier than when I woke to seeing these posts!

Ok, if anyone is not that familiar with Trigger, Willie's iconic guitar, and the stories associated with how it got to be Trigger,
here's a fab article from Texas Monthly that tells the tale: https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/trigger/

There's also an interview that Rolling Stone did with Willie. In just under 12 minutes, Willie will tell you himself about a drunk and a fire and how he rode Trigger all the way to Austin and into the hearts of millions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6IB0trJoJU . Please go hear Trigger in all its glory. Sooooo worth the listen!!!!

Thank you all! Gotta leave you now to what you do best ......."making music with my friends." Have a great day! Linda :)

Top Bottom