Season 338: Willie

For a previous season, I had already brought On the Road again as an instrumental ballad.
Now I re-recorded it with my tenor ukulele capoed on the second fret and had a friend do the vocals.

Here's a duet David Allan Coe and Willie Nelson had out as a single in 1986, peaking at #56 on the country charts. It might have been too blatant of a cheating song even for country music! Funny story I heard about this one was a few days after they recorded it, DAC asked Willie if he'd told his wife about this song yet, and Willie said no, and asked DAC if he'd told his wife yet about it, and DAC said no. LOL I love to picture these two hard boiled, grizzled dudes being in no hurry to explain where this song came from to their respective wives...

Here's a duet David Allan Coe and Willie Nelson had out as a single in 1986, peaking at #56 on the country charts. It might have been too blatant of a cheating song even for country music! Funny story I heard about this one was a few days after they recorded it, DAC asked Willie if he'd told his wife about this song yet, and Willie said no, and asked DAC if he'd told his wife yet about it, and DAC said no. LOL I love to picture these two hard boiled, grizzled dudes being in no hurry to explain where this song came from to their respective wives...

So, Trent, does YOUR wife know what YOU picked to sing out of the THOUSANDS of Willie songs to sing? Jes' wonderin'. ;)

So, Trent, does YOUR wife know what YOU picked to sing out of the THOUSANDS of Willie songs to sing? Jes' wonderin'. ;)

Oh yeah, she knows, and she heard it! She asked me when I told her of the DAC and Willie duet, "It's not a cheating song is it"?? I said...Uhhhh yeah in fact it is, and then I told her the title.....She rolled her eyes and shook her head, can't figure out why......

I was wondering what to do for a second. I had a look at On the Road Again but it's going to need more work, so I've shelved it for now. I found that Willie recorded Heartbreak Hotel with Leon Russell in 1979 so I went for that. My version owes more to Elvis than Willie Nelson but that's because how I remember it. Willies version was more up tempo than Elvis's but I like the slower tempo. My ADF#B tuned Brüko soprano seemed just right for this. The instrumental break is bit hammy, not my strength I'm afraid.
My wife and I had a day out in Pickering, a small market town across the other side of the moors yesterday. I took my camera with me and took some piccys while she was investigating the local charity shops.

I did this one before, a few months ago, so to make it different I added a little multi-tracking. Besides that, I really like this song.

i was thoroughly enjoying having a catch up of listening to more of the great songs people are bringing this week... but it's hard to listen to uke-ing without getting the urge to bring a song yourself too! so i paused to have a little plink... and this homemade-y song came together...

"the sky was blue above"

Willie covered this Ned Sublette song to advocate for LGBT rights. Good old Willie.

Hi Linda, here is an original.
A grain of sand fell in love with a lonely snowflake.

Here's a fun song with a very familiar melody written by Kris Kristofferson, and performed by Willie and Waylon. This was my first take. I heard a band do this one years ago and got a kick out of it.

I never realised until recently that Willie Nelson was a) a very accomplished guitar player and b) a big fan of Django Reinhardt. I am also a big fan of Reinhardt. He has recorded, and played live, this timeless Django tune. This is a simple finger picked arrangement. Not loads of high octane improvised choruses as that is beyond me, and in any case, can become a bit self indulgent if you ask me.

A Willie Nelson original, this was initially on his album Both Sides Now but given a slightly more upbeat treatment a few years later for the album Phases and Stages, which is the version I heard first and thought, I’ll have a go at that. Having listened to the first version off a Both Sides Now, I much prefer that one. Probably my last for this season but I have really enjoyed listening to everyone’s interpretations of Willie songs, Willie covers and spirit of Willie songs.

Welcome to Day 6 of Willie's Season! More stunning performances than a host has a right to, imho. I've loved the diversity of performances - both the instrumentals and those with vocals. All are a testament to our enjoyment of seeing where we find ourselves in the songs we hold to the light. It doesn't get better than this.

Ok - I've had to rethink things here. With Season 338 winding down, I feel that I can alter things a bit for our Saturday and Sunday. Let's do unlimited brings for both days, ok? I've just got to do it. Couldn't bear someone out there not bringing something that had to be brought. Deal? ;)

Today's share: Have you ever heard the song "No Mas Amor"? It's a must. Willie and Alison Krauss in this duet? Solid gold.
I promise - here's a song that can haunt with the best of them and some Willie fretwork that comes straight from the heart.
And oh, those vocals!

I hope you enjoy it and have a beautiful day today! Thank you for the honor of being your host. Linda :)

I never thought Willie would cover this, but he did it anyway (although it seems to be only the chorus ;)). Here is my take on Smells like Teen Spirit.

SOTU 338: "Willie" - He Was A Friend Of Mine

The earliest recorded version of this song is thought to be a version entitled, "Shorty George" from 1939. Willie's cover of "He Was A Friend Of Mine" was used in the 2005 film, "Brokeback Mountain," and did an excellent job of echoing and summarizing the movie's emotional impact, IMO.

My go at it mostly follows lyrics similar to Willie's, but is also a blend from some other versions which I admire (e.g. The Goldebriars cover).

Why did I whistle for the instrumental break, you ask?

Evelyn is out of town at the moment! Otherwise, there would have been a harmonica solo there! :)

Last edited:
Here is another from Red Headed Stranger. This is the next-to-last cut on side two, wherein we find the preacher has finally found some redemption in the end.

Top Bottom