Season 338: Willie

Okay guys, I have a confession. I fear I may incur the wrath of each and every one of you, including our delightful host - but I really need to get it off my chest. Please don’t hate me - here we go - but I’m not a fan of Willie Nelson. There - I’ve said it. I won’t go into details for fear of causing even more offence - suffice to say that as a consequence I’m really struggling this week. So I was mightily relieved to see that he’d covered this lovely song, which I originally did for my first season (which was Keith’s season 328 - ‘3 Favourite Songs’), and I’ve updated tonight. You’ll all be pleased to know that I plan to spend the rest of the evening seeking penitence for my Willie-related sin! Oh dear - that sounds so wrong!:eek: :D

No apologies needed Del. As Sly and the Family Stone once said, different strokes for different folks, and so on and so on.

And kudos for playing one anyway. One of the nice things about The Seasons is occasionally forcing yourself to play something you might not otherwise.

Blue Skies by Irving Berlin. Willie recorded this on his album, Stardust, in 1978.

Blue Skies by Irving Berlin. Willie recorded this on his album, Stardust, in 1978.

Nelson's 1978 album of pop standards, Stardust, remained on the country album chart for 540 weeks -- that's 10 consecutive years.

As PhillyV has just shown us this is the album to look at if you are having a hard time with willie.

On the album he covered -

1. Stardust
2. Georgia On My Mind
3. Blue Skies
4. All of Me
5. Unchained Melody
6. September Song
7. On the Sunny Side of the Street
8. Moonlight In Vermont
9. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
10. Someone to Watch Over Me
11. Scarlet Ribbons
12. I Can See Clearly Now

And, the first song that Willie ever learned was Amazing Grace. He has covered a gazillion gospel songs.
I put in "covers of Willie Nelson" and quickly found him singing -

Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah
John Lennon - Imagine
Pearl Jam - Just Breathe
Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Kenny Rogers - Just Dropped In
Coldplay - The Scientist
Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
Neil Young - Heart Of Gold
Bob Dylan - Don't Think Twice, Its Alright
Etc.

I really think there is a wide variety of music to find.

Last edited:
Willie's recorded so many beautiful standards, including this 1930 gem.

I love this song, and consider Red Headed Stranger to be Willie Nelson's best album. I thought this might be an interesting candidate to attempt on the Dulcimer, you decide if you think it worked or not.

An original song for your season Linda. Why, because I tried Always On My Mind and failed miserably, at least no one can compare this with any other versions :) It's simple, short and repetitive, sorry about that but I only had an hour or so to spare this morning.

You can’t go wrong with a cover of Crazy.

I made my goal of 69 subscribers last night, and because I’m going on a quick road trip I will be doing less promo this week. I would be right chuffed if you subscribed to my new YouTube channel, though!

All right, wish me luck for the one thing I have to do today. There might even be a Willie Nelson-inspired song about it on Thursday...

This is another song Willie "covered", the " are because it was written by Daniel Lanois and it is on a record which he produced for Willie (and played guitar and bass on).

Wow - you guys are the best! There I was, expecting to be hung from the nearest lamppost for my less than positive opinion of Mr Nelson - I should have known better! Thank you all for your kind and positive messages - and especially to the Lindas for your song suggestions. I'm sure I'll now be able to find at least a couple of his covers to try later in the week.

Thank you all again! :)

Wow - you guys are the best! There I was, expecting to be hung from the nearest lamppost for my less than positive opinion of Mr Nelson - I should have known better! Thank you all for your kind and positive messages - and especially to the Lindas for your song suggestions. I'm sure I'll now be able to find at least a couple of his covers to try later in the week.

Thank you all again! :)

Many thanks, Del! Bring 'em on! :)

Good morning from Seasons country where the coffee is hot, the listening is good and the ukes are all saddled up and ready to ride! :)

Thank you to everyone for the FANTASTIC music that's been brought so far. From here, the views are all big and beautiful!

Two things to share this morning:

For anyone new to Willie, you may find his "troubles" with the IRS to be interesting! Yep - big debt for big back taxes. But it's a heartwarming story about how his friends and families had his back and how Trigger survived being confiscated. Here's a bit of it:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/flashback-willie-nelson-settles-irs-tax-debt-196254/

And the next - Willie has done some iconic covers as duets with other performers. I've been in love with the ones he's does with Leon Russell. Here are links to two that I just love with wishes for a great Day 3 of Willie's Season. Linda :)

"Detour" - http://https://youtu.be/thNGDHli2Ao?list=PLBF4klKgK2WSQlr12Zw90ARCa8TQWxYfz

"Let The Rest Of The World Go By" - https://youtu.be/gqgk9vcXgJc?list=PLBF4klKgK2WSQlr12Zw90ARCa8TQWxYfz

Last edited:
Silly me. I put this on the wrong season. I'd been checking 337 while waiting for it to upload.
This comes from an early Willie Nelson Album "Country Favourites Willie Nelson Style". I remember it as a hit for Guy Mitchell.

I have some catching up to do - back from a weekend away, and I haven't even looked to see if this one has turned up yet. I am pretty sure someone here did it last year. Anyway, I love the simplicity of it.

You know how I like doing songs nobody has ever heard before Linda...David Allan Coe has had a hero worship thing going for Willie Nelson his entire career, and who can blame him? They've done several collaborations together, which Coe highly cherishes. Here's a song they wrote together, performed by Coe. I may do at least one more of their collaborations this week. A bar I hung out at in the 80's, one day this song plays on the jukebox, and I knew it was DAC immediately, but had never heard the song, I played it some more, and then others there started playing it, so it got played a lot. It was never on an album, just a B side of a 45, and I couldn't find that 45 to save my life. One day I go in there and the guy that owned the place hands me the 45, and says here, I thought you'd want this. The jukebox operator had been in there changing out records, and the owner asked him to put it aside for me. To say I was surprised and happy would be an understatement! So it was fun to finally try to perform now it after all this time.

Nelson's 1978 album of pop standards, Stardust, remained on the country album chart for 540 weeks -- that's 10 consecutive years.

Thanks for those tips, Linda! Willie also has a Gershwin album that would interest those who like standards. In addition, the anniversary edition of Stardust has an extra cd full of other standards recorded by Willie.

Lots to pick from for sure. :)

Yet another great theme idea, we're really on a roll lately!

Having a serious squeeze on time this week but I did sketch out an original over the weekend*, inspired by a couple of friends I caught up with on Friday.

*(usually I let songs settle in a bit longer as they tend to change a lot over time, so kind of early version I guess but what the hey, wanted to bring something to the season :eek: )

Sparky

I have some catching up to do - back from a weekend away, and I haven't even looked to see if this one has turned up yet. I am pretty sure someone here did it last year. Anyway, I love the simplicity of it.

Me, back in Season 323. Unlisted though - I got wrist slapped for wearing logo-ed apparel (even though that hoodie is supposed to be for personal wear, and this is personal right? :eek:ld:).

Anyway, great version all your own Steve. I continue to be awed by your consistently impressive playing day in and day out.

Top Bottom