Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gone Fishin' Fluorocarbon Strings ?

Default Gone Fishin' Fluorocarbon Strings ?

With the unfortunate passing of Dirk and Southcoast Strings, some have asked about alternatives. I may have found one, but I can't find any reviews.
    https://www.bytowninstruments.com/pr...kulele-strings

Just from the gauges, the standard offerings are almost identical to those provided by Living Water. I really have to question some of the less common offerings though - how can the same 0.91mm work as low G tenor and low D guitalele for example.

The other unique thing here is the option to order "by the inch" in any of the 9 string gauges. If the strings are good, this would provide for a lot of experimentation with tunings and tensions. So we might be able to find formulas similar to what Dirk found.

Anybody tried these?

The other unknown here is whether they ship to U.S. as they are in Canada. If there is someone in the U.S. doing something similar, I haven't found it.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Sorry to hear about Dirk, never used Southcoast Strings, but fluorocarbon comes in many different formulas and densities, so you can't just compare any gauge to another.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe | Kala Acacia - Pahoehoe

Thanks for that Jim. They are Canadian so I have dealt with them and I played with a bunch of them at a local Uke Festival.

FWIW Strings by Mail carries a large selection of individual floro strings in a wide array of diameters from both Savarez and Pyramid. They can be found in the classical guitar string category.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I have them on my Koaloha Super Concert. They work great and have less tension than Oasis strings.

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    fluorocarbon comes in many different formulas and densities, so you can't just compare any gauge to another.
    I'm aware of that. I just found it interesting that both this site and LW list their gauges and for all the normal 4 strings sets, they happen to be the same - except for the unwound low D baritone is slightly different. I think there were a couple of gauges on the Bytown site not listed in the normal LW sets, though Ken may use a few others for custom sets.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Thanks for that Jim. They are Canadian so I have dealt with them and I played with a bunch of them at a local Uke Festival.
    I got an email back from Mark Rogers at Bytown and they do ship to the US, so I'll probably have to give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    FWIW Strings by Mail carries a large selection of individual floro strings in a wide array of diameters from both Savarez and Pyramid. They can be found in the classical guitar string category.
    Ooh, did not know that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dparis007 View Post
    I have them on my Koaloha Super Concert. They work great and have less tension than Oasis strings.
    Good to know!
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

I just came across them though unfortunately I am all strung up well at the moment. But if anyone else can report on them, in particular the Low-G and 6-string sets, then please share your experience.

He mentions Seaguar on his website, but doesn't say if these strings are Seaguar.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    - how can the same 0.91mm work as low G tenor and low D guitalele for example.
    I read it that low G tenor is the same as Low A guitalele (Tenor scale), just one step up. Low D guitalele matches on baritone scale.

Thanks for pointing us to these. I like my fluoro.
    Glenn

You will find Mark is a great guy to deal with. I met him a couple of years ago when I started building ukuleles. I needed some parts and he invited me to his home in Ottawa to look at his stock. I have not bough strings from him as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post

Just from the gauges, the standard offerings are almost identical to those provided by Living Water. I really have to question some of the less common offerings though - how can the same 0.91mm work as low G tenor and low D guitalele for example.

I just noticed the G6 Baritone strings appear to be mislabeled GCEA instead of DGBE
    Glenn

Thread Information