Musician??

DIctionary (Collins) "A musician is a person who plays a musical instrument as their job or hobby"

If you want an objective definition, that's about the best possible (though tough on singers!). Everything else talked of here has some element of quality/competence assessment in it, and there's no objective test for that.

If you want to bring quality/competence in, then I suggest that when people you recognise as musicians call you a musician, that's when you're one!

One has to make at least $30,000 a year playing ukulele concerts and be right handed to be a true musician. Wearing a grass skirt and a flowered shirt will also help to identify one. Females can also be ukulele musicians if they have long hair—black preferred.

So say the ones who know . . . :eek:ld:

Last edited:
One has to make at least $30,000 a year playing ukulele concerts and be right handed to be a true musician. Wearing a grass skirt and a flowered shirt will also help to identify one. Females can also be ukulele muicians if they have long hair—black preferred.

So say the ones who know . . . :eek:ld:
I don't think that you are taking this seriously Dick.

If you play ukulele, you are a musician.

Whether you are a good musician is a separate question. You can't answer it. Your role is to make music, honestly and with all your heart; let others decide whether they want to listen. (hint: do not lock the exits)

I hate it when people sell themselves short. Too many people think they need somebody's permission before they can consider themselves musicians (or artists, or writers, or...) There is no licensing exam. Making music is a natural human activity. It's our birthright as Homo sapiens. Everybody gets to make music. At whatever skill level they currently possess. And everybody has the potential to advance their skills if they put in the time and effort.

The only requirement is that you DO it instead of wishing you had the guts to try.

It's amazing how much progress people make once they stop apologizing for themselves and admit that they ARE musicians. Own it.

Whether you are a good musician is a separate question. You can't answer it. Your role is to make music, honestly and with all your heart; let others decide whether they want to listen. (hint: do not lock the exits)

I hate it when people sell themselves short. Too many people think they need somebody's permission before they can consider themselves musicians (or artists, or writers, or...) There is no licensing exam. Making music is a natural human activity. It's our birthright as Homo sapiens. Everybody gets to make music. At whatever skill level they currently possess. And everybody has the potential to advance their skills if they put in the time and effort.

The only requirement is that you DO it instead of wishing you had the guts to try.

It's amazing how much progress people make once they stop apologizing for themselves and admit that they ARE musicians. Own it.

Right on, Acmespaceship! :eek:ld:

I hate it when people sell themselves short. It's amazing how much progress people make once they stop apologizing for themselves and admit that they ARE musicians. Own it.

I love the above quote from acmespaceship - and I’ve really enjoyed this thread.

In my humble view it basically all ties in with my (rather lengthy thread) ‘It’s all about enjoyment. Innit?’

Let’s just all get on with enjoying the music and what we do, rather than focusing on which label anybody, or even ourselves, should affix to us.

Too many people think they need somebody's permission before they can consider themselves musicians (or artists, or writers, or...).

The only permission you need is your own. I agree, own it. Press the strings and play!

(ymmv, I know mine does, but don't let that slow you down)

I know I said I'd shut up, but this (along with "Opera is controlled screaming") made me think of

The Definition of a String Quartet: A good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists... all getting together to argue about composers.

;)

bratsche

For me the term musician is INCLUSIVE rather than the opposite. However, it is often used to disqualify beginners and that aspect is something that I truly despise.

We are all musicians
, whether we pursue that potential as a career or not is despite the point of enjoying playing or performing music.

Just my opinion, FWIW.

Certainly, music should be inclusive. I don't think names really matter in the long run. I have heard interviews with famous people in the food world who when referred to as a gourmet/chef, have replied that they only think of themselves as cook.

Top Bottom