Gibson Baritone Uke kits from the 60's?

Philphlash

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about ukulele building kits offered by Gibson in the 60's?

I've never heard about Gibson selling baritone ukulele kits, and it would not fit into the company strategy of that periode at all. Baritones were quite new then, they only offered them for a rather short while, and they had a very strict policy with vendors about orders and taking back unsold stock. In those days, they were aiming for the higher end of the market, and used other brands for lower end, 'entry level' products.

Having said that, the baritones are among the most varied of the Gibson ukuleles. I've seen them with a wide variety of headstocks, fretmarking dots, saddles... That's probably what caused your question, a seemingly patched-together Gibson baritone uke?

Saw this video about a Gibson baritone kit.

From the reverb site I understand this is assembled in 2012 by Kamazoo luthier Aaron Cowles.

I would think this more of a 'built-with-spare-parts' baritone, than an actual 'DIY assembly kit'. The bridge doesn't look like a Gibson at all, pickguard and pickup are also non-Gibson-in-the-1960s (but very nice touches). Gibson did some very dark tops on ukuleles, but never on sunburst backs, and the tuners are certainly not from the 1960s. I could go on, but I think this is a wonderful instrument, but a 2012 instrument built with old stock-materials (certainly the neck and headstock, probably the back and sides as well), but not from a boxed 'complete parts for one Gibson baritone ukulele'.

Top Bottom