Steve Doreen, Lone Tree, Driftwood Cedar/Eucalyptus Concert.

Teej

Reaction score
An impulse buy of a Kala Soprano in January led to a bad case of UAS.
An OHana CK-28 mahogany concert quickly followed and the quest for a tenor was well underway when I encountered the dulcet tones of a cedar topped concert by Steve Doreen of Victoria BC. I bought it purely for the sound notwithstanding that I was seeking a tenor, that it was way above budget, that there were potential marital consequences and that I knew little about ukuleles at the time. Sometimes you just luck out.
Seven months into my obsession playing daily and reading everything I can find including all of Barry’s reviews, I realize what a gem I have.
I found the ad that Steve Doreen had posted on FB after I bought it.
Warm deep tone, characteristic of cedar, I learned, with great sustain. My wife tells me not to sell this one.
Radiused Granadillo fretboard, Grovers, mahogany neck and walnut purfling.
The build quality is superb right up there with the top luthier made ukuleles I have had the pleasure to examine and play like Mya Moes.
Steve Doreen has moved his shop to Lake Cowichan BC and has rebranded as Lone Tree Guitars and Ukuleles. His instruments are being played by some formidable musicians in the area.
This one will I hope become an heirloom for one of my Vancouver Island grandaughters. I am planning to commission a spruce top tenor now that I know what I like, because although my Kanile’a is probably as close to heaven as I will get, it does get lost in a crowd.

View attachment 111099

Attachments

• FF4E9BC9-9051-4A83-8288-4BDE33C6C392.jpg
    FF4E9BC9-9051-4A83-8288-4BDE33C6C392.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 65
  • EBA3C49A-2B4D-4B87-A33E-F95E5514F186.jpg
    EBA3C49A-2B4D-4B87-A33E-F95E5514F186.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 769C9E4B-45FE-477D-9781-A45933779685.jpg
    769C9E4B-45FE-477D-9781-A45933779685.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 59
  • AED86500-E3D9-448B-BE7B-4F32649B3553.jpg
    AED86500-E3D9-448B-BE7B-4F32649B3553.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Looks great and you’re obviously in love with it. Enjoy!

An impulse buy of a Kala Soprano in January led to a bad case of UAS.
An OHana CK-28 mahogany concert quickly followed and the quest for a tenor was well underway when I encountered the dulcet tones of a cedar topped concert by Steve Doreen of Victoria BC. I bought it purely for the sound notwithstanding that I was seeking a tenor, that it was way above budget, that there were potential marital consequences and that I knew little about ukuleles at the time. Sometimes you just luck out.
Seven months into my obsession playing daily and reading everything I can find including all of Barry’s reviews, I realize what a gem I have.
I found the ad that Steve Doreen had posted on FB after I bought it.
Warm deep tone, characteristic of cedar, I learned, with great sustain. My wife tells me not to sell this one.
Radiused Granadillo fretboard, Grovers, mahogany neck and walnut purfling.
The build quality is superb right up there with the top luthier made ukuleles I have had the pleasure to examine and play like Mya Moes.
Steve Doreen has moved his shop to Lake Cowichan BC and has rebranded as Lone Tree Guitars and Ukuleles. His instruments are being played by some formidable musicians in the area.
This one will I hope become an heirloom for one of my Vancouver Island grandaughters. I am planning to commission a spruce top tenor now that I know what I like, because although my Kanile’a is probably as close to heaven as I will get, it does get lost in a crowd.

View attachment 111099

We love Steve's ukes here at Tapestry Music! They just ooze quality and feel amazing. Happy playing!

Yeah, Steve’s the guy for an amazing west coast uke!

I recently received the custom soprano that Steve built for me. We were looking to create an instrument that would play well in the Ruby Ukes Orchestra that I am a member of. My soprano has west coast maple back and sides, western hemlock front and pacific yew binding and fretboard. Steve also added a bit of extra width to the body to allow for just a touch more volume from this wee uke.

I love this uke, play it daily and feel it’s the perfect match for my playing style and context.

Yeah, Steve’s the guy for an amazing west coast uke!

I recently received the custom soprano that Steve built for me. We were looking to create an instrument that would play well in the Ruby Ukes Orchestra that I am a member of. My soprano has west coast maple back and sides, western hemlock front and pacific yew binding and fretboard. Steve also added a bit of extra width to the body to allow for just a touch more volume from this wee uke.

I love this uke, play it daily and feel it’s the perfect match for my playing style and context.

That's awesome! Enjoy your new uke :)

Top Bottom