NUD: Sailor Brand Tenor Uke

mineymole

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Got this wonderful Sailor Brand tenor uke from Uke Republic. Mike was fantastic to deal with!

Sounds wonderful. Solid Spruce top, solid poplar body with a Kawazinga veneer. I put Aquila Lavas on it with a high G and wound C.

Take a look:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/unKq38pBpH6Sh1Hp6

Last edited:
Nice! I like their use of veneers. Makes the fancy woods go farther and there's nothing wrong with the acoustics of poplar. Looking forward to a playing sample.

Last edited:
Quite the nice looking Ukulele. Congratulations mineymole. The Kawazinga is beautiful.
I agree with Jim, they make great use of veneers.
Enjoy,
Steve.

Congratulations! It's gorgeous :drool:

How do you record a sample?

One reason I don't post sound samples is that I don't want to display my mediocre playing for all the world to hear. Another reason is the low quality audio I would probably get from my equipment. I doubt that anyone would get a true impression of the sound of the uke from my sound clips.

It's like a review of a camera that shows sample pictures. They always look good, regardless of the camera being reviewed.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a beautiful Sailor. congrats, I know it sounds good, because I know who built it!

Are you using your computer then to record? What program?

I've used several over the years. On Windows, I mostly use Propellerhead Reason these days but have used Cockos Reaper and probably Audacity way back.

On iPhone/iPad, there have also been a few apps, mostly Cubasis lately but also Multitrack DAW and even AudioShare on occasion.

I've used several over the years. On Windows, I mostly use Propellerhead Reason these days but have used Cockos Reaper and probably Audacity way back.

On iPhone/iPad, there have also been a few apps, mostly Cubasis lately but also Multitrack DAW and even AudioShare on occasion.

Vic Schmeltz uses an iRig Mic Studio microphone and iPhone 6 for his reviews, and that looks like a good combination. The link below might be the one he uses, not something the casual user would need.

https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-digital-microphone-Android/dp/B00TY2X18S

Just curious, I have impression that somehow, sailor is an offshoot of Loprenzi ukes. Is that true?

Also, so back and sides are always solid poplar wood, but with a thin veneer of fancy solid wood. Is that correct? That seems smart to me and the results look great

I seem to also have impression Jupiter Uke also in Florida do similar thing. Jim, don’t you have a custom Jupiter in the works?

Or am I all wet LOL on these impressions

Anyways congrats on a great looking ukulele. I’d love to hear a sound sample!

Sailor is a offshoot of Loprenzi. I believe Donna Loprinzi is the lead luthier for Sailor. AFAIK, that isn't officially company "policy" however.

I don't know about "always" but poplar/veneer is very common on the "regular" line of Sailor right now. I know they have a "premium" line as well.

To my knowledge, Jupiter is not doing doing the veneer thing, but you'd have to ask Jon. My custom guilele is solid sycamore.

Just curious, I have impression that somehow, sailor is an offshoot of Loprenzi ukes. Is that true?

Also, so back and sides are always solid poplar wood, but with a thin veneer of fancy solid wood. Is that correct? That seems smart to me and the results look great

I seem to also have impression Jupiter Uke also in Florida do similar thing. Jim, don’t you have a custom Jupiter in the works?

Or am I all wet LOL on these impressions

Anyways congrats on a great looking ukulele. I’d love to hear a sound sample!

I have read that Loprenzi does make the Sailor Brand but only for Uke Republic. The body is solid poplar with a veneer of a fancy wood. The work on it is very good especially given its price point. It sound great!

Top Bottom