aDF#B Tuning for the Soprano Flea?

Bill Sheehan

Reaction score
Please forgive if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I'm wondering if any of the forum members have tried or currently use the aDF#B tuning on their soprano-scale Flea (with plastic fretboard), and if so, what has been your experience with that? Thanks! -Bill

I'm almost tempted to buy myself a Flea just so I can answer that question in the affirmative for you! I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't.

Hello Bill - Maybe try it half step at a time?

Thanks guys, and that's a good point, bsfloyd, it would make sense to try going up a half-step and see how it rings and feels at that level...
Jim, I say go ahead and get a Flea at your earliest opportunity!!!

Well, it appears that the "half step up" approach may indeed be well worth considering for the soprano Flea. I moved it up there a couple of days ago, and it really seems to have hit its sweet-spot now. The strings (Martin M-600's) don't feel quite as "floppy", and the notes seem to ring out "cleaner"; in fact, I was having a little problem with a "dead" note on the sixth fret of the 4th string, and that little bit of extra tension has taken care of that! So... THANKS, bsfloyd, for your suggestion!
And jimavery... I'd say grab a Flea at your earliest opportunity; I think they're a great value.

Very good to hear that worked for you, Bill!! Are you going to stop there or are you going to go for the full step up?

Excellent points, Bill1. For the solo player especially, there's no reason why we can't make those adjustments on the basis of what (to our ear) seems to bring out the best in terms of combining the "feel" and the "voice" of the specific instrument, and settling on a tuning level that "optimizes" both factors, as long as the uke is "in tune with itself". And yes, bsfloyd, I did go ahead and tinker this afternoon with the aDF#B tuning on the Flea, but it seemed a little too "taut", and some of the notes seemed a little "stifled", so I'm back in g#C#FA# (a half-step above "standard"), which feels and sounds really nice. I must confess, I might be a little addicted to the tuner, perhaps because of the sense of security it gives me!

Last edited:
Shame, I was hoping you would take this to its logical conclusion and discover the joy that is BbEbGC!

Excellent points, Bill1. For the solo player especially, there's no reason why we can't make those adjustments on the basis of what (to our ear) seems to bring out the best in terms of combining the "feel" and the "voice" of the specific instrument, and settling on a tuning level that "optimizes" both factors, as long as the uke is "in tune with itself". And yes, bsfloyd, I did go ahead and tinker this afternoon with the aDF#B tuning on the Flea, but it seemed a little too "taut", and some of the notes seemed a little "stifled", so I'm back in g#C#FA# (a half-step above "standard"), which feels and sounds really nice. I must confess, I might be a little addicted to the tuner, perhaps because of the sense of security it gives me!

If you were wanting to keep to D tuning then I suppose that you could fit a capo on the first fret. After that I’d be surprised if a trawl through Booli’s comments didn’t produce a set of strings that were right for the Flea in D tuning.

Last edited:
Thanks Graham, Bill and all, for the great insight! For starters, I just might consider some Fremont Blackline "hard tensions", and see how they do in the C tuning.
As Johnny Carson might have said, "Film at eleven..."

Last edited:
Thanks Graham, Bill and all, for the great insight! For starters, I just might consider some Fremont Blackline "hard tensions", and see how they do in the C tuning.
As Johnny Carson might have said, "Film at eleven..."
I'd like to hear what you find. I have a Flight/Mahilele that sounds great tuned to D and has way too much midrange tuned to C. It's very similar to a Flea.

Well for goodness sake, Jim, how did I not see that??? My bad! The only explanation I can offer is that I must have been having a greater-than-average number of "senior moments" on the day that I wrote that, including misplacing my car keys and eventually finding them in the trash can!
Now, I will ask, have you in fact utilized that higher tuning, an additional half-step up from aDF#B?
And Ziret, I'll let you know my impressions as I experiment further! Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely. Some of the songs I play from old sheet music have ukulele chord diagrams notated for BbEbGC. One in particular that springs to mind is one called "(I love to play) My Ukulele", which was recorded by Max Bygraves. Also, almost anything in the key of Eb Major is easier to strum along to in Eb tuning. Yes I could use a capo, but don't like to. For a while I kept a uke in Eb tuning for those occasions when I needed it, but discovered that for most purposes (except playing along to a recording in Eb Major), ADF#B is close enough.

Very interesting. I see from your avatar that you're an ADF#B proponent. Do you go the "re-entrant" route?

My soprano Flea is in this tuning (up one step from the normal gcea). It has Aquila Reds on it. I’ve had it this way for quite awhile. No issues. Definitely sounds better in this tuning. I have the wood Koa / wooden fretboard though

Very interesting. I see from your avatar that you're an ADF#B proponent. Do you go the "re-entrant" route?

Yes, except just to be different, my tenor uke is usually tuned linear EAC#F# (with an Aquila red string for the low E).

The re-entrant strings I normally use on the soprano are Harley Benton (a brand of Thomann.de) which happen to be very thin so ideally suited to higher tunings. If I were thinking of putting a low Bb on for linear tuning (and now you mention it I'll give it a try) I'd substitute that string for a more conventional thickness C string.

Thanks, Jim and all. I think the "tinkering factor" is one of the most fun aspects of the ukulele, and nowhere is that more evident than in trying out various tunings, string sets and brands, etc.

Top Bottom