Season 339 - "Let There Be Light"

Whoda thunk Katrina and the Waves had two songs.

Found this song many seasons ago when Bev hosted a Eurovision season and I have enjoyed it since.

Here's another Jimmy C. Newman song I've always really liked, so I did it. The light references are in the 2nd verse.

Looking for songs with "Light" in the title, I ran across this one by the Lumineers. My daughter listens to them, but I'd never heard this one before. At first, I thought, no way, I could never pull that one off. But the more times I listened, it really grew on me, and I decided to try it anyway, so here it is. Of course, I'm singing this more than an octave lower than the Lumineers' singer, wow, what a voice, I so wish I could hit his notes ;)

Last edited:
This is an iconic song by Asleep at the Wheel, so I guess that's a good enough reason to choose it. Go listen to the original, you won't regret it!

Last edited:
I dabbled with GarageBand on my iPad with a little usb music keyboard a few years back - it was fun for a little while until the novelty wore off. Never tried using it (GarageBand) with my ukulele - until today! Took a while re-acquainting myself with its updated features but managed to make some progress. The reason for doing it was to add a bit of reverb to my dull singing voice, and a bit to the uke as well. Wasn’t sure whether to post the result here or not (in fact I deleted it from YouTube after first uploading - I was that doubtful about it. Anyway, I uploaded it again and I’ve decided to give it a go here to see what the general reaction is. Not sure this week’s host will like it - I’ve heard he’s a bit of a weirdo! ;)
It’s another old 80s favourite of mine by a synth duo called Soft Cell, who made some cracking music.
If you can stick with it to the chorus it does improve a bit - I promise!

Light.

This song is about the joy-pain-joy of children born with birth defects. In the case of the writer, it was down syndrome. The joy felt when seeing the birth of your child. Then emotion and pain felt when you see and hear the child isnt perfect. The pure joy when you see the perfect light of person not the darkness of the defect.

Looking for something else and found the 1st iPod I ever bought. One of those ones with the ring made of separate buttons instead of the wheel. This was on it (warning, 1 f*** in the 3rd verse)...

I don’t think I’ve heard anything, old or new, from Belle and Sebastian for a long time, but damn they wrote some really catchy sad pop songs.

My first entry this Season. Super busy week!
Here's a Paul McCartney tune from Red Rose Speedway.

the first thing i do in a season is ask, can i bring a :bowdown: marc bolan song? the next thing i usually ask is, can i bring a :bowdown: hawkwind song? it is a happy week indeed, when i can find songs by both, to fit! i approximated this song, down to one whole chord! yeah baby, that's my kinda song!!!!!!!!! :rock:

"lighthouse"

Morning all - just a quick message to ask you to check that I've commented on all your songs and added them to the playlist. I'm aware of one boo-boo so far (sorry TCK), but please don't be shy - if you think I've missed anything please let me know ASAP and I'll sort it. I have 3 excuses: 1- I'm new to this game; 2- I've had 116 songs to listen and comment on so far; 3- I'm an idiot! Okay - number 3 is the most likely! ;)

Keep 'em coming!

A sun song, from the Velvet Underground, always a good bet for uke songs.
I have come down to Devon for the Beautiful Days festival, on a slightly packed campsite. Here until Monday, or longer if the vans boxing me in don't move.

Here's a Porter Wagoner song I did when I first joined the Seasons, took the sopranino challenge on it this time, and it really was a challenge between the picking, and the chords I had to make on it after the modulation. Whew. I like Porter Wagoner songs like this where he tried to fuse a bit of funk and/or disco influences into an otherwise folksy tune.

"How Brightly Shines The Morning Star" (1725) by Johann Sebastian Bach. Tabs from PDF ministrel site. Slow and rough version - eventually, I try to learn playing some instrumental tabs. The title seemed appropriate for this week. I'm not religious, but I believe in Bach. :)

THe Smokey Life

A Leonard Cohen song. The Smokey Life
With Leonard relationships were always tenuous, ephemeral fleeting, like a wisp of smoke in the air... nothing solid to grab hold of. In relationships coming to an end there is often an air of secrecy, that things can not be talked about, and partners do not walk in the light with each other... and hey that's no way to say goodbye.

Is the light he talks about one where is is openness and truthfulness
or are relationships as light as a wisp of smoke?

With Leonard you never can tell, or is the smokey life something more prosaic like an indulgence in some herb?
After all they were walking on air.

Last edited:

I was inspired by a recent interview with Rebecca Sugar to play this. I learned in five minutes (perhaps you can tell).

I’m holding steady at 76 subscribers! This is a great day to subscribe to my new YouTube channel!

Top Bottom