Season 339 - "Let There Be Light"

DelGriff

A very boring man!
Reaction score

Hello everyone, and welcome to my first season as host – I’m expecting great things!

I wanted to choose a theme that has some kind of connection to me and my life – I’m a dispensing optician by trade and as the word optician is derived from the word optics, which is the study of light, it seems a natural fit for my theme – so “let there be light”.

Now although that’s a quote from the Bible, this isn’t in any way, shape or form intended to be a religious theme – though any hymns or spiritual songs that fit the following criteria would still be welcome.

And those criteria are:

I’d like you to submit songs that contain the word ‘light’ in their lyrics or in their title, or songs that have been recorded by a group or artist with the word ‘light’ in their name.

You may also submit songs that don’t necessarily contain the actual word ‘light’, but that contain light-related or light-emitting phenomena or objects in their title or lyrics – for example the sun, stars, lamps, rainbows, shadows etc

However, the alternative meaning of the word light – as in the opposite to heavy – is NOT permissible.

Check with me if you’re not sure about a particular song – either in the main thread or by pm – and I’ll clarify it for you.

There will be 3 winners and probably several honourable mentions at the end of the week. Each of the 3 winners will receive a home-made Winners’ t-shirt (see video above if you want to know how cool they are) – and I’ll be judging on merit.

There’ll be a maximum of 2 entries per person per day, and all recordings must be new for this week please – new recordings of songs you’ve done for other seasons will be fine as long as they fit the theme. Originals, collaborations and multitracking will be very welcome, but the ukulele must be the prominent instrument.

As usual submit your entries from midnight Saturday Hawaiian time right up until midnight Sunday Hawaiian time 8 days later. I’ll post comments on all songs on YouTube, and I’ll put a playlist at the bottom of this post which I’ll update regularly.

I’d be very interested to hear why you’ve chosen the songs that you choose to play – it may simply be that the song suits the theme and you can play it – or your chosen song may be particularly special to you – it may evoke a memory or remind you of an old friend or an event from the past. If you’re like me you’ll tend to choose songs to play that you like, and for me that often goes some way beyond just enjoying the tune. So if you can include some form of written introduction in your video posts all the better.

I’ve noticed over the last couple of days that there have been some technical issues related to security that have caused the forum to be unavailable sometimes – please don’t be deterred by this – if you can’t log on at any time please keep trying later on.

And don't forget that Linda's Willie season still has a day to go and is now in unlimited entry status!

Let me know if I’ve missed anything – I really hope you enjoy the week – and "let there be light!"

Thanks, Del

Playlist

Last edited:
Excellent, Del ... both the theme and the intro!

Yep a bright start to the week.One of the songwriter's favourite metaphors / subjects.A whole universe of great songs available.Thank you sir!

really great theme idea! super intro vid, and wonderful prize tees! fantastic start to your week!

Thank you all for your kind comments - hopefully plenty of mileage in the theme for everyone! :)

I'll ask the same question I asked last season. Will you allow a guitalele? I'm not going to make it with my song for last season, but the same song works for your theme too.

Being from Northern California, I may be bit preoccupied...don’t know if you know this (I really hope you don’t), but 300+ thousand acres really changes the complexion of light. Not sure if that particular glow is what you had in mind, but does fire count? At this point embracing my inner Phoenix just feels right. If not...I have plenty to keep you busy
;)

Being from Northern California, I may be bit preoccupied...don’t know if you know this (I really hope you don’t), but 300+ thousand acres really changes the complexion of light. Not sure if that particular glow is what you had in mind, but does fire count? At this point embracing my inner Phoenix just feels right. If not...I have plenty to keep you busy
;)

So sorry you're going through this again TCK. I've seen photos and they are terrifying!

Del, a great theme with endless ideas for songs.

Do you know who has set the bar the highest???
The latest host, always!!!
Tomorrow you will be at the top of that list Del. Thanks so much for taking this on :)

LL

;)
Scary stuff - hope you and your family and friends are okay! Fire emits light, so is more than acceptable.

Thanks for your kind comments Pa & Linda - I think I’ll be kept busy here this week! :)

I'll ask the same question I asked last season. Will you allow a guitalele? I'm not going to make it with my song for last season, but the same song works for your theme too.
I’d prefer 4 strings to 6, but one song with the guitalele will be acceptable. Hope that’s not too harsh.

I’d prefer 4 strings to 6, but one song with the guitalele will be acceptable. Hope that’s not too harsh.

Not at all. I'm just looking for an excuse to keep practising on my new toy.

Fantastic theme Del! Thanks for hosting, and for the reminder that; I need to get a new pair of reading glasses :) No deep reasons on this particular song choice. I've just been learning my first Van Morrison song, and it mentions sunlight and rainbows. I wanted to bring some live takes to your season this week in honor of you and all those who bring the live take week in and week out. This one's for you ~

Last year One Man and His Uke did an excellent 80s synth pop week that I had a lot of fun in. Did 7 or 8 songs but didn't get the chance to squeeze this one in, which is a shame because as I was digging around for songs to do I stumbled across the excellent MTV Unplugged version. (Check it out)

Hope sunshine is enough light for you Del. Great theme!

This video also marks the long-awaited return of the early Sunday morning bedhead special. First since Isaac got here.

Last edited:
One of my favourite Gospel Blues.Most often associated with Rev.Gary Davis but I have a feeling it may be a Traditional that predates him.There are many versions with different lyrics...but the constant is the light source...The lamp.

Top Bottom