Season 339 - "Let There Be Light"

I did this one at the tail end of last year, Season 300, the deep cuts week. No apologies for repeating it so soon - it is just one of the most enchanting songs I know. Declan O'Rourke's Galileo - "who lights the stars at night?"

This is by an Australian named Doug Ashdown. Written in 1974 it was a minor hit in Australia and for some reason a bigger hit in Holland.It is written from the perspective of an ex-pat Australian living in the US.Feeling homesick during a cold American winter remembering the warm December back home.And thinking of his ex love with another man "sharing our morning sun".Always liked the song and it makes feel nostalgic.

My first song for this season is a french children's song called Au clair de la lune
I found an English translation:
https://lyricstranslate.com/de/au-clair-de-la-lune-under-moonlight.html

Under the moonlight,
my friend Pierrot,
lend me your pen
to write a word.
My candle is dead
I don't have a light anymore
open your door for me
for God's sake.

Well, the moon itself produces no light, it only reflects the sunlight.
But why take the illusions away from the children?

Here's a Porter Wagoner song that's not too well known, but I love it. I did it over a year ago, and found it quite difficult to pull off, and found it quite difficult to pull off now, so I guess it's difficult to pull off! Not even sure why, it's the timing I think. I like the sweet and innocent mood of the song, yet at the same time the guy is clearly hoping for more.

Back from vacation :)
Not my cleanest fretting, but wanted to record it before work starts tommorow and I will have no time for it.

This song had to be done!

Wow guys - stunning response already - think I’m in for a busy week! :D

I’ll catch up with listening and make a start on the playlist in an hour or two - baking biscuits right now with my little girl for her birthday party! We thought we’d choose some appropriate shapes for the theme:

E10EBFF5-30AF-4F2C-A8F2-19023869E611.jpg :)

Last edited:
Here is my favourite song from one of my favourite albums. I've wanted to play this for ages. Slightly scaled down due to sleeping family though

Moondance instrumental

My 4th consecutive season already. For the lights season I have chosen Van Morrisons hit Moondance which features the word moonlight. However not in my version which is an instrumental. I only follow the melody line very loosely and am more soloing freestyle but I think you can hear Moondance in there somewhere.

Van Morrison is one of my musical heroes and it was a pleasure to work with this tune. Hope you like it.

For this season I am playing my Godin Multiuke tenor.

Here's a David Allan Coe song from the mid 70's about the trappings of fame. I consider this period to be the height of his creativity, hence I think this is a strong song.

This is a song that reached out and grabbed me by the throat the first time I heard it on Emmylou Harris' album Cowgirl's Prayer. It was the first song I thought of when I saw this week's theme. I think this is the third time I've used it for a season, but this time I used the baritone and finger-picked it. Before, I used a tenor and strummed it.

Back during my brief time as a truck driver, I bought a cheap guitar with which to attempt to pass the time. Too bad I didn't think of buying a uke back then. Anyway, I found myself drawn to this song, and discovered that I had somehow memorized all the words although I had never even thought about trying to memorize it.

There's a line in this song, "'Sunshine' made her cry..." Many people think this is referring to Denver's song "Sunshine On My Shoulders." I'm pretty sure it is actually a reference to a mostly forgotten 1975 TV series called "Sunshine," which used Denver's song "Sunshine On My Shoulders" as its theme song, and for which he wrote much of the incidental music. The main character was a sort of John Denver-like character. It ran for only 13 episodes. It was put up against The Waltons so it didn't have much of a chance, but I remember watching it because of its connection with John Denver. It was a sort of feel-good family-oriented comedy/drama.

All of the photos were taken from desktopnexus, which is a desktop wallpaper site, except for the last two, which are my own photographs.

Also, Del, you might want to check out season 232 when you have the time. It was all about seeing and vision.

Last edited:
Top Bottom