Season 339 - "Let There Be Light"

this is the first song that popped into my head...because Them is one of my favorite bands. Decided it was worth a shot.

I always love trying to play old progressive rock songs, and there's a lot of them that fit this theme. This is a Genesis song from their concept album "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway".

further to recent chit chat about guitalele's, i got mine a little while ago to help me reacquaint myself with 6-string guitar chord shapes. however.............. it will come as no surprise to anyone, that i open-tuned it the other day, and so am not playing chord shapes of any kind on it at all now! duh! anyway, i was plinking on it for kicks, and this homemade-y song kind of wrote itself for the season...

"shine your light on me, baby"

This is a Chinese children song i learned in school when i was a small kid. It always made me feel a little sad but i didn't know why at that age.

A few years ago i found out that this was originally a Korean folk song, written in 1924 by 尹克荣 ( Yinke Rong). The story was that Yinke's brother-in-law had passed away in September that year, and the grief that his sister suffered was so much that she would often look out for the half moon that would appear in the sky during the day. To her that half moon reminded her of her husband who had passed on.

Yinke wrote this song to express his sister's grief. It was also to show the sadness he felt towards the loss of his home land. (Korea was ruled by Japan at that time.)

Originally titled Half Moon, this Korean song had been translated into Japanese and Chinese( in 1950) and became a very popular Chinese children song since then.

The last line of the lyrics suggests hope. I read that Yinke struggled with that last line, and decided to leave a light on.

I made some illustrations today, and stitched them together so the booklet opened out like a ladder.

A Walter de la Mare poem, put to music by me:p

Me
As long as I live
I shall always be
My Self - and no other,
Just me.

Like a tree -
Willow, elder,
Aspen, thorn,
Or cypress forlorn.

Like a flower,
For its hour -
Primrose, or pink,

Or a violet -
Sunned by the sun,
And with the dewdrops wet.

Always just me.
Till the day come on
When I leave this body,
It's all then done.
And the spirit within it
Is gone.

a song I wrote for my wife.

CANDLE

Bike tyres they go flat as days they sometimes will
The sun wakes up beside a moon dozing behind a sill
And when you see a shadow there's no need to look behind ya
it only means I've sent a light somewhere out there to find ya

Now it's easy just to look at life through an Xbox or PlayStation
And consequences only figments of our imagination
And when you hide yourself away like clouds behind the rain
And what once passed for sleeping is just a pillow for the slain

I will keep a candle burning
For you

So let's both find a streetlamp any chance we get
Cause dreams will take us places we'd just as soon forget
But like the school bell rings at 9am and the workers all clock in
Wishing sunrise it was sunset
And we're all going home...

And this ol' world will keep on turning
For you

Last edited:

I think the “mornings of gold” line makes this eligible, since the Goblin King is clearly not singing about coin.

In unrelated news, I have gotten to 75 subscribers! My next goal is the big 100, and I will donate to the Lustgarten Cancer Foundation when I hit that goal. (I will also stop actively flogging my channel!) Please subscribe to my new YouTube channel!

I started thinking of Del mentioning shadows are an interesting concept for this weeks Season, and this old Doo Wop song popped in my head......

I wrote this on the train on the way to work the past couple of days.Bit hard to write without an instrument but I played the uke in the morning to get a melody in my head.Then work on lyrics on the train.A name check on one of my favourite Jazz guys included.
Plenty of light references.
Cheers

Convenience store lovers
That’s what we were
In the discounted aisle
Strange things occur

You were on a hard rebound
From the Lightnin’ Duke of Spain
And I was just looking
To be in the game

I fall in love to easily
I fall in love too fast
Like any two bit actor
Always gets miscast

My Amsterdam light
Grew too grey for your heart
And there was always Lightnin’s shadow
Pushing us apart

And Chet Baker’s trumpet
Was the last thing I heard
The night you became
A migratory bird

Saw you open that letter a week ago
I could harvest sun from the way you glowed
Well I guess you’ve gone to Cordoba town
Where the Duke has declared that up is down

Red lights and hold tights
Canals get double crossed
I’ll launch your old letters
A flotilla of the lost

My soundtrack companion
Well he’s blowing “Almost Blue”
And I’ll be happy-sad
Till I find a better you

Chet Baker’s trumpet was
The last thing I heard
The night that you left
With never a word

Hello again, Del! I THINK I have just uploaded a vid. (the Internet is functioning at about half-speed just now and it's virtually impossible to do anything). Anyway, this is the theme from "Sesame Street", which I'm not sure I've ever actually seen, although we DID have a cookie monster in the house at one time! This version is sort of based on one done by Joshua Radin (an actor from "Scrubs" - another show I've never watched.) So ... absolutely no connections to anything here!

Don't Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes

-- A quickie 2-chord, with the Mac on my lap, hence the giant ukulele, which is actually a concert-size. (Mainland cedar/rosewood)

Homer and Jethro did a parody of this, which was popular in my area. (somewhere between the bayous and pine-covered hills)

Leaning on a Lamppost (in hell).

I think I may have done this one before, but hey.

Fun fact: This is about the only George Formby number for which he wasn't able to snag a song-writing credit. His wife and manager, the formidable Beryl, used to make it a condition of George's covering a song that George be given co-author credit, but 'Leaning on a Lamp-post" was the one that got away. Unlike other impoverished tunesmiths of the 1930s, Noel Gay, who'd written 'Me and My Girl' and 'The Lambeth Walk' was at the peak of his success, and for once, Beryl met her match.

Fun fact 2: 'The Lambeth Walk' became so insanely popular, Mussolini demanded to be taught how to do it.

Fun fact 3: 'The Lambeth Walk' also features in one of the first-ever mash-ups, from 1940 "Lambeth Walk: Nazi Style". The tune was put together with footage from Leni Reifenstahl's documentary of the 1936 Berlin Olympics "Triumph of the Will", by one Charles Ridley, a British civil servant working in the wartime Ministry of Information. On viewing it, Goebbels apparently flew out of the room in a rage!
This version has a different title, because the Min. of I. distributed it without commentary and different distributors would add their own opening credits.

Season 339. Submission 2. "No Reply" (Written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney and recorded by the Beatles, 1964)

Del, I read this morning that today is the anniversary (August 15th) of the second Beatles at Shea Stadium concert. That got me thinking about them. (I actually saw their last concert at Shea in August of 1966.) And so, when I picked up the uke this morning it was to revisit Beatles songs. And guess what I found in this one? That tell-tale light in the window .........

Last edited:
**Thank you Joo. Your expression of words is special, and thank you for the kind thoughts. Words written carry the most special message to the recipient. **

Gina

I wrote this song, after I tore up a letter I wrote.
how many words have I written but not sent?
how many words have I spoken but not heard?

I struggle with words when I try to describe something, to say something. I have always struggled with words.

I hold on to things, but they don't last.
yet the glitter is stubborn, like scars.

stars are not like glitter.

I recorded this song after I heard Gina's tribute to her brother. I hope Nick will find his rainbow too, Gina.[/QUOTE]

Greetings,

A treasure was given to me yesterday, scraps of paper with words and chords scrawled on them written by my brother who passed. I never knew he wrote poetry, or music. No one in my family did. So with his words and chord selection I have found one that will meet the criteria. I will try to bring Nick's lyrics to life for this season.

Ciao

What a gorgeous gift, Gina! I know that you'll treasure that forever in the deepest places of your heart.

Del, my bad for forgetting to give you backstory on my song choices. I've edited both of my posts now to do that. Mea culpa! And it won't happen again. ;)

Here is my first (and possibly only) contribution to this great theme.

It is one of my "protest" songs and before you listen let me tell you how I imagined hearing it. I would love to have had a full gospel choir sing the choruses and offer responses to the lines of the verses. Sadly, my budget won't run to that and my electronic vocal partner (Line 6 Voice Live) may well have offered an alternative hint at what that might have sounded like, but I didn't have the time to record with it.

That said, I hope you enjoy my latest song, written especially for SOTU 339

Top Bottom