Season 339 - "Let There Be Light"

A last song from me - the very sad ‘Seasons In The Sun’ by Terry Jacks. Always reminds of a particular summer caravan holiday when I was a kid back in the 1970s. For me, most childhood holidays have a particular song that I associate with them - as soon as I hear the song I remember the place, some of the things we did, even sounds and smells.

“One Summer Dream”

Hi all,

I rarely do covers, but when my attempt to write an original fell flat, I realized that any song by electric LIGHT orchestra would work!

This song is a favorite of my wife and me, and was our song when we first dated. When we broke up the first time, she got me a copy of ELO’s album “Face The Music” which this song is from. She wrote on the dust jacket inside “even though it may have been one Summer Dream, I will always love you.” It broke my heart!

That was April of 1981. We got back together later that summer, broke up again, dated on and off for years, then got engaged in April of 1987 and married in July of 1988.

It has been a long Summer Dream since, and not always rosy, but well worth it.

Hope the song and pictures speak to some. That whole album is great, and this song is beautiful. Probably not well known outside of ELO fans.

I have enjoyed listening this week! Glad our host is an ELO fan too!

Thanks all!

I figured this country classic, recorded by several major artists in the 70's, would be a good way for me to close out Del's excellent first Season.

Hey guys. Garage band will not let me load to YouTube which is easy to share here. It will only let me upload to sound cloud. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to share that here without a big read “error this is spam” coming up! Any suggestions?

Oh well, I had so much more to bring. Gordon Lightfoot, Sundown. An original and a Don Williams song I wasn’t able to post last week.

hey janet. is there some work-around way you can type the sound cloud link, like "thingummyblahsoundcloud dot com", or something, you know like people do to type a link but not have it come up as a link?

here's another homemade-y from me

"see the dawn come up now, baby" - mentions light and the sun...

Oh well, I had so much more to bring. Gordon Lightfoot, Sundown. An original and a Don Williams song I wasn’t able to post last week.
I’m afraid I can’t provide a solution to your technical issue, but when you find one please post your songs here anyway - I’d love to hear them, even if the season has ended by then. Thank you! :)

A bit late to the party. This song was written in 1933 and was a hit for Marty Robbins in the 1950s. Nils Hellström wrote lyrics in Swedish in 1935, turning it into a Christmas song: "När ljusen tändas där hemma". The lamp in the lyrics in English was replaced by candles. It describes an old/lonely man/woman sitting, when the darkness of the evening arrives, and dreaming of his/her childhood and old home. Many people associate this song with the emigration from Sweden to the United States during the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century, leaving childhood and home behind.

I can officially declare the season ended! Thanks all so much for your songs, your enthusiasm and your support - it's been a fantastic experience for me and a great way of getting to know you all a little better too! I'll take a couple of days to go back over everything and decide on some winners - it won't be easy (bribes always welcome ;) ). Hoping to get the wrap done by Wednesday or Thursday (back to work this week so less time available!).

Thanks all again - you're all wonderful, talented people! :)

Del, what a great Season you've hosted! I hope you've enjoyed every minute of it! Thank you! :)

Sorry I’m not tec savvy enough to help with your uploading problems but I do hope you can do Sundown still at some point. Would love to hear that.

A fabulous week of music - thank you all so much!

Watch the above wrap video to see who were the winners. Could they please contact me by private message with an address to which I can send their prize.

Thanks again everyone - a hugely enjoyable first hosting experience for me. Now head over to Rick’s Doc and Merle season and do the same for him please!

I’ll put a winners playlist here sometime over the next day or two - watch this space!

EDIT: 339 Winners Playlist

Leave the light on! :cool:

Last edited:
Excellent wrap Del. Thanks for the shout out, a brilliant theme and really enjoyable first season. Yep, it’s good fun isn’t it?. I will have to try catch up with the playlist when I can. Well done the winners, wear your tees with pride....or alternatively, dust your ukes with pride ;)

Ps, Trent! 17 videos?!? Your going to make Rex and Alan look like proper lazy bones! :bowdown:

Last edited:
Thanks for a great season, Del ... you did a fine job! I just tried to download your wrap so that I could watch it, but, since it was apparently going to take 21 hours to do this, I decided to try again later!

oh wow! i am so thrilled to get a tee! "sleeping satellite" was an absolute labour of love for this week, it took me alot of working on, but i have always really loved the song, so thank you, del, for a super-inspiring week that motivated me to give it a go, and stick with it! a fabulous season, wonderful hosting, so many fantastic songs and performances. THANK YOU for a truly great week! :rock:

Top Bottom